Sewing Canvas/Speedy Stitcher

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by JGibson, Oct 20, 2018.

1. JGibson

JGibson New Member

Sep 26, 2018
    East Tn
    Just wondering if anyone had to see their canvas at some point? Mine has a few "open" seams, not completely but I can the light through them. I bought a speedy stitcher and plan to try it once the rain stops. Anyone ever try one of these?
    [​IMG]

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    They work great. I would practice first on a scrap first. That way when you do the seam it will better than new. I did two very long seams and by the time I got about a foot done it looked great. I later redid the first foot.

pasobuff and JGibson like this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Go for it. You should be happy.

4. JGibson

JGibson New Member

Sep 26, 2018
    East Tn
    I'm going to practice with it for sure lol. I plan to use braided fishing line for the thread, don't trust the thread that came with it...

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I think you are wrong there. The waxed thread that comes with a real speedy-sticher would be a better choice. It will lay down better and swell up to seal better.

Katskamper, tombiasi and JGibson like this.
  6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have used one for years, especially to repair my backpacking /canoe camping gear. They work great but as advised practice using it first . I used iron on or stick on patches first then sewed them with the stitch er. Good Luck and Happy camping

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I bought one about a year ago, but don't remember why. I don't have any rips. Have never used it, although I do plan to learn how and then keep it in my toolbox.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I've had several for going on 30 years now....used it to repair/ modify motorcycle leathers, made a possibles bag & several other mall items for my muzzle-loader addiction, & yes, I've used it to repair tentage, both on-the-ground, & my pup. I wouldn't be without one

9. JGibson

JGibson New Member

Sep 26, 2018
    East Tn
    I ended up using the waxed thread that came with it. Sewing new velcro to the canvas that connects to the door. Pretty easy to use just a little slow.

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Use the thread it comes with. The waxed thread does a better job and is meant for this very type of application. Fishing line will degrade quicker in the sun as well and it will not swell to help seal the hole.

I used it to resew my awning bag. Took a long time to do but I was very happy with the result.

11. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I practiced on some old jeans when I got my sewing Ahl. Moved to a canvas bag for more practice then on to my repair. Build confidence before your repair, it'll go fine!

12. JGibson

JGibson New Member

Sep 26, 2018
    East Tn
    I sewed some new velcro where the canvas meets the door and tightened a few gaps I found, I'm very pleased with the results.

13. Troy Dalton

Troy Dalton New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Portsmouth, VA.
    This is exactly what I needed!

14. wmadoty

wmadoty New Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nothing to add here. Love the little gadget. I have never needed it for the camper but I have used it for several teens of other projects and I love it. When using it to fix canvas (inside outside repair) train a helper to stick the tag through the loop. I agree that the waxed thread is better with type of repair.