Seam stitching

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by NovaScotiaViking, Sep 9, 2017.

1. NovaScotiaViking

NovaScotiaViking New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Yarmouth Nova Scotia
    IMG_1071.JPG IMG_1072.JPG IMG_1073.JPG IMG_1074.JPG Any suggestions on repairing the seam on my 2007 Viking 1906...not sure if the panel can be removed to be stitched or if we could repair it set up

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  3. ShellRidenour

ShellRidenour Live, Laugh, Love & Camp

Aug 12, 2012
    Clarksburg, West Virginia
    My husband and I fixed ours this past weekend with a thick sewing needle and thick thread. I was inside passing the needle to him on the outside. For the most part we used the existing holes. Even though our seam was under a flap, I still ran a cheap taper candle over the thread to give it a waxy seal to help with waterproofing.

PS. We ended up needing pliers to push and pull the needle through.

4. NovaScotiaViking

NovaScotiaViking New Member

Sep 9, 2017
    Yarmouth Nova Scotia
    Awesome we had looked at the speedy stitcher and think we're gonna try it...I had called a friend of mine who is an upholstery guy and he wanted me to take the panels off and bring it too him....seems like a lot of work for a few seams....and sounded expensive......so I'm ambitious.....and cheap!!!....I think we'll try the repair ourselves!!!!

ShellRidenour likes this.
  5. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I've used a speedy stitcher for years, with a little patience, they work great....one word of advice, watch your fingers...

NovaScotiaViking likes this.
  6. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Just got finished with an 18" seam repair on the roof to side panel with the speedy stitcher (probably uv damage). The seam had two layers and a double folded pipe edge resulting in 4 layers of vynle and canvas. It was a PITA but I got the job done. It looks like a butcher went to a 4 year old after cutting himself up to get fixed but it will hold back the wind.

I considered removing the the whole canvas from the slide and having it professionally repaired out but decided I'd try this first.

Good luck with the repair. Be patient and practice before you push the first stitch in the tenting.

7. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    And be careful, the needle on the awl is very sharp.

8. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    The best way to repair a seam on popup tenting is to use a technique called saddle stitching. This uses two needles working from opposite sides. With two independent threads you get twice the strength, and the load is on both sides of the fabric. For thread, use Coats and Clarks "outdoor" threads from sewing store; strong stuff, with some UV resistance.

Google "saddle stitching" to find YouTube videos on this technique.