Resale value?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by BedHead, Mar 4, 2019.

1. BedHead

BedHead Member

We haven’t used the sink inside our pup since we bought it in 2008. Or the hot water heater. Or the water tank. We’ve never winterized any of the plumbing for winter storage. (we are in Canada) It’s a 2008 Fleetwood Cheyenne. I would like to take the sink out to make counter space, and just get rid of the hot water heater and tank and all associated plumbing. Hubby thinks this will reduce resale value. I say who cares if it does, we aren’t planning on selling it and it’s probably full of leaks by now anyway. Opinions?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

With a pup of that age, it's probably not going to effect the resale value by much, especially if you don't know if the water system was taken care of. Since you have a hot water tank, you will have to cap the connection to the LP properly.
    We removed the sinks in both of our popups. The first popup was a bare bones 1984 one we bought it in the early 00s and renovated it in 2010 No hot water tank, the water tank was a 5 gallon jug under the galley - and the galley had to be flipped over to get to it. We tossed the plumbing and water tank (it was all in bad shape), kept the sink (gave it to the new owners eventually), and made a new galley top. Our 2010 Coleman Cobalt was also pretty bare bones, we removed the sink, and kept it and the drain plumbing, we again, we gave to the new owners. Since it was a new pup, we only covered the hole from the sink, to give us more counter space. After 3 seasons of use, I don't think having removed the sink made any difference in the selling price of the Cobalt, though the new owner was fine with being given the sink, water jug (again it had an "above floor water tank" i.e. 5 gallon jug)
    I don't know that you will gain much usable space by pulling the hot water tank or fresh water tank (from the brochure, it looks like it's an under floor one), so leaving those in place is an option. Removing the sink and inside plumbing should free up storage space and give you more counter space.
    If you haven't yet found it, this site not only sell parts for Coleman campers, but has owners manuals, parts lists, and specs/brochures posted, which can be helpful: https://colemanpopupparts.com/

BedHead likes this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Any mods you make that personalizes your pup to how you like things will most likely reduce the resale value. The same is true with anything you change from original - cars, boats, etc. Personalizing is just that, it works for you but may not work for someone else.

Does that mean you shouldn't mod it out? No. That is half of the fun of owning a toy.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Depends on your philosophy of owning things like campers and vehicles. We buy them to use (not abuse), and assume we'll keep them for the long term. We do mods that make them work best for us. For others, they may consider any mod we do an improvement or not, just as we find some mods would not be to our liking. We also keep up with maintenance, because it's in our best interest to do so.

BedHead likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I say take the sink out like you planned and cap off the plumbing that goes inside, but leave the rest. That way if you do choose to sell it it won't be a huge problem for the new owners. Replacing the sink is a small cost for them and less hastle
    Than replacing the whole shooting match. Unless your water tank is a jug inside the camper taking the whole thing out is not going to save you much room or weight.

nineoaks2004, BedHead and kitphantom like this.
  6. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

"Probably" full of leaks? - wouldn't you want to know? :shocked:

We're buying an '05 Resolute (Cheyenne in other model years) and I sure wouldn't be interested in one that originally had a sink, water heater, fresh water tank, pump, dual mixer faucet, etc but which had been removed. :sad: Yes, you could remove the water heater and gain a bit of space in the front storage trunk but there sure wouldn't be anything to gain by removing the underfloor FW holding tank and associated plumbing. And regardless you should be winterizing the trailer if there's ever been any water in any parts of the water system.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    BedHead likes this.
  7. BedHead

BedHead Member

I guess the only advantage to removing the hot water heater would be more storage space in the front storage unit - I believe that's where it is. The water tank itself, ya it makes sense to just leave it. I highly doubt it's usable though - it's plastic and has gone through 11 winters, freezing and thawing, and god only knows what's ended up inside it over the years. If I was buying it I would replace the water tank rather than use one in that shape. Probably the same goes for the hot water heater - that was kind of my thinking for removing them - anyone buying it would probably never use it, and them being gone would make it easier for new owners to put a new on in if they wanted to.

I totally agree about making it our own too - I've wanted to do things for years that hubby says we shouldn't in case we ever sell it. He is finally coming around though as I think he realizes that I, at least, intend to keep it for a long time. By the time we are thinking of replacing it, it won't be worth much and would probably just end up being given to one of our kids.

8. BedHead

BedHead Member

That's the problem - we've never cared. I've always figured we'd never be using them so who cares, why spend time doing something on the off chance we sell it some day. I would rather just make it our own and not worry about reselling it ever. But hubby thinks we should be thinking of reselling, although apparently not enough to have done the maintenance over the years :tongue:

9. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

We don't use the sink in ours. The previous owners had a cutting board made to fit the sink. I use the sink as a medicine cabinet and with the cutting board I have extra counter space.

I would not buy a trailer with it all ripped out.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Why not just remove the hot water heater, and sink, dont cut out the lines. Pull them through the bottom of the camper and secure them to the frame. ( others can be coiled in the camper itself. )Now store the sink and hot water heater. Id needed in the future, now you have them ,and didnt rip out a bunch of stuff.

BedHead likes this.
  11. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Resale value? I worry about the cost the landfill is going to charge me to eventually leave my pup there.

kcsa75 likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

Lol, i brought my pup to an old school mechanic( they also had a junk yard) for bearing repacking and break adjustment. I didn't have time to do it. He said get that out of here, we dont take pop ups. Thinking it was junk. Oops.

13. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

We removed our sink, since it was, in a word, gross. The pump faucet was broken and I had no intention of using it. We use our pup more like a hotel room because we wanted a nice place to sleep. We are not boondockers. We enjoy a campground that offers power (though our lights are battery operated), bathhouses and are near whatever attraction we are visiting. Camping is a lot cheaper than a hotel room and we needed it to work for us. I have to admit resale never entered my mind, since our plan was to keep it for a considerable amount of time (we have had it for almost 10 yrs. now.) Good luck with whatever you decide and happy camping!

BedHead likes this.
  14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

If the sink isn't in bad shape, I would simply do as Redbird234 does. Make a cover for it and use the sink for additional storage. Leave the rest unless the space is really needed. Then ignore it like you do now.

You'll have less work to make it work better for you (simply adding the sink cover) and you don't have to deal with what you pull out or listen to DH whine that you're hurting resale.

BedHead likes this.
  15. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

OK, this is a crazy idea, but… when it thaws up north, why not put some water in the system and see what happens? At least you'll know. You'll probably have to run some bleach (I think the ratio is a cup of bleach for 10 gal. water) through the system to get any mildew.

The Starflyer's PO said he never used the water tank. Then when I tried the hand pump, water came out. There was about 3 gallons of water in the tank. [?:~{] Lord only knows how long it was in there.

16. Sjm9911

Yes , and let the bleach sit there for like 3 hours. Then bleed it out.

17. arge

arge Member

I had once a VW Westfalia camper. I stripped it down to the metal, replaced rusty panels, new gaskets/rubber etc new paint job, new bumpers etc. I replaced a lots of things, including interior trims etc.
    It was a black hole. o lots of $$$.

Anyway, doing all these, I decided:
    - I will remove the fridge. Very small, totally inefficient etc. In that space I put two 5gal (?) canisters, one for fresh water, a second for grey water, to be self contained.
    - I removed the original fresh water tank (didn't have one for grey w, it was direct sewer underneath of the car). This tank was relatively big, maybe 12 gal?. I used the "liberated" space to enlarge an existing storage cabinet.
    - propane. these campers have a fixed exterior propane tank, underneath of the middle door in the right side, and are prone to spectacular fire balls in case of the accidents. Basically, any T collusion on the right side would be directly into the propane tank. Maybe is an excess of caution, but many owners removed the tanks for this reason. Anyway, it was an old tank, it supposed to be replaced. I decided to run 1lb or 5lb bottles from inside. So, I changed the hoses, adapters etc.

I don't remember all the changes that I have done. Bottom line, I made changes that I considered reasonable, in the good direction, for better efficiency, comfort etc

Did these changes affected the sale value? Not sure, as this kind of camper is a different animal, but the new owner, asked me for everything that I may still have, after the sale was done. He was happy to take a 30 years old rusty propane tank that was sitting in my backyard for a couple of years. If I still had that fridge, which is worth 20.00 (20.00 to pay for disposal, not to cash in :p), he was ready to take it. but it was gone by then. He took also the 30 years old water tank.... imagine the condition of that one... it was clean, but... would you drink, cook or wash your hands with water from such tank?

I guess... any drastic changes can lead to a decrease of resale value in the eyes of many ppl. Especially if they are new to the game.
    They want a camper, a popup, a recreational vehicle. name it. In their eyes this can't be with out a fridge, stove, sink, bed. These is what defines a recreational vehicle for them. If you change with something else or remove it, better to be able to make your point why and hope they will agree with you. Otherwise, it is just a missing part and that missing part cost money to put it back.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 4:05 PM
    BedHead likes this.