Setting Up Alone

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by NJDrummer, Nov 9, 2015.

1. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

First, forgive me if this has been covered -- I looked in likely places for a topic, no dice, and a search for the phrase "setting up alone" returns every single time the word "up" appears...and on a forum about pop up campers, that's a lot!

My DH recently had microdiscectomy on his L5 disc. The good news is the debilitating leg pain he has suffered with for so long is GONE! The bad news is he can't really lift anything at all. (Not yet, anyway!)

That, however, has not deterred him from wanting to go camping for our last outing of the season this weekend. And after all he's been through I really want to make this happen for him. And that's where I need some guidance/suggestions.

The front bunk has two sets of poles -- 2 are L-shaped and I put them in before I pull out the bed end. I then pull out the bed end and it rests on those two while put the other two in. That bed is easy.

The back bunk is the problem. He can't hold the weight of the bed while I attached the poles. Is it okay for it to hang briefly between my pulling it out and getting under it to attach the poles? What do people who camp alone do?

Again sorry if this has been covered - I really couldn't find anything about it!

Thanks in advance!

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

Could you prop it up with a PVC pipe under the center of the bunk? It doesn't have to be perfect, it's only for like 30 seconds while you get the real support poles hooked up. I'm sure if there are other campers around they'd be more than willing to help for a minute given your situation.
    Oops, I forgot to say-- If i let the bunk hang, it bends the upper corner of the slide mechanism... not good.

3. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Hopefully someone more familiar with your model PUP will chime in, but for me my last PUP had queen beds on the slide outs and were fine hanging there for the minute or less it took to put the supports in. My current is a Coleman Columbia so the slide outs are small so not much weight. I would think (and this is just my thoughts on it) that if it didn't come with supports to be used when its pulled out like the front ones you mentioned, it should be safe to pull it out without them as long as you get the supports in right away and don't put any added weight on it. While my DW is great in her joy in camping, when it comes to setup she is a bit of a klutz so I have always done the setup alone.

4. bldmtnrider

bldmtnrider Member

I can't see why you couldn't just pull the bed out and then attach the poles. Heck, I pull my bed out, have a sip of beer, tell my kid to spit out either a stick or a rock that he has shoved in his mouth, try to figure out where my dog got that candy wrapper from, get a chair out for my wife, have another sip of beer, and then attach the supports.

So long as there is no weight on the bunk you can let it hang.

5. The Hillbilly Hilton

The Hillbilly Hilton New Member

I have a king and queen bed and pull them out all the time without putting the support polls.

I do this if I am loading, unloading, cleaning etc. For instance, when I am winterizing. The hot water tank is in the trunk under the bed. So when it is pulled out, you can't get to it. However to hook up the water pump to the antifreeze you have to have access to the inside.

So winterizing take a few back and forths of the bed alternating between inside an out and opening an closing. So it cuts down on the time not putting the supports in.

Never had a problem. Just don't let the kids in.

6. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

Thanks, all!

(It may be easier to invite another couple along!)

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I set up by myself all the time. Now for my bunk (assuming your back is up for the job), you can crawl under lift it up with your back and slide the poles in their slots. This works well for me as my upper body strength is not the greatest especially one handed, but my legs and back were the strongest. I do like the idea of the extra pole/branch idea to support the bunk until you get the poles in too.

8. egapylime

egapylime Member

Exactly how I do it, except I get a chair out for my husband!

9. JT105

JT105 Member

We always pulled the bunk out then put the bar in. I did the front. My son did the back bunk by himself. The bunk hangs there. Just lean down and lift with our back and slip the support pole in the slots. No problem.

10. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Have DH sit under and do the poles....

11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

When the previous owner showed us how to set up the pup, they said nothing about making sure it doesn't hang while you get the poles ready. We've never worried about that (obviously you wouldn't go inside and actually SIT on the beds without the supports) and after two seasons, no worse for wear.

It may be a bigger deal with a king bed, our largest is a queen.

12. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

No problem at all of our trailer with two kings on each side. We've never worried about that either!
    BTW: I am always set up alone by myself!

13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

It does not hurt if you let it hang for a few minutes before you prop up the support poles under it. The thing is that NEVER let anyone sit on the bed without support poles at any time... or you will have only one bed and tarp cover the other side while the bed is bend down to ground.

14. davido

davido Active Member

I prefer to set up alone, but it sounds like our configuration is a little different.

On mine, I raise the roof, pull the bunk supports out from under one of the mattresses, install the supports, pull out the bunks, pull out the slider, install the door, raise the bunk-end and slide-out canvass.

15. elling

elling New Member

Not sure the difference between your viking and my viking 2465st. I have 2 a frame style poles that go on both ends before I pull the bunks out. They seem to hold the king size beds pretty good until I can get the other supports in.

16. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

DW invited a friend of hers to come up and help her break our unit down after my 1st back operation, ( I had an upper 1st and 2nd a lower back operation ) On the way home from the first we came to a great conclusion to go on the Dark Side and it has worked out really well. We went to Camping World and bought a small TT. Going dark was the best for us and we love it, in a hurry chuck the stuff in, hook up to the tv and head for home. No more setting up in the weather or having to pack all that stuff. I changed the front jack to electric and just flip a lever to level front to back, and a BAL Leveler does the side to side leveling. We love it and are glad we went to the dark side.

17. Popup Kiwi

Popup Kiwi New Member

Hi there, I set up a old 1977 popup that we had to re-force beds and supports and its heavier. I totally get where your coming from. I brought a
    Cargo Bar Adjustable Ratchet
    (Lowes?) and it works a treat. Totally adjustable and it does the work and not your back.