Rm2193 3 way fridge won't cool on propane

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by barryneary, Jul 30, 2017.

1. barryneary

barryneary New Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Hi guys,
    This is my first post here so here goes. I have a Dometic RM 2193 3 way fridge in our 2004 Palomino pony pop up. The trouble it's even though it cools perfectly on AC and DC it won't cool at all on propane. The flame ignites and burns very small, (probably the size of the top of a leadin a pencil) but very blue. The flu heats up but the fridge won't cool. I've removed the baffle and clean the flue till it shines, but still no cooling on propane. Next step is to remove and clean the burner itself. If this doesn't work do you have any other suggestions of why it might not be working? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Sounds like low gas pressure.....My TT did not cool well on gas when I got it. Fortunately, it has a gauge at the fridge. Adjusting the regulator was simple. I feel certain you won't have a gauge. You can find instructions on the internet how to make a manometer to do the job

barryneary likes this.
  3. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    Welcome fellow new member!

Try the burner cleaning first. You should have a more substantial flame than that. There are a few good videos on YouTube for doing the burner cleaning. I just cleaned mine, same model, today based on the recommendations I read here after trying the propane operation side and getting poor performance.

barryneary likes this.
  4. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Utah
    I have a Dometic 3-way in my PUP as well and had the same problem the first time I tried to use it. It worked fine on electricity (both AC and DC) but wouldn't work on gas. When I got home, I pulled out a big can of compressed air, blasted it EVERYWHERE the gas goes, brushed everything out with a small clean hand broom, blasted it all with air again, and now it works great. There was plenty of dust in there, but I suspect the main issue with mine was the spider who had made a nest inside the pilot light area (webs blocking the gas lines) and who very grudgingly came out once I had torn up his/her house with the tornado wind gusts.. ;)

Also, if your PUP has an outdoor gas grill that sets up next to the fridge, try running that stove for a few minutes before you light the fridge. If not, do it with the inside stove. That will pull the gas through the lines to get it closer to the fridge so there's actually enough gas in the line there to properly light the fridge pilot light and burner.

barryneary likes this.
  5. Spridle

Spridle Member

Jun 6, 2011
    It's become a yearly thing for me to pull the burner tube out, blow it out and use a utility knife blade to slide the burner slots clean. I really should just replace the burner, but it's a five minute thing once a year at this point. Nice and bright flame now.

barryneary likes this.
  6. barryneary

barryneary New Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Thanks for the kind welcome, and the suggestions guys!!
    Just got finished removing and cleaning the burner and the base of the flu and it seems like it is working now. It's dropped 14 deg in an hour and a half, and is sitting at 3 deg now. Awesome!!!!
    It just needed a little tlc!
    Thanks again for the help!!!!

7. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    Good thing that we understand that's in Celsius.. ;)
    Glad that you got it working better!!