Sideboard construction

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Mamie, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I know a 12" wide pine board would probably be ideal to construct new sideboards out of, but other than that, what do you use? Has anyone used laminated or osb or plywood? Now that I am finally able to get a title and tag, I need to do some work on the camper itself and figure the sideboards would be the best place to start.

2. cabranch47

cabranch47 New Member

Nov 29, 2016
    I had to replace the sideboard on my 2009 HW27SC couple of years ago. I used 1/2" plywood. I needed 14' so I had to join two pieces together. I made a scarf joint between the two pieces and used a good wood glue and staples. It has held up well without any sagging. Be careful taking the sideboard off. The roof covering is very thin. After replacement I sealed the seams with 4" Eternabond tape and coated the roof with Dicor Fiber glass coating, tape and all. Worked great and looks good. No need to recaulk every year and no leaks.

3. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Thanks so much. I have never heard of a scarf joint, but I like that and I like the idea of staples or brads better than dowels. I have mentioned fiber glassing the roof a couples times on the forum for the very reason that you stated - no caulking and no leaks. However, I thought to put a thin layer of the cloth and then coat it with the resin. Did you use the cloth at all or just rolled on the resin?

4. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    p.s. I thought of something else. You said you used 1/2" plywood. I thought I needed 1" for the bottom trim to fit on. Did you replace any of the skins on the sidewalls? I thought of something else to ask while outside, but I forgot it already.

5. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I thought I saw somewhere that a 1" piece of pine was the right thickness for the sideboard. 1/2" plywood would be much easier for me for sure.

I am going through some old post and found this one http://www.popupportal.com/threads/1990-palomino-txl-roof-replacement.40255/

and
    Once I can decide on a cheap construction, I'll have to figure out how to make the cut.

6. Michael Conner

Michael Conner New Member

Jul 23, 2017
    I have a 2000 8 ft Dutchman 801. I used 1x12 pine boards that I skinned with white aluninal flashing, I I think it looks great and was way easier than trying to get the original skin off of the old boards

7. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Welcome to the portal! I'd love to see a pics of rebuilding your sideboards.

Like you, I don't plan on reusing whatever it is that's on my camper. I thought it was aluminum, but now I think it's fiberglass. I looked at the 24" or 36" white aluminum coil at HD online for the sidewalls and it wasn't cheap. I plan to use the unpainted 12" flashing for the sideboards. But my concern is me scratching the paint off while I struggle to put it all together. And believe me, it will get scratched.

But a couple questions though. Did you score the flashing to have cut lines and did you use metal snips? How did you glue the flashing to the plywood?

I have metal snips somewhere around here. I used them to cut the hardware cloth for my chicken house and it was hard for me to do. There are electric and pneumatic metal shears, and also an attachment for a drill, but I don't know how easy they would be to use.

8. Michael Conner

Michael Conner New Member

Jul 23, 2017
    I used the old sideboard to draw around and then I cut the metal with tin snips. I used some construction adhesive to glue it on the board, then with the bottom rail and the top rail that overlaps the roof it held it in place. I think it looks good. I didn't do the bottom sides, just the boards on the top itself.

Don't have any pics of doing it though just a few after pics that I can't seem to find lol

Mamie likes this.
  9. Bfox

Bfox New Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Just a note - I had 12’ pine boards planed down to 1/2” (then had to go back and get a 14’ one done because it wasn’t long enough). Then, I bought 12” coil metal to contact cement on the inside and out. I was going to trace the old panel onto the new. Then, on Friday I called forest river because I couldn’t find the rubber seal for the roof and asked about the material used in the sideboards. She said - we can send you the replacement panels too (they were like $35 each plus shipping, way less then I spent on the boards and cement already) so I ordered them and awaiting shipping. Lesson learned - call your manufacturer first.

10. Bfox

Bfox New Member

Mar 18, 2018
    I’ll also add I ruined the fiberglass roof scraping off the plywood on the front and the back, going to try and find out how to glue EPDM or similar over the fiberglass.

11. omahadlr

omahadlr Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Fairview Heights, IL.
    I bought 14' boards from Menards. Lowe's and Home Depot didn't have that length. I got 1"x6" boards which are actually 3/4"x5 1/5".

Attached Files:

12. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I don't know what the sideboard on the passenger side looks like, but I don't think I can make any sort of template from the driver's side one, it is rotten and split. I am going to tackle the sideboards and see how that turns out, but I'd like to do the sidewalls too.

I have used liquid nails or similar to glue hardboard on the top of my tablesaw table that I built and it turned out really good.

I think I take back everything I just said. How much was shipping? Mine is a Forest River too. You don't have it in your signature. What model is yours?

We don't have a Menards here and from what I've seen online, it's cheaper.

13. Bfox

Bfox New Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Not sure about shipping yet - but even if it’s $150 it’s worth it. They are going to call me with a shipping cost when it’s crated. I have a 2005 Flagstaff 226D. Call:

KATHY SWOPE
    ROCKWOOD and FLAGSTAFF TENT CAMPER PARTS
    KSWOPE@FORESTRIVERINC.COM
    PHONE # 574-642-8927

14. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Thanks for the info. I'm anxious to see what shipping will be.