Saying goodbye to our little girl (Daisy)

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by silvermickey2002, May 22, 2019.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

For the past few days our little girl (Daisy) has been in the vet hospital for a bladder issue. We picked her up yesterday hoping for the best, unfortunately she just isn't doing well and we made that decision today to have her put down. It's hard enough making that dreaded call to the vet. But then the DW tells me to change the appointment to our long time vet, not the hospital. So had to cancel and then make a second dreaded call.

You don't realize how much you love your pets until you have to make that call!

Now, Daisy was NOT a dog you took camping! She would bark at anything that moved or made a sound. Heck, she would bark as birds flew overhead and tried to jump up a few times to maybe even catch one. Mind you they were up about 50-100 feet...LOL

Forgot to say that the pic I attached here is her sneaking a nap on a couch she knows she wasn't allowed on. It was my fault for leaving the guestroom bedroom door open!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I am sorry, my friend. Pets are family and the loss of family just hurts.

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Best wishes for daisy, sometimes the best thing to do for your furry family members is to let them go. It doesn't help us out much but its whats best for them. You will always remember the good times you had together.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I have been in those shoes twice in the past two years with my two camping dogs. The decision was not any easier the second time. Your Daisy looks similar to my Dusty whom I lost back in Oct.  I know it's hard now, but think of all the good memories you gave her and shared together.

Attached Files:

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

My heart goes out to you. Loosing a paw buddy is never easy.

6. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

So very sorry for your loss. I have had to make that call before...and questioned if it was actually the best decision every single time...it always took me a few days to realize it was right call and it would have been selfish to put our best buddies through anything more.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. .

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I am sorry for the loss. Pets are as much a part of the family as the children, it hurts to lose a great long time companion. However sometimes they are suffering so badly that we must make the call to get them relief. We had an Aussie that had cancer , I even built a ramp on the front door for her to get in and out as she wanted and she finally got so bad that we had to have her put down. All we can do is remember the fond memories just as we do for any family member.

9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I am very sorry for your loss. I also have a "special" pooch, and I know you love them regardless. I dread the day I need to face the decisions you have been forced to make. I wish you comfort during this difficult time.
    Mike

10. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Sorry to hear the bad news.

11. Ruby Jean

Ruby Jean Member

So sorry, know the heartache all too well. You'll see her again on the other side.

12. BlessedBetty

BlessedBetty New Member

I'm so sorry. They are truly family and, hands down, love us better than our human families do most times. I'm glad you have pictures and, better yet, memories that will last your own lifetime. Prayers for you and yours who loved her so much!

13. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Oh gee, putting your pet down is a tough one that we've had to do a few times. Keep your chin up knowing she can slip away, without more pain. Our dear Gromit is getting old and arthritic, way to fast. This is a photo of her (she's black) with the puppy out camping this weekend. The gal is a fellow camper at the next site.

gromit and wally.jpg

14. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

So sorry for your loss.

15. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Sorry for your loss. It hurts just as bad as if it were your actual child...

16. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Thanks everyone! It's sort of weird not having her in the house. For the first few nights we would hear her scratching at our bedroom door, only to realize we were dreaming! After we ate ice cream we would always let her lick the bowl. Vanilla was her favorite!! It's been 3 1/2 weeks and we still find her fur floating around the house!! At least when we vacuum she's not there to attack it!!

17. myride

myride Well-Known Member

It's always difficult saying goodbye to a trusted friend. A very good friend of mine sent me this the last time I felt your grief....

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth...
    though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

18. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

So sorry for your lost. Making that call is heartbreaking. I've had to make it myself a few times and am especially dreading the next time. Just remember that she had a full life with a family she loved who loved her back.

19. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Making the decision to make that call is one of the hardest things to do. For my previous dog Lilly, we thought it was time, we got her in the car and drove to the vet, but the car ride perked her up, so she was tail wagging happy, so i chose to bring her back home. Later that evening, she had a seizure and we rushed her back to the vet and ended her suffering. I wish I had not drug her through that last evening, but i didnt think she or i was ready. So sorry to hear about Daisy. Remember the good times.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.