Sealing the roof????

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Canadiancray, May 22, 2008.

1. dannyoung

dannyoung New Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Just an update for anyone interested in the weight of Rhino coating. I grossly overestimated the weight the product would add; mostly because I overestimated the thickness of the product they would apply. The extra weight (for the entire trailer) added on by the Rhino Lining was only about 25lbs. I had to cut a hole in my roof after it was sprayed, in order to add a vent, and I was able to peel a sample off the chunk of roof I cut out. The stuff is barely 1\32 of an inch, is tough as nails, and weighs nothing.

2. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

Apr 5, 2008
    Mt. Washington, NH
    good to know ! but you have to wonder if every place sprays the same? I have seen it as think as 3/16"

3. dannyoung

dannyoung New Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I would think that if you were getting it sprayed on your pick up truck bed, you would want it at least 3\16". You can always ask them to go light...

4. Canadiancray

Canadiancray New Member

May 19, 2008
    Burlington, Ontario
    What color did you get?????

5. dannyoung

dannyoung New Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    White...It goes on black but they paint it white afterwards. The roof was actually recoated with Rhino Coat and a white rubber paint; the original paint finish they did couldn't withstand the flex of the roof (not the Rhino Coat it held up awesome, just the paint coat failed).

6. ka9nyn

ka9nyn Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Rockford, IL.
  7. Gumbias

Gumbias New Member

May 25, 2008
    This was my solution last year and it is great.

I just recently resealed the roof on my 85'Jayco and I will swear by it now. It was very time consuming but well worth it. I went to the Local big box hardware store and bought a gallon of Elastimaric RV roof paint and some marine calk.

1. Scrubbed the roof as clean as possible with some car wash detergent

2. Stripped off all the calk from the roof (after washing, rinsing ,and drying)

3. Applied a coat of the Elastimaric paint and allowed to dry (about 12 hours) dries very slow don't be afraid to put on thick, but even

4. 12 hours later applied another coat of the Elastimaric paint and allowed to dry over night.

5. Calked all the seams and down the middle seam very even and smooth and allowed to dry. (4 hours)

6. Applied yet another coat of Elastimaric paint and allowed to dry over night.

7. Applied a coat of exterior white semi-gloss house paint. Allowed to dry (over night)

8. One more coat of the semi-gloss and the top looked like new. :)

It got put to the test because it I am in Wisconsin and it was outside during the monsoons we had here when we had 20 inches of rain in a week and not a drop leaked in. The only thing that makes me sad is the roof now is stained from the trees on the first trip, but nothing I can do about that though. Hope this helps.

8. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Oct 28, 2008
    Dover,FL
    Yeppers!, I swear by this stuff as well. We did every thing up to your number 7.

But, we are planning on it. Its been raining so much here in Florida, we cant get it painted. But we know it dont leak any more.

Isn't it funny how we are redoing these roofs, and having to fix the things that dont work. And now have the knowledge how they should of been done in the first place. Just my opinion. But know my roof is better for it now.

Sharon

9. dannyoung

dannyoung New Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree...when the roof is coated in a single elastic membrane like the rubberized RV paint you used or the Rhino lining I used, it just doesn't leak...period. The way the aluminum roofs were originally constructed (and are still being constructed on new trailers) means that they will inevitably fail. I have no idea why PUPs are still being built this way. The factories could easily add a spray on rubberized finish to the product to ensure a lifetime leak free roof.

10. NekoBaka1216

NekoBaka1216 New Member

Aug 21, 2017
    I'd like to see those pics-- I'm rebuilding a roof from bits and pieces and I'd love to see what you've done! (Your links aren't working)