Repair, replace or remove?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Mamie, May 18, 2018.

1. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I've got the one tank. I guess the electrical would need to be up to par where I could hook up at a campsite. This project is getting rather expensive and I haven't even done anything to the camper yet.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    One 20 lb tank will likely run a small PuP fridge close to a month...maybe longer.

Orchid likes this.
  3. Sonya Turner

Sonya Turner New Member

Jun 9, 2018
    I have a 3 way refrigerator in my Jayco popup. this past weekend while camping it starting making a vibrating noise. I could hear it coming from the cabinet beside the refrig. When I opened the cabinet door I saw a small silver canister thing (about the size of a can of oil) and it was vibrating and making a humming noise. When I touched it, it was very hot to the touch. I couldn't hold my hand on it b/c it was so hot. I turned the switched off above the refrig and it stop vibrating. I was afraid it would catch the camper on fire so I left it off for the duration of our trip and just used coolers. Any ideas to what was going on? Should I just remove it and get a dorm refrig?? thanks for the help.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  4. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I sure wouldn't have it on if you're not there.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This has been our set up for a few years now. I get so sick of having to move the fridge back and forth from camper to van. Since we replaced the 3-way fridge with a freezer of the same size, we need much less fridge size now. I have finally bit the bullet and ordered one that will fit when closed, so I can just put it on the floor.

Always seemed like a waste, since we have a perfectly working one, but finally decided to make life easier at any cost. I'm in the process of organizing our pup so that nothing has to be moved from van to camper when we set up. We do pack our fresh food in a cooler, but that cooler fits right in the doorway of camper. Even our clothing will already be in the camper before leaving home now.

6. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I didn't know there was a small freezer like that. I still don't know if my fridge works, but there's not much of a freezer in it, so that would eliminate frozen foods. I just bought me a new 48 qt cooler and will probably get another one. I'd rather have 2 small than 1 large because it would be too hard to handle.