San Angelo State Park

Discussion in 'Texas' started by mike3887, Dec 31, 2013.

1. mike3887

mike3887 Mike

Dec 31, 2013
    Just went to San Angelo last weekend to see some family and stayed in the State Park for a few days.

We didn't arrive until about 8:30p and when we got there we were locked out of the south side of the park. I called a number posted on the north entrance, which was unlocked fortunately, and got no answer repeatedly. I finally found the park host and knocked on his trailer. His response when he opened his trailer door was "What do you want?" I asked where I could find my campsite and he told me there were campsites all around but the gates were all locked and he didn't have the code....he was a very sarcastic gentleman. I drove away and eventually found a site we weren't supposed to be in and set up there for the weekend. The park ranger was very courteous and understanding of the situation and after hearing my issues did not require me to move from our site. All of the other staff was very polite as well; just the 'old man' I had a problem with.

The park itself isn't anything too incredible but it's quiet and usually empty. I camp with kids so any place you can find sticks to hit things with and rocks to throw in water is a good place for them. I'll go back since we go to visit family but I'd never go just for leisure...besides it's a 3.5 hour drive.

2. sblanck

sblanck Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Park hosts seem to be hit or miss. As of late seems the grumpy ones are out in force.
    I suspect many are just in it to get the lower rate.

3. Turfit

Turfit New Member

Dec 27, 2017
    Central Texas
    Stopped here on our way back from Big Bend NP during Christmas break 2017. Gate still locked at 6:00 pm so make sure you are early. They gave us a code to open the gate since we went into town to eat dinner. Campground was not crowded.