Self stick vinyl flooring question

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Woodrow SC RT11, May 22, 2018.

1. Woodrow SC RT11

Woodrow SC RT11 New Member

Apr 18, 2018
    Has anyone use self stick vinyl flooring to remodel their pop up? I live in ND with very cold winters and hot summers. Flooring guy at Menards told me not to use the self stick wood grain looking vinyl flooring as it would not be able to expand and contract with temperature changes and would end up cracking and breaking a part.

What are your experiences with updating your pop ups floors?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I'm going to use a vinyl floating floor plank style to do my floors and plan to leave a small gap in inconspicuous places to allow for expansion etc. I haven't had a chance to buy it yet, as I just couldn't afford the extra $ at the time. So don't have real world experience yet. It looked fairly simple to do and no need for glue. It was however more money.

3. Whiteycracker

Whiteycracker Active Member

May 22, 2016
    South Chicagoland
    I was thinking about doing the same, but i am nervous because i thought the same thing. I thought about floating the floor but not sure. I live near Chicago and we get some COLD & HOT weather here also. I just would hate to make it worse and waste the time and money.

4. Woodrow SC RT11

Woodrow SC RT11 New Member

Apr 18, 2018
    the guy here recommended just getting a sheet of linoleum and cutting it to shape and not gluing it down. seems floating the vinyl tiles would be the same concept and easier to cut to shape and lay with the locking mechanism. I was just concerned with not gluing it down. my just have to try floating the tiles and see what happens.

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Plenty of folks here have use the vinyl flooring. I believe that they use a primer of some type or glue first. I know that the sticky on the tiles will not stick without some help.

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We have always used peel & stick in our campers and never had any issues. Now we live in Florida, but previously live in WV with very cold winters. Use extra glue if putting them over existing floor. If putting over raw wood, use the primer they sell for it.

DocHoliday likes this.
  7. Whiteycracker

Whiteycracker Active Member

May 22, 2016
    South Chicagoland
    I wondered how it would do in different seasons. With the heat to cold temp changes.....

8. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    I re-did the floor of our ensuite a few years ago. I went to a flooring store and found very good prices in the 'end of the roll' area. The floor area of a pup is pretty small and you might be able to get something you like and just float. leave 1/4" at the edges and use quarter-round. You shouldn't have much problem with expansion/contraction.

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I hate my peel and stick. I sear they move around and the gaps change. Was installed on new clean floor and I am not happy. I think campers have too much floor movement. A better choice would be 1 piece vinyl, snap together flooring (but worry about the seams curly up a little) or carpet. I think tiles with grout would crack also.
    Just my 2 cents which isn't worth a nickel.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  10. Birdawg

Birdawg Member

May 31, 2018
    Wilmington NC
    I just put some down in my pup and we have gotten some hot days and good so far.

11. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    What product did you use for extra adhesive?

12. Lanternman

Lanternman Active Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Mooresville NC
    I put stick down vinyl 'wood' floors in out Starcraft over the winter, just wiped the linoleum floor down real good with brake cleaner and a rag, so far no problems with temp swings or panel movement/gaps, but thats a horizontal surface that gets walked on regularly. I did take some of the leftovers and stick them to the mini fridge without prepping it, and every time I raise the roof on the pup, the fridge panels are laying on the floor.
    3M 'super 77' trim adhesive comes to mind here for extra insurance, and might be something for you to look into? We use it a lot in the hot rod shop- once you stick something together with that, youre not gonna get it apart. Its in aerosol form and easy to spray out.

Attached Files:

sceri likes this.
  13. drgiese

drgiese Active Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Northern California
    I used floating vinyl plank. I allowed 1/8-1/4" margin all around and filled it with caulk. Just got back from a 1700+ mile trip and it did great - no shifting or buckling. And super easy to install!

landon6062, pasobuff and Raycfe like this.
  14. sceri

sceri Active Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Washington State
    I like the flooring you chose. Really look great in your caravan....

15. Lanternman

Lanternman Active Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Mooresville NC
    Thank you! Overstock sale at Ollies, set me back a whopping 50 bucks, and I have enough left to do it again haha.

16. Tumbleweed53

Tumbleweed53 New Member

Sep 11, 2016
    The original version of the 3M "77" trim glue was called Yellow Death for a reason. It will be the death of you If you try to remove it. LOL

Lanternman likes this.
  17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Lowes sells a primer to use prior to putting the tiles down, also they sell glue too, it would not hurt to use bothe the primer and extra glue to make sure they stick solid.

18. AzJeff

AzJeff New Member

Jun 10, 2018
    northern Arizona
    Vote for the floating vinyl plank. Easy peasy to work with. I put glue-down vinyl plank in a TT with no problems and we have 80+ degree temp difference from winter to summer, but would do the floating next time.

BTW, we use Super 77 adhesive at work a lot and it seems they changed the formulation along with the appearance of the can. The new stuff absolutely doesn't stick as well. If you find old stock buy it up.

19. Lanternman

Lanternman Active Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Mooresville NC
    Including your clothes, fingers, and God forbid you get it in your arm hair hahaha!

AzJeff, ya know I never thought of that, and youre absolutely right.