Should this be replaced?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Jhunt012, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

Aug 27, 2015
    This thin metal piece has a piece of foam under it and there is one at the bottom of each "support piece" that holds the roof up. 2 of the 4 look like this (cracked). When the roof is closed the rubber weather stripping seals on top of it.

Can/Should these be replaced and what might have caused this?

Any advice is appreciated - Thanks for your time!

Jim

Attached Files:

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I don't see a crack.

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Looks to be cracked just below the rivets in the photo, but not sure of its purpose...

Jhunt012 likes this.
  4. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    They look like aluminium extrusion from you image and look like guide plate for the posts.
    The right hand lug looks like it has broken completely.
    I also see that the bracket has been moving on the rivets and they seem to be at the ends of the holes.
    Looking as this from here I would guess the bracket has failed and should be replaced as the lift post seems to be slopping fwd and back causing the holes to elongate in the bracket.
    The rest of the aluminium extrusion is holding the lift posts in place, but my guess on the brackets in question, is that they reduce the amount of movement the lift post has in the wall and consequently reduce the total roof sway.
    Of course the extrusion under it may also be cracked but can't make out too much in this picture.
    I don't think it is a safety problem unless the lower extrusion is badly compromised.

Jhunt012 likes this.
  5. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Makes sense that it is in place to minimize movement of lift post. I thought it was almost like a trim piece to cover opening around base of lift post. It's very thin. Do you know if it has a name and/or how to get a replacement?

6. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

Aug 27, 2015
    The crack/break is in the rectangular piece at the base of the lift post, Just below the rivet on the right side.

7. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

Aug 27, 2015
    I actually found the answer to my question on YouTube if anyone is interested

KampKarma likes this.
  8. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Interesting. Plate is just a holder for the sealing gasket and is intended to move back and forward.
    Good find by you.

KampKarma and Jhunt012 like this.
  9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I would not replace them. I don't think the crack makes any difference.

10. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

Aug 27, 2015
    I appreciate your opinion. Now that I better understand their purpose, I certainly won't be in a rush to replace them.

11. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

Aug 27, 2015
  12. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    I would replace them, they keep crap out of the lifter posts. Which could cause the lifter posts to bind during lifting or lowering the roof.