Rhino Linings introduces long-term RV roof repair product

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Storm Trooper, Jun 1, 2012.

1. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Tagged for further review

2. Mike and Nancy

Mike and Nancy New Member

Mar 26, 2015
    I would like to do this as preventative maint. We don't have any problem but is 30 yrs old. Rhino or Grizley? any drawbacks?

3. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Aug 22, 2014
    I agree. I have a new pop and would like to make sure the roof does not leak. All it takes is a few cracks to form on the roof that you do not see and water will seep into the luan and rot it out. There is also the mold problem that can break down the Styrofoam. Water is bad for a pop up.

Anyone know if it comes in a tan color? Rockwood uses tan now for the color of its pop ups.

Vin.

4. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Is this even a consumer applied product?

5. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

May 12, 2014
    It doesn't look like it, looks like you have to find an "applicator" near you.

6. Mike and Nancy

Mike and Nancy New Member

Mar 26, 2015
    I have talked to Grizly Grip in Orlando. It is a do it yourself product. Aprox 120.00 for a gal. Comes with 2 or 4 rollers. Can be rolled on or if you have spray gun and compressor can be sprayed on also I hear good things about a caulk at Home Depot called 5200.

7. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    tagged for further interest

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

different products... but which one is the BEST?

9. ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike New Member

May 7, 2015
    My roof was rhinolined by previous owner! Been great so far!!
    2001 Coleman Niagara Elite. ABS was all pulled off before Lining was added to roof and front storage bin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. brittanytomlin

brittanytomlin New Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Can I do this on the foam that is underneath the ABS covering?? I already pulled it off.

11. gucho

gucho New Member

Jul 8, 2015
    if I was to apply this to a ABS roof that look to be in pristine condition it should stop all potential problems with the ABS right?

12. sirbryson1

sirbryson1 New Member

Jun 23, 2014
    We just bought a 1997 Westlake, the previous owner had the roof treated with Phoenix Coating, hubby likes it. But, will be painting it to a brighter white. The color is just a little off, like yellow teeth next to white ones, lol. Just bugging the heck outta him. I say, at least it won't leak!

13. Rhconcepts

Rhconcepts Active Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Blaine MN
  14. tcaples

tcaples On the Road Again ...

Jun 29, 2015
    We love our 1998 Coleman Sea Pine. That's why we are taking the plunge with Rhino liner professionally done. Well, that and we are so UNhandy. I'm way better with a sewing machine. DH is handy with the Yellow Pages.

In Northern CA there is a Rhino spray liner place which specifically does RV tops and RV body repair. They have not taken off an ABS roof before only sprayed not so bad ABS tops, so I told them to check with corporate first, and call us with any questions. I'm very nervous. Hopefully Bay Area Auto Body will come through. The RV version called Eco Liner is silver because it has aluminum flecks. The truck bed version is black and is less expensive. We wanted white, and will paint it if we don't like silver.

Except for the roof the pup is nearly perfect inside and out, after camping for years with 5 kids, and being the second owners. No stains or holes inside, only discolored linoleum and a dent in the body!).

We want many more years with this pup so even though it is pricey, it is much less aggravation and cheaper than messing it up ourselves and then buying a new roof anyway. It seems resale values are still pretty good so we hope to get our money's worth out of it either way.

The roof sags in the middle, has delaminated nearly everywhere, and has cracked on all sides but not the saggy top area. Under the awning are 100s of cracks. SO the adventure started on Friday. They are back logged and it will take 2 weeks instead of 3 days.

We will let you know how it goes. One entry on the portal says Rhino makes the roof too heavy, but we are removing the ABS so hopefully that won't be an issue. We might have to add a brace on the inside? We are not too concerned about a sag so long as it is waterproof. No AC on the roof but do have a luggage rack.

15. edh

edh Active Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Good luck, i hope it goes well. Please keep us updated, and if you can include before and after pictures that would be great..

16. tcaples

tcaples On the Road Again ...

Jun 29, 2015
    We took the Rhino plunge!!

We went to Bay Area Body Shop in northern CA. It took a couple of weeks because it was on a long list. It only took a day to remove the badly cracked and delaminated ABS, all the clamps, awning cover, etc. it turns out we were the first pop up camper they have done. They do a lot of big boys which have aluminum roofs. We all were nervous whether the foam core would stand up to the heated spray, but no problems.

The top has a pebbly texture and it looks sharp in silver. It is so strong A person can stand on it. Yet Mike didn't notice a difference in weight when cranking it up.

It was expensive! $2,500, and no break for being the guinea pig. But now we want to keep it for many more years instead of trading up.

The technician said DIY finishes will disintegrate after a few years because it is a different formula, and not heat treated. I don't know about the difference in lifetimes.

If you want to keep the ABS on you might have weight or seal issues. BTW we bought a new seal which is a hollow tube with a track on top. The old seal was a 1-2" rubber strip below the track. The new seal does not seal well. There is too much space between the top and body the hollow tube squishes too much. I'm not sure what we will do in the rain if it does not settle right.

We are very happy with the Rhino top. We are on our way to Napa to try her out, along with the a few wineries. Tomorrow, we are visiting Castella do Amoroso, an Italian castle imported brick by brick by Sattui family winery. Can't wait!

I'll try to post pictures

17. DustyMojave

DustyMojave New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Interesting topic. I'm wondering what results campers have had with Rhino or other brand roofing after some time has passed.

18. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Never believe a technician who is selling a product. [:D]

Sounds rather expensive. Line-X quoted me a price of $1000.00 and that was for white. Rhino in the area quoted me $900.00 but only in black (white will turn yellow in a few years so they stopped doing it). Pricing for regulator truck lining.