Roof Rack Capacity, 2000 Starcraft Meteorite or Meteor

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by KZVO, Apr 19, 2017.

1. KZVO

KZVO New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Hi, I see a SportRack roof rack on the ETrailer website, with a capacity of 200lbs. My question; are all pop ups capable of supporting that kind of weight on a properly installed roof rack? Not that I really know what properly installed really means. For this application, roof rack supports mounted near outside edges of trailer top, with hardware provided.

2. friartuck

friartuck Active Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    Can't help with your Starcraft, but Coleman/Fleetwood sez: the roof can support up to 300 lbs closed and 150 lbs open. This includes the AC unit so the weight of the AC unit is part of the total. (I think my AC comes in around 100lbs. So my roof capacity would be 200 closed and 50 open)

3. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    And includes your awning so subtract another 30-40 lbs.

4. friartuck

friartuck Active Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    Good point mstrbill!

5. etrailerJohn

etrailerJohn Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Wentzville, MO
    I spoke with my contact at Starcraft RV, who told me that 150 lbs would be the maximum amount of weight they'd recommend carrying on the roof of your Starcraft Pop-Up. Therefore, even though the rack you're interested in has a 200 lb weight capacity, you'd want to observe the capacity of the lowest rated component, which would be the 150 lb capacity of the roof.

The Combined weight of two of the SportRack Upshift Deluxe bike carriers and the roof rack itself would come in under 50 lbs.

If you click the link below, you can see additional information that you might find helpful.

https://www.etrailer.com/expert-48.html

6. friartuck

friartuck Active Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    Thanks for the update etrailerJohn. Good information there.

7. KZVO

KZVO New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Thanks, etrailer John. 2 50lb kayaks and my awing, should be below max.

8. oppencd

oppencd New Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I've had nothing bud bad experiences with Starcraft roofs and mounts on them. My first Starcraft '96 was bought with a known roof issues that came from a bad air-conditioner mounting by a PO. It was so bad that I rebuilt the whole box. My current '07 had dealer mounted sport rack that I ended up removing and am currently dealing with water issues on. :(