Replacing thermostat

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by SacramentoAliner, Nov 8, 2018 at 11:36 PM.

1. SacramentoAliner

SacramentoAliner New Member

Thursday
    Hi everyone! I just bought an Aliner LXE and plan to primarily use the seating area in the bed configuration, but this puts the thermostat under the bed and inaccessible. Has anyone found a solution to this? I was thinking maybe a remote control thermostat? Or moving the thermostat? Anyone done this and have tips? I primarily want the thermostat for the heater...I think we're actually going to remove the AC as we're unlikely to use this in a location that we can plug in.

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    You can add a length of wire to the t-stat and mount it anywhere you want. That saves the expense of a remote t-stat. If you have a 4-wire stat, but you don't plan to use the A/C you only need to run a two-wire pair to the heat side of the t-stat.

SacramentoAliner likes this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We changed out to digital, heat only, thermostats in both our popup and TT. The original one in the popup was 4" above the floor, under the table, which led to huge temperature swings. We put in a 90* plug and a long wire, so we could use the thermostat on the counter. We only plugged it in when we were going to use the furnace.
    I can't find the photo of the thermostat hung on this metal shelving unit. We mounted the thermostat on a small piece of wood, and put tiny cup hooks on the top so it would hang from the shelf.
    The Lux, heat only, with a momentary back light is the thermostat we've preferred. The first one we put in the TT didn't have the light (we forgot to check when we bought it) and it was a pain to see in the location in the TT. After a while of grabbing a flashloght to set the temp, we changed that to the Lux.

Attached Files:

SacramentoAliner likes this.
  4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    I assume you have the Cool Cat (AC and heat) unit, which I am not familiar with. Our Cool Cube (AC only) thermostat is at the unit and senses the return air temperature in the storage area. The control, by the door, displays this temperature. It is a terrible setup, since the Scout return air and discharge ducts, are under the bed. Is this the way the LXE unit works?

5. SacramentoAliner

Thursday
    Thanks! I'll try to find that thermostat!

6. SacramentoAliner

Thursday
    No - we have a furnace for a heater and a window AC unit with a thermostat on the floor...which is completely buried once we set the bed up

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Typical mindless design. The people "designing" campers must not camp in them.