sharing info on rock wood roof.

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by penny, Nov 21, 2017.

1. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    well, I've had a hard enough time finding information on what would work best to seal our pop up roof. We have finally found a lot of tiny hairline cracks on the surface when we were cleaning the top. I thought I'd share what I've learned in case someone else is looking for information. My 2010 rockwood 1460 ltd freedom series has a top constructed of lamilux flex pebble fiberglass roof material. this is a fiberglass combined in a plastic polyester resin. Not all roof coatings will properly adhere. I am still waiting for a recommendation from Lamilux rep, who was very helpful. The other helpful rep was from the company that makes Henry roof coating. Based on the information about the surface from Lamilux, he recommended using a first coat of tropicool 885 sealant with fiberglass fabric where needed, followed by 887 tropicool coating. Our roof has no visible damage, like big tears or cracks, so we will use first coat of the 885, second coat of 887. these are siliconized coatings, he said their elastomeric Henry envirowhite wouldn't adhere properly.
    We will wait to hear from Lamilux, but we are leaning toward the tropicool products because they are available at local stores. I'll post back on our experiences and hopefully, our success story!

Antipodes and Calicajun like this.
  2. JBinNV

JBinNV Member

May 10, 2017
    Reno, NV
    Would love to hear how it works out for you. These Rockwood roofs don't seem to be the most durable. I just had my roof replaced under warranty because of delamination issues. It is a brand new pup. Was yours damaged by exposure to sun, rain and the elements?

3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I know two dealers that have had the roofs covered by a Rhino lining process. I checked with a dealer and it was about 1K.

4. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Thanks Penny. Good info and a lot more than I found when I looked at it.
    Got a dodgy roof on my rockwood, but I also have rot around the fantastic fan, so I will have to remove it sometime to repair the rot.
    Will watch how you ended up going to see if it is worth trying to only cut the area around the fan and repair or do the whole lot when I attempt to fix.

5. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    this camper is new to us, but apparently was not maintained at all by the previous owner. Inside, it hardly looks as if it had been used. the sides of the camper and the canvas look like new. But the top was dirty, all of the calking around the top had separated and the fiberglass plastic skin on the top is loose in many places. I'm sure uv damage, as the gel coat is pretty much gone and little fibers stick up. probably sat in the New Mexico sun, maybe even unopened most of it's life. soaking up the sun, then being drenched by our famous gully washer rain storms. It had only one place the wood is soft, in one place on the front edge, and my husband has patched that.

I feel hopeful because we finished the second interior roof brace today. then I shut it tight and scrubbed the top with a long handled stiff brush and a full strength solution of TSP. then I hosed it off very well, a lot of water to rinse, and it seemed there was no more pooling of water on the spots that were ponds the last time it rained. I then popped it back up as quickly as possible, in case it was leaking, and there were no leaks. Now, it may have leaked if it were in an overnight rainstorm, but at least the hose didn't make it leak. So probably on Friday we will paint the top with one coat, second on Saturday and Sunday the high is forecast to be 74, so it will get a nice day to cure. THEN WE CAMP!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Mat Kyne likes this.
  6. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    a couple more thoughts. In spite of the leaks, the roof is remarkably firm under the loose fiberglass/poly panel. when we stand inside, we can push a very firm ceiling up and the dip sort of pops back into the proper position. If it were soft and rotted feeling, we probably would not have tried to brace it to remove the sag, but would have done something more extensive.

after speaking to the Lamilux rep today, I realize that Forest River chose a material, based on the information that would be light, strong and waterproof. I don't find fault with a manufacturer that tries new and promising materials. And maybe if it had been maintained, the top would have been fine. now to keep using a product that doesn't hold up and they are aware of it is another problem altogether. But there are a lot of things about my little camper that really impress me too. the quality of the canvas and some of the designs are really nice. Also the use of a high grade plywood for the pull out beds is impressive to me.

Mat Kyne likes this.
  7. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    another update. we got the first, and perhaps the only coat of tropi-cool we will need on the camper. what a sticky mess it was to "paint" on. It is thick and begins to cure quite quickly. today was very dry and in the high 70s maybe that had something to do with it. the instructions suggest a roller, but my husband wanted to use a brush so he could sort of force it into the pebbled surface "valleys". maybe a roller would have been easier. but it's done now, and I think it looks pretty good. It is still tacky and very glossy. hopefully it will dry and cure to a duller shine and not feel so gummy then. It does go on well to every roof surface, fiberglass to metal and over calking quite nicely and seems to be a good coating. but yuck, tricky to get on evenly.

Mat Kyne likes this.
  8. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    And this morning, not tacky or sticky at all. Looks nice in fact, a bit shiny but not like a patent-leather roof anymore.
    Last night I had a dream it was like a wet skin, slipping off when pressed. EEK!

It is very tough and stuck on good though.

Mat Kyne likes this.
  9. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Well, we finally had a nice rain. and.....no leaks! water running off the top like the proverbial duck's back. no pools or puddles on the top. The finish on top is a little rubbery looking, but not as shiny as when a week old, and I think it looks fine. I am now quite happy with this little pop up.

Mat Kyne likes this.
  10. CCundiff

CCundiff Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Penny can you post some pics?

11. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    I can of the inside, will have to take some of the outside. Right now, it is popped up, but I will take some later. Here is one of the inside and the two braces. will post more and better later.

Attached Files:

Mat Kyne likes this.
  12. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    sorry for the brief reply and lack of photos! I've had and am still having a lot of company at our house, making it difficult to find much spare time. (grandkids and other relatives and friends.) The camper is popped up, and still is, as the weather has been much warmer than usual. I couldn't find pictures of the finished top, and took very few, if any, of the process. so far, it seems to be an acceptable job. It looks pretty good from the outside and inside. We have yet to get a really hard rain to know if there are any leaks. We've had a few small cloud bursts and have washed the camper, and seems like a good fix.

Mat Kyne likes this.
  13. Mat Kyne

Mat Kyne New Member

Jan 22, 2018
    Central Texas
    Penny, thanks for the write up. We appear to be in the same boat as I have the same pup as you. I was contemplating going with the Tropi-Cool route to fix what I suspect are some tiny holes in my fiberglass roof. So I have a couple of questions: First, did you use a primer? I called Henry and asked what they recommended, and he suggested HE 825 if required. Second, how much did you use? Finally, 4 months later how does it look/feel? Would you still recommend doing it? Thanks.

14. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    IMG_2672.JPG Hi Mat, we are very happy with the tropic cool 887. We didn't prime it, first braced the roof from the inside, then we scrubbed the top with tsp and a stiff brush. (It was hard to get really clean) then rinsed and let it dry. The next warm day, we put it on. It seemed very difficult to brush on evenly, and yet it did sort of flow together and brush strokes were less noticeable. It was hot and very dry when we did ours, I think it was drying as we attempted to spread it. a cooler and more humid day might have made it easier to apply. We didn't even use the full gallon. Finally took some pics. The top has rain and dust on top and I wiped it off with a rag to show how it looks. Also a pic of the biggest drip....

Attached Files:

jnc and Mat Kyne like this.