Roof Leak Repair Using Durabak (Bedliner), '04 Fleetwood Tacoma

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by gir226, Jun 18, 2012.

1. gir226

gir226 New Member

May 27, 2011
    After having minor roof leak issues and attempts at stripping and recaulking the roof seams for the past couple years I decided to use Durabak (a bedliner type product from the same company that makes Herculiner). It comes in many different colors (smooth and textured). I decided on the white textured Durabak-18 which has UV protection. I had spent some time online reading reviews as well as posts here on the portal including posts from "NE_FL_Campers"....thanks Phil! I also emailed and spoke w/ reps from Durabak (Cote-L Industries) who were helpful.
    The prep work is key. I stripped the old caulking, lightly sanded and wire brushed the entire roof, removed the old vinyl strip from the center roof seam, caulked under each screw down the center seam, installed a new vinyl strip, recaulked most of the seams with a urethane based elastomeric caulk called Manus-Bond 75-AM from a local RV dealership. I then cleaned the roof and wiped the entire surface down with Xylene right before applying the Durabak with the rollers that they provide with the order (XYLENE is key for proper adhesion of this product). My '04 Fleetwood Tacoma has a '12 box so I ordered 2 gallons (they shipped 8 one quart cans - nice b/c I have 1 unopened quart left for any future touch ups). I decided to cover the entire roof..endcaps and all. I rolled on a thin first coat, waited an hour then applied a thicker second coat, and then a 3rd coat on the top portion of the roof. So far I am happy with the results (I like the texture but some may choose the smooth option). I just got back from a weeklong camping trip at Pawtuckaway State Park in NH. Had one night of heavy rain and stayed dry...although a squirl crawled up my wastewater tank, went thru the screen and stole a package of hamburg buns while we were out. Now I have a small hole in the screen to repair and will be leaving the food in the van from now on [;)]. Here are some pics:

[PUC] '04 Fleetwood Tacoma

2. gir226

gir226 New Member

May 27, 2011
  3. gir226

gir226 New Member

May 27, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

Apr 5, 2008
    Mt. Washington, NH
    looks good ! reminds me of kool seal...

5. rambus

rambus Member

May 20, 2011
    looks good! I wonder if it would stick to an ABS roof

6. Troutfishing

Troutfishing New Member

Aug 11, 2008
    looks like a new one....good job

7. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

Apr 28, 2012
    It is just another trade name for Aliphatic Polyurethane coating. No difference from Grizzly Grip.

Yes, it sticks to everything including metal, rubber, plastic, and wood. The coating is 100% UV resistance, reflect sunlight, and cool like cool-deck. It remains somewhat resilient which made it resistant to cracking and delamination. This coating is also used on balcony deck.

You won't have any leak for sure in next few years.
    However, if the original cracks were a result of structure issue, the crack will eventually penetrate through the coating unless you cover the cracks with fiberglass cloth.

8. rambus

rambus Member

May 20, 2011
    Thanks for the info. It looks like a good end of the year project. I was worrying about going through another winter without fixing the cracks!

9. EasyVill

EasyVill New Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Thanks for this info! Once we get our roof repaired and sealed, we are coating it with the Durabek. Just ordered it myself.

My only concern its our air conditioner, whether to remove completely and seal then put back on or seal around it.
    Already removed the horrendous roof top bike rack, that WILL not be going back on lol.

Thanks for your informative thread!

10. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Oct 28, 2008
    Dover,FL
    Looks good! And very durable. We have used this stuff in many of our trucks. I have only used this stuff on the pup fold down door so its not so slick when you feet are wet. It works great.

Sharon

11. Glenn B.

Glenn B. New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Could anyone describe what the normal seam maintenance is ??...I have a 2004 Tacoma as well and I have replaced one bunk end panel, and it looks as if i have I now have trouble with one one of the side panels..the vinyl coating is loose on the side with the sink and stove..

Thanks...Glenn B.

12. dumouc56

dumouc56 Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    How much was the roof coating?

13. gir226

gir226 New Member

May 27, 2011
    I had the front bunk end panel replaced as well. The seams on this camper were driving me crazy...there was always a little water in a couple spots ABOVE the roof gasket and could never figure out where it was getting in...it's been dry since applying the durabak. Time will tell, hopefuly 3 years down the road I'll still be happy w/ the product.

THE COST (for 2 gallons):

(Whi-TU) White (Textured - UV) $119.95 X 1 = $119.95
    (Whi-TU) White (Textured - UV) $119.95 X 1 = $119.95
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product Total $239.90
    Shipping (Ground) $28.50
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Grand Total $268.40

14. dumouc56

dumouc56 Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Thank you! I'm in the early stages of my roof rebuild and if the money is there want to use this product.

15. hakrjak

hakrjak New Member

May 20, 2010
    I am thinking of going with the same color and brand myself. Can you tell me if the white has yellowed at all, or changed colors once you put it on?

16. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

May 29, 2012
    I think it looks great.. I saw what looked to be this or a similar product on the roofs of some new units at an RV dealer in Nova Scotia last fall.. I think they were Palominos but not positive.. It was a pale grey color to match the new unit.. looked really nice..

G

17. Bebe123

Bebe123 New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Florida
    This looks amazing Great job! Thinking of doing the same thing...Interested in knowing if it held up and for how long....