Rooftop ac advice needed.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Darkhorse, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Darkhorse

Darkhorse New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I hope this is the right place to ask, obviously Im new. I inherited a 1981 jayco pup and restored it. After a few trips my wife pointed out how hot it gets inside. I have a maxxair rooftop ac I saved from another trailer and was considering installing it on our pup. I have been reading up on others experiences and have tried contacting jayco several times but have not received any responses. Because of the age and hand crank system I am concerned that it might be ill advised to attempt it. No one seems to know what the lift system weight limit is. I am guesstimating the ac is roughly 100 lbs. I don't think it has the ac roof support bars but I did add a set of roof rack bars on the outside that came off another jayco that had been left for dead. They are mounted right along side the vent which I planned on using for the ac. Wiring is not a concern since I am an electrician and I have already restored almost everything including a broken lift cable so I am familiar with how it works. But after all the work I have put into our little pup I would be really dissapointed to wreck it by exceeding its limits. Any help or advice is welcomed and much appreciated. Awesome forum by the way, I have been reading for so long my wife is telling me I am a geek. Haha

2. Douggro

Douggro Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    Your long-term problem is going to be the roof supporting 100 pounds of AC unit. The lift system becomes somewhat secondary. If you get no input here, use your Google-Fu and see if your model had AC as an option. You'll need to add structural support to the roof to hold the AC unit at a minimum. If it's not a dire necessity, I'd skip on the plan..

3. Darkhorse

Darkhorse New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Thank you for your response, how do I find the model type, by vin? Some time ago I tried to retrieve the manual for it from the website and was only able to get the standard manual for that year which was unfortunately not specific nor very useful.

4. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    The A/C roof supports are mounted to the metal (aluminum) frame on the interior of the roof and run perpendicular on either side of the interior vent, essentially acting as trusses. Mine are formed in the profile of the roof and follow the contour of the interior. This leads me to believe that they support the entire weight of the A/C by "saddling" the unit from below.

I would think that aside from interior construction (which would have been a boxed in cut out for the vent) there wouldn't be much difference between an A/C model and one without. If your able to figure out which model you have, search for A/C support brackets and go from there. If not, perhaps you could make them out of a template taken of the roof line. As far as holding the unit or weight, you can always add cut support posts to each corner once the roof is raised which would unburden the posts and cables. Another option is to sell that unit and do a window model lower in the pup body. Either way, you should accommodate DW and extend her enjoyment of the pup which in turn keeps everyone camping and happy.

Good luck.

5. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    Once you have a better idea what's needed you could do a trial run and just sit the A/C on the roof on a piece of plywood to see how the roof performs

6. Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson New Member

Apr 23, 2017
    I had the same questions, and ended up just getting a portable a/c unit. It's not ideal, but I didn't have to deal with cutting the roof or adding support rails.

7. rsizle

rsizle Member

Apr 17, 2014
    I went through the same process with a 96 Coleman Taos, and ended up mounting a window AC in one of the walls. I figured that I could seal it a lot easier, and didn't have to worry about any extra stress on the lift. I was very happy with how it came out.