Replace propane tank

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Tracy Devaux, Jun 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Tracy Devaux

Tracy Devaux New Member

I have a 2018 Jayco Pup and need to replace the propane tank. Can I have it refilled while still on camper or do I need to take tank off and if so how?

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Some of us take them off and exchange them to get fresh tanks.

You can get them refilled, on or off the camper, but off is easier. Put the tanks in your car and go get them filled as opposed to towing the camper to a place to have them filled.

kitphantom likes this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Easiest way is to remove the tank, chances are the date has expired, take it to Dollar general, wally world etc. than has LP tanks you can swap for a full tank for about $20.00 and the date will be good for sure then then take it home and put it on the unit. BTW a milk crate holds the tank nice and tight while in-route and will keep it from tipping or sliding around. Good Luck and happy Camping

Sjm9911 and theseus like this.
  4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

A 2018 trailer likely has a new tank. No way would I swap it....I don't swap in date tanks, anyway. Many of the retailers only put 4 gallons and charge an inflated flat fee. I take my tanks some place that sells by the gallon and charges for what I actually get.

5. bheff

bheff Active Member

This is the correct way. But if you have a way to keep it out of an enclosed vehicle. Do so. Swapping tanks at a box store is a RIP off.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Never seen any place but rv dealers fill a tank while still on a trailer..

xxxapache likes this.
  7. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I had a uhual place do it once, but that was one time.

The exchange tanks are physically smaller, then say a new purged tank I bought at Sams club. They don’t hold as much.

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

how do you take it off? That seems to be your question, correct?

9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Have you measured them? Just curious.

kitphantom likes this.
  10. xxxapache

I have never seen a smaller in physical size exchange tank.

kitphantom and nineoaks2004 like this.
  11. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Yes they (the purged new tanks) are physically bigger. About a inch more in diameter.

I’m guessing they are more like what 20# tanks used to be. The exchange ones are 15 to 17 pounds.

Those are the ones I have refilled...

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

They put less propane in the ones at box stores, this is so if they overheat they dont let off gas. Its a saftey thing. The tanks aren't bigger , at least in what they can hold. They just fill them less. There are many different configurations of tanks. If you have an old tank, its easy to exchange for a new one at the box stores, plus there open later. And depending on where you live it might be the only viable way to get a full tank. Bonous is they will exchange for any old tank, so out of date stuff , or older style tanks can be replaced easily.

13. xxxapache

From the Blue Rhino FAQ page:

"How much propane does Blue Rhino put in its tanks?

Inflationary pressures, including the volatile costs of steel, diesel fuel, and propane, have had a significant impact on the cylinder exchange industry. In 2008, to help control these rising costs, Blue Rhino followed the example of other consumer products companies with a product content change. We reduced the amount of propane in our tanks from 17 pounds to 15 pounds.

To ensure our consumers are properly notified, Blue Rhino clearly marks the amount of propane contained in our tanks, right on the package. Blue Rhino also notes the amount of propane contained in our tanks on our display signs."

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Can you post a pic of the style tank attachment you have? Our first popup was held in place by wing nuts at the base, which secured the ring at the bottom to the base, That was a small LP tank. Our Coleman had a 20# tank held in place by j-hooks, which had wing nuts at the bottom. When we added a second tank, we use the j-hooks and the hold down on the auto-changeover, so had to loosen the hold-down and remove the wing nuts to release the j-hooks. Not difficult, just a bit fiddly. [Our crrent TT only has the hold down.]
    We take the tanks to be filled in town. Used to be at a U-haul, until they made the parking lot so crowded that it was a hassle. The I found that the KOA 3 miles from our house (about the same distance as a couple of U-haul places and an oil change place that have LP) had the easiest parking and a great price. They charge by the amount they add to the tank, so we sometimes just have the tanks topped off so we begin a long trip with full tanks.
    It's just easier to take the tanks to be filled than tow the camper. Even when I had a tank refilled while in a KOA on a trip this year, I took the tank to the filling site. They took it back to my site for me.