Seam cover rotting

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Crc310, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Crc310

Crc310 New Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Michigan
    Just got a 1991 Palomino Pinto pop up. While scrubbing the grime off the camper, I noticed the cloth over the seam on one corner of the bunk is rotting. It came off easily when I ran my finger over it... Is it something to be concerned about or just for looks? (Corner on left side of pic below) Both corners of both bunks leak. Will be applying waterproofing Thursday.

Attached Files:

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    If its hard and getting brittle , i would start to worry about it. No real timeframe as to when it will fail. If original its 27 years old. Look to see if there are any products to prevent or recondition it? Is it canvas?

Crc310 likes this.
  3. Crc310

Crc310 New Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Michigan
    This is our first camper. Know nothing about campers. Lol Do u have any idea what to start looking for? I have this (a friend recommended) for waterproofing. I used a little natural dish soap in a bucket of water to scrub off the dirt/ algae.

Attached Files:

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    That helps to waterproof the seam. My Jayco had a similar cover over the seams in some areas. Without it water has an easier path to sneak in between the layers. If the material is rotting I would also be very concerned about the stitching. On mine the thread was dry rotted and each campout would result in more stitching failing and coming apart. In the end I decided I did not want to deal with trying to restitch all the canvas so I bought a new set. After having restitched my awning bag by hand with a speedy stitcher it would have taken me a month to do the whole canvas, assuming I didn't have to work or do anything else!

Crc310 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    That will work, i think i used the same stuff, i used a banana roller to roll it on. For the seams some used shoe goo with good results. If the canvas isnt hard, or thin it should be sealable.

6. Crc310

Crc310 New Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Michigan
    Does the waterproofing work on just the canvas or the vinyl bunk ends too?