Security

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by Nancy Anne, May 30, 2019.

1. Nancy Anne

Nancy Anne New Member

How concerned are you about security? Doug locks up the hitch ball, the receiver to the jeep, the generator, the yeti, the 5 gal gas and water containers, propane tanks, and the trunk lid on camper. He also intends to change locks on hatches. I may have missed something but more than once we have had things taken. We try to make it as had as possible for opportunistic thieves. Not paranoid, just prepared.

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Not very.

I do think it's fair to lock up a generator and expensive cooler, as well as the hitch when towing.

I wouldn't bother locking gas/water cans, and we don't lock up propane or battery. I wouldn't bother changing locks either, but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

We just got a portable solar panel that we've only used once so far, and I lock that down with a cable, just because it's so portable.

At some point you just have to trust people. By the time you lock down stoves, grills, yard games, camp chairs and tables, etc. etc. you're living in a prison not out on vacation.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

On our 2nd popup, we locked the battery, but didn't lock the tanks.
    We've always had a locking pin on the coupler and hitch draw bar. They not only protect from theft, but from having the pins work their way out on the rough roads and many miles we cover. We did have one locking pin malfunction, and had to buy a new saw to cut it off.
    With our small TT, we now have the batteries and LP tanks locked. Not much of an issue in our neighborhood at home, but we'd rather deter the opportunistic thief or vandal at home, on the road, and in a campground. At camp, we do cable the solar panel to the frame of the trailer, or the Progressive EMS, when we have power. However, we haven't much bothered to lock the 20# LP tank and propane campfire when we have them out. Chairs just get tucked under the trailer; our portable tables are usually out under the shade/rain structure.
    Since the pup was simple to break into, we never bothered to change the lock on the second. We did use padlocks on the roof of our first on, as much for not having pins jiggle lose as for vandalism - the way that one was designed, if the front pins were gone, the roof would probably have flown open on the road.
    We did change the storage locks on our TT, not wanting everyone to have that same key. The original door handle/latch broke, so we have a different key than usual there anyway.

I do a hands-on check after every stop on the road. On a trip a couple of years back, the sway bar was loosened when I stopped at a Walmart. It looked okay, so I didn't notice until I got a bit down the road. There was a pickup truck pulling away as I was walking back to the TT, so I don't know if it was an attempt at theft, or "just" vandalism. [feeling the hubs and checking the plug are also part of the hands-on check; I've had the plug loosen just a wee bit on some long hauls, enough to take the brakes out of service.]
    On another group I read, one of the members just had her draw bar pin stolen (I suppose it may have worked lose, but the report was that it had been removed) - not too far down the road after a stop the trailer hopped off the hitch ball.

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I don't worry much. I keep expensive items out of sight - camera gear, electronics, etc.

With the parrot, I do lock the door(s) if I'm stepping away for a length of time just to prevent anyone from wanting to get a closer look.

I do have coupler and hitch locks. And I have a padlock to keep the roof down.

Other than that, I don't do anything special. Never had anything stolen yet.

5. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

We lock bikes and tarp the kayaks if they are not on the van, and when we leave the campsite we keep the camera equipment in the van. Other than that we don't worry. We have a 25 year old travel trailer. I don't think people are casing our stuff lol.
    Plus we live in Canada.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Wow, you live in Canada? The land of the never robbed! :rolleyes: Just dont cross that boarder! Ever! Lol. [:D] i kid, i kid......maybe[}:)]
    I will agree, if its not new or flashy it probably will not get stolen. I can see taking the expensive yedi coolers. But a 30 doller target one, not so much. I did buy a remote door alarm for when i go to Disney later this year. Im guessing it will be easy for people tell when were gone for the day.

neighbormike and Tulip like this.
  7. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

LOL there are a few places we would like to visit in the States. Lake Placid, a couple of places in the north eastern states, and we loved the lower shore of Lake Erie when we were there a few years ago. We'd also love to see the Grand Canyon - and we would like to take the kids to Florida (I went to high school in FL). But there are lots of places to explore here, and we've decided we are going to wait to see what 2020 brings before making plans.
    Oh - and we don't lock our doors where I live. False sense of security maybe but I like it that way.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

Our storage compartments on the PUP lock along with the front tongue box. Any valueables don't stay in the canvas areas when away and at night or on travel the cooler and food stays in the back of the car anyway. For us it's better to be safe than sorry. However, at the same time we don't worry about people breaking in and stealing things like our clothes and sleeping bags. Same goes for camping chairs or grilles. That and the camper always gets a hitch ball lock, even if you could probably just lift it into the back of a pickup...It's just a habit of DTA unfortunately. I've had many things stolen from locked cars at home so I'd just rather not risk it.

9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

It depends on where you are/ how far you're traveling... I will lock stuff in town/ at home... at the campground I roll my eyes at the sound of everyone locking their cars (and cringe at the horn confirmations)... My keys are usually in my truck, back end open, camper open, camp kitchen & solar setup out... when I can't do that I will find a new campground or hang up my gloves.

bayport and kcsa75 like this.
  10. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

At home, I keep a hitch lock on the camper, and keep the door locked. At the campsite, we lock the tow vehicle, the bikes and kayaks up at night and when we leave the site. We lock the camper door if we're leaving the campground, but we leave it open if we are wandering around the CG.

11. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I'm not paranoid about it, but like to keep things from being taken easily. At home the hitch gets 2 locks on it, 1 that goes up in the coupler, and 1 that locks the handle down. Yes, I know that a cordless angle grinder will defeat those 2 in about 15 seconds flat, but they still make me feel a little more at ease. The LP tank and the battery come off and go in the garage. I found a set of pad locks that are 4 locks keyed alike. So that makes the 1 on the tongue lock, 1 on the storage locker lid, 1 on the roof latch, and 1 on the spare tire. I installed a long stud to hold the spare tire on, drilled a hole through the stud, and have the pad lock in that hole. Put the stabs down at home to slow that bad guys down, and thats it. While at the campsite, nothing really gets locked. We put valuables (laptops, and such) in the TV and lock it up while we walk to the beach for the day. Other than that, nothing gets locked. We have never lost anything in about 30 years of camping, (famous last words).