Roof help!!

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by RandiFerina, Sep 4, 2017.

1. RandiFerina

RandiFerina New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    So we've just purchased a 1994 rockwood pop up camper.. The inside of the camper is in a GREAT condition.. Most of it has been updated and restored.. However the outside is in rough condition.. Im not sure what happened to it or what the previous owners who "repaired" the damage were thinking... But it's pretty rough lol.. It has a lot of tiny holes and damage and cracks.. The vinyl trim is gone leaving the screws exposed.. And all of this has been "sealed" with what looks like some sort of clear caulk or rtv sealant... It's a terrible job and hardly seems like it would be effective in preventing leaks.. We have the camper in our garage until we are certain there will be no water damage... My question is.. What would be the best route to go in repairing this damage or replacing this roof?.. We have never had to restore or replace the roof of a pop up before and most of my experience/skills in restoration deal more with interior.. Just wanting to get a general idea of what it's going to take to get this bad repair, repaired..

Attached Files:

2. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    The vinyl screw cover material is available at most RV supply stores and probably Amazon. I would look into cleaning, prepping and painting the roof with one of the popular coatings (Grizzly Grip) to deal with the pinholes. BUT you need to find out what kid of "clear" sealant the P.O. used on the roof first. I would take some paint (any paint) and test it on the clear stuff on a small area to see if it sticks. If it doesn't stick it is silicone and it will all need to be removed BEFORE coating the roof. If it does stick, I would still remove as much as I could as part of the prep.

Adam

3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  4. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    Most looks easily repairable as per above but it's the last pic that might lead to more work . Press on that area , is it soft , spongy , does it feel crumbly ? If so your end board is rotten and would need to be replaced . Use the search button above to find "end board replacement" it's not too tough of a job if you're a little handy .

JPBar likes this.
  5. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit New Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    We have a 95 rockwood that had similar issues when we got it. Definitely try to remove the existing sealer... Whatever it is. We used acetone, which works well for silicone residue. Rather than spending time trying to patch each and every small hole and seam, we chose to use eternabond tape. Bought a 4in x 50ft roll on amazon. Clean the seams well and slap it on.... It's nearly impossible to remove cleanly and is a perfect solution. It's a roof... Doesn't have to be pretty, just functional!

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Keep it in the garage and use a tarp when camping.