Sam A. Baker SP

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by HobieNick, Jul 19, 2015.

1. HobieNick

HobieNick Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Just got back from a great (really hot and humid, but great) weekend at Sam A. Baker State Park near Patterson, MO. It's on the St. Francios River and Big Creek. Both are fantastic clear water rivers that are a pleasure to swim in. Actually the water in the rivers looked cleaner than the water in our subdivision pool. The park has some great hiking and biking as well. Had the water main not broken the facilities would have been great.

I highly recommend this park.

2. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I went there last year and am going back again this year... I believe I reviewed it after last year's stay. Anyway, I also love that park!

3. Indiana

Indiana Just a bunch of squirrels, looking for a nut

Mar 28, 2015
    I have to say I am not a fan of Sam Baker. It is arrayed along a road that gets pretty steady traffic. I found the road noise and headlights annoying. If I had to stay there again I would reserve ahead of time as far from the road as possible. We had reserved a site next to the road, not realizing its a lot busier than just a little campground road. One of my more unpleasant MO camping experiences.

4. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Really? I found the road to be pretty far away and not very busy, at least at night. I stayed in the north campground; maybe the road is closer to the south campground?

5. HobieNick

HobieNick Member

Mar 16, 2015
    I was in campground 2 (the north one) in a site "along" the road. It was hundreds of yards from the road and I did not find there to be much traffic in the evenings and at night. Granted, we spend most of our time in the river rather than the campsite.

6. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I agree with you. We stayed in the same area and had a similar experience.

7. Indiana

Indiana Just a bunch of squirrels, looking for a nut

Mar 28, 2015
    Yeah, I was in the south cg and next to the road. Live and learn. Maybe I should give Sam another chance. I know other pup campers that like it too.

8. HobieNick

HobieNick Member

Mar 16, 2015
    If you do go back definitely take the hike to the shut-ins. It is well worth it and there are less people there. The last time I saw water that clear was in the Boundary Waters.

9. CampinMO

CampinMO New Member

Aug 14, 2017
    SE Missouri
    This is an old thread but I had to throw in my 2 cents. I've been enjoying good ole Sam A since before I could walk. I consider this my "home away from home" as I have spent many a night in Wayne County (Along with the countless nights spent at Camp Lewallen, a Scout camp just across the St. Francois River). Would recommend to anyone wanting the Ozarks experience.