Setting up propane???

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by 2pluscamping, Oct 30, 2017.

1. 2pluscamping

2pluscamping New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    DFW
    Finally went camping after working on the camper and getting the propane line fixed which is great. However the sales guy did not explain how to use it and even after asking the repair guy didn't really explain how to do this. The result was my daughter and I were very cold despite having a little space heater.

Can someone please explain this to me and give me step by step setup instructions? I checked the owners manual and it doesn't say and the furnace said instructions were inside but nothing was there (may have been there at one time but it is no longer there). I have a 1996 Laramie Coleman.

Attached Files:

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    your picture is the back of the refrigerator.

3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    X2 ^^^

4. 2pluscamping

2pluscamping New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    DFW
    ok. (Hand in face) First pup and no one has really explain things.
    So do I need to do anything with this stuff to get the furnace to work?
    Does the pilot light need to be on for the furnace?

I turned the furnace on and it started blowing but it was just blowing air not warm air.

5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    pull the gill off the front of the furnace and make sure the little on/off switch is ON (gas valve switch).

Propane cylinder open, try the stove to purge the air and make sure propane is flowing.

Turn the thermostst to ON (small switch may be on bottom and hard to move)

set stat to temp and the furnace fan should being.

after a short time the gas valve should open and clicking (igniter) then a gooosh as the burner lights.

kitphantom likes this.
  6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    The fan needs to operate fast enough to close a 'sail switch' (safety device). If it does not close the gas valve will not open and the igniter will not attempt to light the burner. Low voltage or mud dauber is the intake/exhaust etc may be an issue.

kitphantom likes this.
  7. 2pluscamping

2pluscamping New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    DFW
    Ok. Thanks will set it up and try all this to see if I can get it working for the next trip. The fan was blowing pretty hard (in my inexperienced opinion) but I did not know that I need to lite the stove to clear the line. This may sound like a stupid question but will I need to purge the line every time I change the tanks?

Back history on this propane system. When I bought it they told me that they capped the line because the regulator was leaking. I had the regulator fixed by the repair guy but the repair guy told me that the system was fixed/checked but the tanks were leaking (not sure how a system is checked and working with a leaking tank). He asked that I replace the tanks, which I replaced both just to be safe. He told me he was going to come back to check the system, he never came. I asked him what I could do or what I needed to do, he never responded.

Side question. Do I need to mess with that back panel if I only use AC power for the fridge?

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    making sure the propane is flowing at the stove is just good practice cuz you can see it and if it is tiny or poor ya may need to shut and reopen the cylinder. The furnace burner is big enough to clear the line by it self. something to do if it does not fire up and usually suggested before trying to light the tiny burner on the fridge.

Listen for the clicking say 15-30 seconds after the blower starts

here's some light reading for you reading plrasure, assume you have a Atwood 7900 series, the 16btu version.
    http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflameservice.pdf
    the sequence of operation is there to help diagnose, page 16.
    troubleshooting page 28

9. 2pluscamping

2pluscamping New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    DFW
    Thanks. The last one looks like the one I have and I remember the repair guy mumbling about electric start.

Going to read up on this, thanks you have been a huge help and have given me more information than the sales guy and the repair guy combined.

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    create a directory on your computer and keep a copy of the above service manual for sage keeping.
    Also add this one, a part book for a 96 grand tour series Coleman including the larime.
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.rvs.com/COLEMAN PARTS BOOK/1996/1996 coleman grand tour.pdf

your fridge is made by norco and there is a manual somewhere for it, find it and keep a copy on your computer.

There are more docs for water heater, lift system etc, keep a copy on your computer, Capy em all to a thumb drive to keep in the PU! may come in handy some time and the next owner will appreciate them also.