Roof rebuild

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Samuel T, Feb 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Samuel T

Samuel T Member

Feb 25, 2018
    This last summer I found a great deal on a PUP. It needed a roof overhaul. There is tons of help on you tube. Originally was going to reuse the aluminum jacket. I built the new roof then tried removing the aluminum from old roof. That was not a success. One problem area I found was the rounded corner. It’s just foam from the factory and on you tube there was a video of a gentleman who used a rounded post. Was about to steal this idea but had a thought. Here was my idea. Tell me what you think. 4” Black IBS plastic pipe. Cut down with jigsaw.

Attached Files:

bols2Dawall, jnc and Raycfe like this.
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

3. omahadlr

omahadlr Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Fairview Heights, IL.
    Thx for the idea. I'm going thru a rebuild too. Did you take the whole roof off

4. Samuel T

Samuel T Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I rebuilt to the exact dimensions on the ground while old roof was still on. The only thing I changed was the overall height in the center. I couldn’t find a piece of wood the right demensions. And don’t know enough about joining wood. Went with a 16’ x 10”x 3/4”pine I think. I cut the bottom edge down to 1/2” to fit the drip rail from old roof. Looked for one that wasn’t all knotty. Could have bought better would for about 10x the price though. DA17180F-9B38-4EB6-BCCE-F4C12D759888.jpeg D5BD510E-7F43-4D91-866D-03B98B247B2E.jpeg 670C5199-B509-4EBF-8C63-6489D735E74B.jpeg C9697D6D-E9DD-4004-85B8-5D0230368ADA.jpeg

lakkdainen and omahadlr like this.
  5. omahadlr

omahadlr Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Fairview Heights, IL.

6. omahadlr

omahadlr Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Fairview Heights, IL.
    I'm curious as to what you're going to use for the outer skin.

7. Samuel T

Samuel T Member

Feb 25, 2018
    A49236C6-4694-4F6F-83B0-3D03A4E77C80.jpeg CE438C6D-126C-4B67-89B1-F83BBB71A767.png 8EC67448-156E-49FA-910C-AD2E2E28B1E8.png
    So I looked for a while. I wanted to use the EPDM material but couldn’t find it locally. I chose to try this product off amazon. I can’t compare because I’ve never used the other stuff but I like it. Was easy to install. It can puncture but I have enough left over to patch if needed. Ole ty of adhesive. I have half the bucket left over I’d guess. It’s already finished I’ll put up some pictures. For the price it was great and just don’t put anything sharp up there. Haha. No seams except the corners so no water inside. I’m finishing up the roof this week. Went through a move so the project got pushed back.

8. omahadlr

omahadlr Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Fairview Heights, IL.
    I've been looking at Liquid Roof that you can brush or roll on. Or TPO rubber roof. Not there yet still in rebuilding stage.

9. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

May 18, 2009
    Hutto, Texas
    I am currently working on a 2003 Coleman Yuma. I'm taking a similar approach, but I am going to try a luan sandwich with foam insulation in the center with similar cross bracing. The PO had made some pretty good progress so he made this resto a lot easier for me. The lower sections are aluminum extrusion. There is a steel "girder" that I am going to use to brace for the AC location. I drew up a bow with a total two inch rise and printed it out 1:1 scale on 8.5 X 11 paper, taped it together and made a template to cut the bow in. Then I clamped them together and belt sanded them in to match. I'm going to rout out the inner perimeter to accept the luan on top. The inside luan will be held in place by the existing metal trim that skirts the inside. I'm planning to glue the insulation to both the inner and outer luan sections. I am looking at several options for coatings to seal the roof once it is smoothed in. I plan on using the ABS corners which are in very good shape. The camper other than the roof is in really superb condition, which surprised me considering the awful roof condition. But I think it was a faulty AC roof seal which did the roof top in. Destroyed the roof but left the rest in really good shape. Just waiting for some better weather to proceed. Still have my awesome Apache to camp in. (Sweetwater Rattlesnake Festival is week after next). I was planning on flipping the Yuma, but this thing is very light, tows very good, has working trailer brakes, and is in such good shape, I think I will keep it to do a Colorado stint. Light weight will be good on gas, brakes will be good for mountainous driving, and I can pick a time when AC isn't an issue.

BOW.jpg

FRAME.jpg

Phoodieman

10. omahadlr

omahadlr Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Fairview Heights, IL.
    Curious as to what kind of glue to use to secure the insulation.

11. Samuel T

Samuel T Member

Feb 25, 2018

12. Samuel T

Samuel T Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Looking good!

13. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

May 18, 2009
    Hutto, Texas
    That is a good question. Some adhesives could melt the foam on the insulation. On the foil side I'm not concerned as I think I can get good adhesion with the contact bond type of glue. Spray both sides dry to tacky and then mate. I had better be right on target with the placement. (It will be covered though). On the foam side I am concerned that while getting a bond on the surface it might pull off over time. I am going to have two ribs off the center at 7 1/8 with a 14 1/4 inch box built in the center to allow for an AC installation for me or anyone that might want to install one in the future. (The camper had AC and all the infrastructure is still in place). That will leave me with four sections aprox. 23.5 inches between the remaining ribs. I could possibly get away with no glue on the inner side (Foam side), just for that fact. What I have to consider is that the original roof was only about two inches thick max. (May be less). So I can't get too thick with the support ribs. I should have about 3/8 worth of luan, so if I don't want to exceed two inches that would only leave me a rib about 1 5/8. (Realistically 1 1/2). So is a plywood rib 1 1/2 thick going to give sufficient support over a seven foot throw? I think I need the glue to stick over every square inch I can garner on both sides. While a challenge, I enjoy this type of work.

Phoodieman

14. Samuel T

Samuel T Member

Feb 25, 2018
    I used 1 1/2” construction grade insulation backed with foil on both sides. Used liquid nails to adhere it. Worked great. I got to test the strength. I used beadboard a few months back. It let ones great. This last weekend when I popped it up it was all warped. :(
    So I ripped it out this week and am in the middle of installing 1/8” plywood. It’s looking good. The liquid nails held good. Enough to make me curse up a storm. Here is a few pics from this afternoon. It’s looking good so far. 3D0447FA-1192-4718-8617-823C61DDB530.jpeg CDD29EC7-53EC-46A9-A6E1-A7F0BE97CBE2.jpeg F2E2B221-98D0-482E-B9C8-8CA9637F9C32.jpeg 472435F7-2F35-46EE-B0EF-68A631EFC67C.jpeg

jnc likes this.
  15. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

May 18, 2009
    Hutto, Texas
    This is some important input. So I will locate some insulation with foil on both sides and get my rib width figured out and cut them. After looking at the camper I have noticed that the axle is not center to the box. So I think I will set the AC cut out to center of the axle instead of center of the roof to minimize any sway resulting from a significant weight like the AC unit. That will alter my rib set up somewhat, but I don't see a big issue. I put the walls in and did a minimal screw in to see how accurate my component measurements came in. The max I am out is 1/8 inch. I consider that in spec about as close as it's going to get. (This pic isn't the screw in, but it is very close to how it looks. Camera skew has made the top look out of kilter, but it is in very square and true).
    Walls In First.jpg

I used liquid nails on the rebuild I did on my 95 Cobra that I used Luan for in the inside but I had some separation at the joints. I went back with an aluminum L on each joint. I want to plan ahead so I don't have to do that.
    Inside Roof Lay Up Side.JPG

Phoodieman

16. Samuel T

Samuel T Member

Feb 25, 2018
    EF03F183-FDBB-415A-8CFA-231556E40193.jpeg D12AE502-251F-42C6-8F9E-C79255930930.jpeg 5318D1B2-3A4C-445A-9F62-10567AE92B64.jpeg That looks pretty good! This is all new to me. It’s cool that there is a lot of videos on YouTube to help but there was always something or some step left out. I just about have my ceiling inside redone. Did some painting and caulking today. Also. On my PUP you know those nuts that hold the lift arms on? I replaced them but soon after putting them in I had to remove the bolt. I spun it out of the wood. So I welded it to a small plate and screwed it down from the outside. It’s solid now. 6A41B2BD-5B35-4ECD-B094-84F38D6A0B02.jpeg

jnc likes this.
  17. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

May 18, 2009
    Hutto, Texas
    Looks like you're about ready to put the canvas back in! I see tracking mounted up. Get er done... I started considering AC options and I have found some 13.5 units hardly used with all the components for around $350.00 So I might be putting in a cutout for the AC as I'm getting the roof built and assembled. Hope the weather holds so I can get this dog on the road....

Phoodieman

18. Samuel T

Samuel T Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Yeah. It was already in. I took it out to caulk the molding in. Put it back together last night. Wouldn’t you know the caulking turned yellow. :(
    Now I’m headed to the hardware store to figure it out[RTM]. Now I gotta paint over the yellow caulk. Haha. Can never get it right the first time.

19. Rserna

Rserna New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Any flashing on the inside?

20. Samuel T

Samuel T Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Flashing?