Replacement Thermostat

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Alias, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Alias

Alias New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    I bought a used 2004 Palomino Yearling and went to use the heat/furnace and found i didn't have a thermostat. Does anyone know what i could use to replace this? Are they special thermostats or just a home thermostat would work?

Where I think it was mounted is the mounting plate with the wires attached so at least looks like it is wired.

Thanks.

2. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    Home thermostats can work. Just make sure it is a model that does not require 120V service to work. Some people go the digital route, but I prefer the old analog style. Unless it's exceedingly cold, mine is nothing more than a glorified on/off switch for the furnace.. :)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
  4. Alias

Alias New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Thanks for the quick reply. I was cold in NH this weekend and could have used heat.

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    You can save yourself a few bucks and get any t-stat that has a heat only circuit. You don't need one that does A/C and heat.

Digital is nice, but be sure to stock an extra battery or two in the PUP. Digital may chase the temp a little (frequent on/off) unless you have one you can adjust the anticpator on. Analog/Mechanical works well too, and typically you can adjust the anticipator mechanically if it keeps coming on/off or gets way too hot, and then way too cold.

They each have their advantages, but, you do only need one with a heat circuit, if you can find it. If you plan to mount it back in the little cubby it is in, it will need to physically fit too, if that is important to you.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We got much more even heat control when we changed to a digital thermostat in our popup and changed the location. The location had a lot to do with that, a few inches off the floor made for huge temperature swings. However, when we made the change in our TT, without changing the location, the digital was an improvement over the analog, in many ways.
    We like the simple Lux digital, with a momentary back light, that we've used in both campers. The first one we put in the TT didn't have the back light, as we changed to the Lux after a year of needing the flashlight to see the settings after dark. We always have extra batteries along, but the ones in our thermostats have lasted a season or so.

7. lquinn1

lquinn1 Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Champaign, IL

I used this same one and I added some parts so I didn't need to keep replacing batteries. I added two dummy batteries I got from amazon and a 12v to 3v dc convertor. I wired that to an aux circuit I had near by. So far so good. It made a huge difference over the old mechanical tstat.

8. lquinn1

lquinn1 Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Champaign, IL
    Popiworks likes this.
  9. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Jul 22, 2014
    Very nice. Thanks for the tutorial.

lquinn1 likes this.
  10. TGH

TGH New Member

Mar 27, 2016
  11. lquinn1

lquinn1 Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Champaign, IL
    Should just hook to R and W. leave the common empty. I should mention that polarity does matter. if you hook it up and when you turn on heat the display blinks, flickers, or stops then you may have polarity wrong so switch the wires. you can also use a multimeter to figure it out.

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I bought my digital from Wally World see below for info, only needed to hook up 2 wires for the heat, the thermostat uses 2 AAA battery for power instructions are included, it took about 20 minutes to change it over., I do not get the hunting that I got with the analog model.
    Thermostat
    Honeywell Digital
    uses 2 AAA batteries
    $17.00 (Wal Mart)

Good Luck and Happy Camping

13. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    We replaced our old analog thermostat with a new digital one and included about 6 feet of wire and a connector. When we set up the PUP, we connect the thermostat wires and at night set the thermostat on the table which gives us a more even temperature rather than having the thermostat close to the floor.

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    If the thermostat triggers the furnace fan, the issue of the furnace not firing may have nothing to do with the thermostat. We had that issue last year, it turned out to be the sail switch. (We had to order it, the knowledgeable parts guy at our dealer suggested ordering that first, instead of both it and the limiter switch, as I'd planned. His experience was that is is usually the sail switch causing the problem
    Like Boatnman, we put the new 'stat in the pup on a long wire (DH made it plug in), which not only reduced the huge temperature swing, it was much easier for me to read and reach.

15. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    I replaced mine with a Honeywell digital one, its also capable to control air conditioner. But it was close to $10 more for one that was heat only. Its really easy to hook up, only 2 wires.

Attached Files:

16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    you should be able to just jumper the two wire to test your furnace.

We got a honeywell digital stat with heat only. No AC switch or fan switch. Just an on/off switch. I think it was $29. It been working well.

17. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I ended up getting the PRO1 IAQ T701 https://www.pro1iaq.com/non-programmable/t701. On the back of my thermostat is 2 wires: red and black.

thermostat.jpg

2 questions:

- Does anyone know where the black and where the red cable would be plugged to on the back of my new thermostat?

EDIT: I found this on the site: "The hot wire (probably red) goes to the 'R' terminal.

The other wire goes to the 'W' terminal." That sounds correct.

- How the heck do I remove the current one from the plastic tray? I want to retain that in good condition.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018