Selling our PUP

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by xcquadracer, Jun 21, 2019.

1. xcquadracer

xcquadracer New Member

So last year we bought a used PUP. The previous owner had it registered and titled, which we got filled out upon purchase. Wisconsin law does not require license/title for the size of our PUP, so we did not do anything from there. Now we are selling it ourselves and want to be sure to get the new owner a working title. Was there a step we missed where we still had to go to the DMV to register but not get a plate or did you we do it correct? If so, how do we go about selling it now? I was going to call DMV but was nervous we did it wrong and get in some sort of trouble. I should have called after we bought it to verify but it never happened. Thanks in advance.

2. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

I made the same mistake last year. I'm not sure what your Wisconsin laws are. In utah for our size we were required to get a title and liscence (Yeah, whoops). When we finally went ot fix it they didn't even care that we had waited months. There were no repurcussions for making a mistake. We just brought it in and were able to register it. In some states you can get the title handed right to you. Sometimes you have to wait weeks to receive the title. I would call your DMV first (I know...shudder). The first trailer we bought we got the title right away because we purchased it in state. The next trailer we bought a few hours away in another state so it required a VIN inspection by a local law enforcement officer (we just called our local police department and they came out right away. He says he does several a week). Then we submitted it and had to wait a few weeks to receive the title in the mail.

IF your state really does not require a title you COULD do a bill of sale. But I personally would feel better having a title. Especially since it did have a title once upon a time (or does, just in someone else's name). Keeping a title current is a LOT easier (and cheaper) than trying to prove chain of ownership and get a valid title. I see ads all the time for "doesn't have a title but is easy to get one". No, it is not easy. It's really difficult and sometimes impossible.

Good luck with your sale!

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Yep, if it were so easy, they would have done it themselves before putting on the market.

I would never, ever buy anything without a valid title, even if my state didn't require it. Just too risky.

@xcquadracer , I wish you luck with your sale. You will likely get more money if you go to the effort of acquiring a title yourself first.

MaeKay likes this.
  4. xcquadracer

xcquadracer New Member

Sounds good, I will go the route of getting the title then. I was trying to avoid paying tax but I assume when I bring it in to register and get title I will be forced to pay the tax then :D

Orchid and MaeKay like this.
  5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Just add that cost, plus extra for your effort, to the price of the camper. You'll get it with a clear title. :smiley: That's worth a LOT to most people.

6. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Haha, yep. We were too since we didn't know if we were going to keep the trailer. I got raked over the coals for my niavete. Glad to see I'm not the only one who didn't think of this. Good luck! We're looking at getting a new (to us) car and I finally learned from all this trailer buying (3 trailers in 8 months) that I need to budget in sales tax for each of them.

7. xcquadracer

xcquadracer New Member

Thanks!

Heres another slightly off topic question. We had a mouse chew a couple holes in the tent over the bed during the winter [:(!] I patched them up with clear patch and they are holding up perfectly, even during a hour long downpour. How likely are people to buy a camper in this situation? I am quite afraid we are going to lose a ton of money because this will turn people away. We paid $3500 for it then spent $400 putting new plank flooring down, painting all the cabinets white and new curtains throughout. It now has a golf ball sized hole above the bed and 2 smaller holes at the end of the bed towards the bottom. Just an opinion on if I could ask for $3500 again or if the patched holes are likely to drive me way down.

8. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

That is out of my field of experience. I personally would stay away from anything with a hole in it but that's simply because we have very limited repair skills. But I get your frustration. I've damaged something just before I was going to sell it and it dropped the value. I'm so sorry for you! Wish I could tell you more.

Our last tent trailer we sold had a rip in the slide out side but not a hole. We were able to repair it with vinyl patching and I pointed it out to the purchaser. It was on a side and well patched so it didn't affect the value. Not sure about canvas holes. I live in fear of mouse damage.

9. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

A hole due to a mouse is better than a hole due to rot, so it might not effect the value too much. The clear patch tape may turn people away. I used it on my pop up and every time the sun hit it just right, my brain said 'crap. I've got a hole.' Even after 10 years of seeing the hole in the same spot. Like you, my tape held up wonderfully - even through a small hurricane. But if you can find a different type of patch, it might help you.

10. xcquadracer

xcquadracer New Member

I actually also purchased a heavier duty white patch (I couldn't find a color to match so I didn't want the white to stand out so much) but do have it. What I actually did was printed off a piece of paper with a color to match as close as possible and sandwiched it between the clear patch that I have on the inside and outside. From the outside, the patch is nearly invisible. From the inside, you can see light shining through.

eoleson1 likes this.
  11. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

I am impressed with your creativity.

12. xcquadracer

xcquadracer New Member

Thanks! :grin: I was pretty proud of myself haha Its nearly unnoticeable from the outside, but from the inside you can definitely see the light shining through!

MaeKay likes this.
  13. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Next patch, see if you can sandwich something like foil or mylar to block the light, then put two pieces of paper the color of the canvas. Then the waterproof patch.[LOL]

14. xcquadracer

xcquadracer New Member

That's a good idea! Tempted to swap this one out for that haha

MaeKay likes this.
  15. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

If you have the title from the P.O. Why not just pass it along to the buyer??

16. xcquadracer

xcquadracer New Member

Because its already signed, dated and price filled out from our purchase. I ended up registering and should be receiving the updated title any day now! Then sell so my driveway doesn't look like an camper sales lot anymore.

MaeKay and neighbormike like this.