Single male camper, camping alone?

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by Rkcampers, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Myles

Myles New Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Marshall Texas
    I'm a people person! Never meet a stranger, although some I meet are strange! Just strike up a polite conversation, and if they will talk, let em! You just might learn something, and everyone likes to feel that they are the center of attention!

2. Cndngrl

Cndngrl New Member

May 22, 2017
    I don't think it's a western state thing. I live in Ontario, and DH worked and lived out of town for almost 6 years. Sometimes I camped with the kids, sometimes with friends, and sometimes I just went on my own. I've met tons of single campers. And not once did I think any of them were creepy or weird.

3. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    A friend of mine's husband worked out the country and when he came home he went on a lot of motorcycle trips alone camping. Super nice guy and I don't find him creepy at all.
    If I ever get my camper up and going, I'll be making trips alone and along the way, setting up camp. I don't like to travel because I don't like hotels. The thought of being considered creepy never crossed my mind, but I think there probably is a difference between male/female - I or other females don't pose a threat. The suggestion of setting up 2 chairs is something I will remember. All that aside, if a man came up to me in a campground, I would probably feel threatened just like I am if they come to my door and try to be friendly. I think a taser is a good thing to have and now that I think about it, I need to get one to go to the door.

4. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    My wife is almost always with me when camping, but I do go on a couple of solo trips a year. I have not felt that anyone was creeped out by my presence, but as someone else stated, that's not my problem anyway. I don't generally approach people, but I don't discourage contact either. If someone walks by and comments or makes eye contact, or I run into someone on a trail, I will wave or greet them with a 'good morning'. This has resulted in friendly exchanges and interesting conversations. About the only concession I make to irrational fears is that I position my lawn chair so that I don't appear to be staring into someones campsite.

Mamie likes this.
  5. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Wow an old thread; @1380ken I caught the humor, nicely done.

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

The original poster hasn't been back since the day they dropped the video here. Methinks this was a sly ploy to get more clicks on their YouTube channel.

Haybale, Fbird and BelchFire like this.
  7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Happens all the time but that didn't stop us from getting some use out of it did it?

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Well, if "use" means we gave him a lot of answers that he never bothered to come back and read, then I guess so :)

PointyCamper likes this.
  9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    By "use" I mean that a lot of useful information was exchanged among us regardless of whether the OP read them or not.

XKPin likes this.
  10. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Seems an odd question. Maybe it depends on where you camp. Out "west", no.
    id say behavior and actions are what could say "creepy". But camping alone? NO

11. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Agreed.

Camping alone, not creepy.

Posting a video and bringing up the topic of whether or not it is creepy? Let's just say that if you have to ask, there's a good probability that there is more to the story, and in fact, creepiness is occuring.

A solo camper is just that, a solo camper. A creep is a creep whether he's camping solo or hanging out at the roller rink.

Orchid and Fbird like this.
  12. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

May 29, 2013
    There's nothing wrong with camping solo. The insinuation that it's creepy is just wrong. Everyone needs some quiet time. Especially those of us whose family specialize in "combat style talking" where the people speaking loudest think they "win" the conversation.
    We put our best face on to go to work, we put our family man mask on at home for the rug rats and the neighbors that come over for card games... the extra heavy duty 220v mask on for the in-laws...
    The relief of having a stack of old Popular Mechanics Mags to read (You know, the kind where you don't have to be a tech-head to build a project or two...) and an old shortwave radio to tune into radio stations across the globe is a gift from God by the time spring breaks.
    Lord knows how much I love my family, but the ability to leave the same lunatics at home and split for a weekend with a case of Schlitz is not asking for much and keeps me happy and sane.

jnc and MattF350 like this.
  13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    It is more of a percentage are creepy. People can be creepy regardless of their number. You can have creepy families, creepy groups. It is just that people who do things solo might be solo because they are creepy and have no friends. Doesn't mean that all solo people are creepy.

14. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    I think it depends on how you are camping. Most of my single camping events usually include a motorcycle and a tent. I'll pack the bike and head out for a week not really knowing where I'll end up. When people see it's just me and that my mode of transport is a motorcycle with limited seating it opens up some interesting conversations. On the other hand if I were to show up single with my popup some might think it is overkill for a single person and start to wonder.

15. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    So, if a person prefers not to have friends and camps solo they are creepy? Judgmental much?

16. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    No but they have a high probability of being creepy.

17. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This response had me cracking up!

I have to admit that this angle didn't occur to me to begin with. Since this guy never bothered to return to read any responses, I'm guessing people are correct in assuming he just wanted YouTube views. Not sure if he is a creeper or just an opportunist. Either way, upon thinking about it, it really is odd that someone would consider themselves creepy enough to make a video asking about.

I still stand by the opinion that camping alone is not an issue. I see solo campers all the time and never thought they were creepy based on that. I have ran across people that I consider creepy, due to vibes, regardless of who they were camping with.

18. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I can understand that statement as it applies to MA. Having lived in NY for a half year, and visiting MA a few times, the mindset in that area is totally different than in any of the other states I have ever lived in. The people there tend to try and stick their noses into the lives of strangers.

However, it is certainly not something I would say about people who camp alone out here in the west; whether they have friends or not. That is their decision and I'm sure they have the same feelings as I do on the subject. And I cannot print that here.

And to be truthful, I find it very insulting for anyone to think that just cause a person does not want to make friends with every moron who dances through a campground, or down the street, a store, etc., makes that person creepy. And I guess your replies about how people can or cannot be creepy to you fortifies my position.
    So you have a good day, I certainly will.

Again, the ignore button come into play.

jnc likes this.
  19. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

May 29, 2013
    f5moab: "And to be truthful, I find it very insulting for anyone to think that just cause a person does not want to make friends with every moron who dances through a campground" lol...
    I play the cantankerous angle to the max when I solo, just to keep the unsolicited "camping buddies" off balance. Sometimes I have to laugh because I play it so well, I start to crack up.
    A couple years back I set up next to a family from Pennsylvania traveling the country on vacation. Within minutes they wanted to introduce themselves and their kids, their grandkids...
    "Hi there, I'm Josh and this is my wife Judy, we're just in from Pennsylvania... Where do you hail from?"

I cringed, put my best Anacin face on and went straight for the gold: images (1).jpg
    "I'm Fred from Happy Valley Indiana, I have one annoying neighbor 2 miles down the street and the reason my wife isn't here with me is because she's staying with Bob... my neighbor. I come here to get peace and quiet to stave off my migraines. Have a nice weekend." The look on their face was priceless, didn't hear a peep out of them all weekend. I went in the trailer and never laughed so hard in my life. LOL

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    jnc likes this.
  20. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Yeah, this is a nightmare scenario for me. I don't bother our camping neighbors and I'm not there to make new friends. I got jumped all over, by a facebook group that I've since been kicked out of [LOL], for having this attitude. My phone was blowing up with non-stop replies to my comment on a post about this. I finally had to delete the comment. All I could think of was that I was glad I never ran into any of these looking to make "camping friends."

I will watch out for my camping neighbors, but don't want to be buddies with them. The only time I remember ever approaching neighbors is to let them know there was a pygmy rattlesnake under their trailer.