second question re center roof seam

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by lkc, Nov 29, 2017.

1. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Hello all---asking this question again in search of more information please.

Last weekend was really nice weather here so I uncovered my pup and removed the old, cracked & partially missing vinyl seal that goes in the metal track down the center of the roof. Cleaned all the dirt & gunk out of the track and cleaned the area around the center seam with alcohol----and see that I need to replace a few missing/bent screws.

I was thinking of pulling all the screws out, putting a dab of Dicor in each hole, putting screws back in & replacing the vinyl strip with new, then caulking the seam with Dicor, but then I thought maybe it would save a lot of time and future caulking if I just put a strip of eternabond down the entire center seam.

I think I may do the same thing around all the ABS corner caps too because the PO had some hail damage from a storm last year and there a few big dents in the alumitite roof right where the ABS caps are attached. No puncture holes or roof leaking--thankfully they had it covered with a tarp.

Thoughts/advice please? I'm looking for the longest lasting least expensive maintenance/repairs.

Thank you!

2. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    I don't know enough about eternabond to really say if that is the right move or not. My gut says that the center seem is going to shift just enough so that even enternabond will eventually crack over time. My vote is to go with the original plan and replace the failing components with like components. Any roof work is temporary and will require routine maintenance.

3. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    bump?

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Unfortunately I don't have long term experience with eternabond. I used it on my leaking roof rack rails. Held up great for a year now, and had no leaks afterwards. Don't know how it would work on something like your working on. However I got to say once eternabond is down it is no removing it without a LOT of hard work and a hot hair dryer. Best to not work on it on a hot summer day as the tape would stick upon itself and get glue all over everything and yourself.

5. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    I put eternabond over my seams several years ago. It is still holding strong.

6. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Eoleson1--did you just put the tape on or did you also GG over it? Thanks!

7. eoleson1

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    I just put the tape on. I have an aluminum roof. I got tired of caulking every year, so I bout a roll of Eternabond and applied it over every seam I had.

8. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    That's exactly what I was thinking of doing for that exact reason because it is a fair amount of work to recaulk every year, but I'm wondering if I should replace that vinyl strip that covers the screws BEFORE I put the tape on or would that just be a waste of time and money? Thanks for the info!

9. eoleson1

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    While I don't have a vinyl strip, I do have aluminum angle straps, and I just went right over all of it. If the Vinyl is buckled, warped, or otherwise deformed, I would remove it and possibly replace it. If the vinyl is flat, I would just go over the top. I used either 3" or 4" tape.

10. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    If cheap enough I'd put vinyl strip back in then cover with Eternabond . Double insurance

11. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    good advice and information from all--Thank you