Rockwood 2280BH and tongue weight

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Grumman41, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Grumman41

Grumman41 New Member

Apr 17, 2017
    I would like to carry a Honda CT110 (195lbs) on the front of my 2280BH (new owner) but concerned about tongue weight on my2004 4runner (500lbs max).

Maybe temporary move battery for better CG? anyone worked thru this? Don't really want to move bike to the back as the tongue weight would be less than 10%?! May have to bring a lighter bike but no license for them.

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Since your 2280BH is the same as my Flagstaff 228BH, you might be cutting it close to the max hitch weight. My tongue weight on my 228BH, as measured with a Sureline tongue weight scale, at the same angle as attached to the hitch ball, is between 515-530 lbs (varies a bit with gear on the deck). (Dry weight of trailer is 2064; GVWR us 3100...per factory specs.)

But not all the weight mounted on the deck or tongue is applied totally to the tongue weight; some will be applied to the axles.

Only way to be sure is to go through a truck scale and weigh, use a dedicated tongue weight scale or use a bathroom scale and some pipes and a 2x4....https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]