RV Camping Check List

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by nineoaks2004, Dec 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Found this, you have to subscribe, it has a list that you go thru and check the items you might or /do need, also places to add other items, then submit and print out the list with only the items you checked.

http://www.rvcampingchecklist.com

2. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    This will come in handy. I have been looking for a list, because inevitability I forget something important.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    That is very interesting and can be handy for those that prefer a paper list. I just use an app called keep on my phone (android). I have to make my own checklist but it's always on me and I can easily add or take things off and check things off. As long as it is saved I will always have the list for other trips. I keep things I need to fix on the camper in the same program..

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    I use OpenOffice and just made up a spreadsheet of my own that I can alter from time to time as my needs change. No way I'm subscribing to anything when I can do it myself.

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I too use Google Keep. I just uncheck the items when I get back for the next trip. It also makes it easy to add one-time items specific for a trip like hunting or fishing items. It also does things non-camping, but what fun is that?

Checklists are funny things for me. Coming from an aviation background, we're a checklist kind of group. When I get a new rig, I go checklist crazy. But, in a year or two, I just walk outside, look around and do it. With the PUP, I hardly thought about it. I guess once you have the stuff you need in, and the stuff you don't OUT, it is a lot easier to pack up, hitch up and pull out.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    That is one of the many camping checklist sites I post when folks are asking for packing checklists.. That and a pad of paper and a pencil. Very handy liste for beginners and novice campers and a great refresher for the more seasoned, helps to build your own custom list for your needs, likes and wants. We generally stock most items at the beginning of the season, so all we have to add is stuff like food and clothes, we restock as the things get used.

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    wow if I check all, my Explorer and popup would be in trouble!

Whiteycracker likes this.
  8. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Except for food, clothes & medicine, I keep everything in the unit.

9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I tend to over pack, so that would be my short list.:)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Snow likes this.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Both my clipper and FnR are fully stocked with non-perishable goods. I always have some clothes packed in them and add for specific trips. So, I do a checklist for food and meds right before a trip.

For me, the bigger issue is having a reminder to check each rig before driving off. For that, I originally bought the RVMinders from camping world. After several years, they wore out, so this time I made my own. Bought a pack of "slap bracelets" on Amazon and wrote various info on each:

Hookups
    Jacks and Chocks
    Windows, Doors and Vents
    Propane On
    Compartment Locks
    Steps
    Hitch

and so on.

When I get in to drive away, I remove them from the steering wheel verifying I did each. Works great.

11. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    Don't really do a check list anymore. I keep the PUP stocked with non-perishables during camping season. We have toiletries, bedding, cookware, and eating utensils dedicated to the PUP. There are a couple totes in the garage and the gray water tank stored under the PUP that gets tossed in the back of the truck. Pretty much ready other than perishable food and our clothes. I still get a wow feeling at how much faster we can be on the road as opposed to tent camping.

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have been camping for many years and have always used a check list. When working on RV's I have seen all kinds of mess up's. everything from leaving the steps down, taking off with the stabilizers down, and going under a bank drive thru (that wiped the AC off the roof. To forgetting (this was me) to forgetting to chock the RV before unhooking from the TV. Some people have it all in their head, some of us don't.

13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I think some folks are differentiating between a "supply list" and a "pre-flight checklist". I don't use the former (except for food and meds), but I do use the latter (via my slap bracelets).

14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I have to make a list before every trip. That is partly due to the fact that a lot of my gear does double duty between pup use and monthly boy scout trips with my son's troop. As a result after every trip with the pup there is gear that I have to pull out (cooking stuff, stove, camp kitchen tables and chairs, sometimes additional camp blankets, my 5lb lpg tank, various hoses, headlamps, etc.). Thus when I do want to take the pup out I have to re-evaluate what gear I need and then get it re-packed for the trip. I thought things would get easier once my son earned his Eagle (just got the formal letter this week!) but he went ahead and joined Sea Scouts and Venturers, and plans to stay active with his troop throughout his high school career. Since I can't afford to double up on a lot of this gear I just have to live with the endless pack/repack circle of life!

Every trip I am also either trying out a new piece of gear, experimenting with a different procedure or collection of gear, or pulling stuff out that didn't get used the last couple times, so I am always evaluating my load out. I also way overpack - my goal is to apparently make a pup as well outfitted and comfortable as a TT.:grin:

Pommom70 likes this.
  15. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Everything I need for camping are in the popup... no need for list except for food. Everything I need is not everything I want.

16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Like Sneezer my gear plays double duty. Not as much now, but I still pull my tent out once in awhile and need to bring gear. I keep my Dutch oven home so I can use it at home as well as camp. The biggest reason, because I leave the camper at an off site outdoor storage lot, essentially a big Field, im extremely careful What stays in the camper. After having a huge ant problem with my old camper I'm a bit anal about what stays in the camper.

17. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Interesting list. We don't need pet supplies, or baby items anymore, but the rest of the list looks similar to mine. Tina takes care of all the food stuffs, and I take care of everything else. My list, that changes slightly every year, is just typed up as a word doc. I can make changes easily, and print off as many as I want. I walk around with a black sharpie and cross things off as they go into the Pup or TV. I tend to over pack as well, and my list is 2+ pages long at this point, one item per line of list. I'm looking to cut back on stuff, but we camp for 3 weeks at a time, so I like to make sure I have everything. I don't want to be stuck 5 hours away from home, need something, realize I left it at home, but now need to go buy another one because I didn't bring it along. I think it comes from going on service calls at some of my old jobs. You need to take almost every tool you have because you never know what problem you'll face when you get there.

18. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    I do too. I would rather not need something and have it than need t and not have it. I tend to make old school pen and paper lists. I make a menu and make separate lists for what I need to buy and what I already have at home. Most of the camping stuff stays in the pup, so all I need to really pack is food, clothes, blankets and pillows

BikeNFish likes this.