Single male camper, camping alone?

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by Rkcampers, Mar 25, 2017.

1. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

You do need to be a peace with yourself to spend much time alone in the woods. I myself have had some great times alone camping in the mountains same as my Dad who would go alone for 2 weeks sitting by a stream reading books in peace until one of us shows up on a weekend:D

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I wish I was this person. Unfortunately, life circumstances have changed me into an anxiety ridden person, who must work up courage to interact with strangers. I hope to one day be less uncomfortable about people I don't know, I really do. I don't like the wall I have around me.

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I know where your coming from Orchid. I have a basic distrust of the human race. That being said I am a BIG BEAR and carry myself well with an easy smile. I think talking is easy and trusting is a different game. You can talk to people without telling them anything. If you could hear what I am thinking when talking to Strange People you would be ROTF.

BelchFire, MattF350 and Orchid like this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Spending 22 1/5 in the Navy, I have learned to tune people out as you are never alone on board ship. However I have backpacked and canoe /camped solo for several (sometimes weeks) alone
    and never missed the companionship of others. Generally I like most people and get along with most people I have found that most people are friendly sometimes even helpful, just as I have assisted others. I do feel everyone has their own space and like to keep it that way , including me and if meeting someone I get the feeling that they need their space, I usually leave them alone.

5. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    Thought I would share what happened to me.
    Don't hunt anymore so I decided that my hunting clothes would be good for camping.
    People avoided me like the plague.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2018
    jnc likes this.
  6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing or what. I grew up in a tiny town in Iowa. In the mid 90's, they created a new park near the house where I grew up in. It had a nice playground, plenty of trees, lawn, etc. Then they installed benches, the kind permanently cemented in the ground. They put them on the perimeter of the park, facing out toward the street. Because that's what people in that town like to do... watch other people, and there are more people driving by than in the park.

I did not inherit this tendency... I like my privacy and don't make a point of spying on my neighbors, and have no reason to believe they watch us. But it was unnerving when I used to go back 'home' to Mom's place. She lived right on the main road, with a large window into the living room. We'd be playing board games or something. Then the next day I'd run into someone we knew, and they would say "oh we drove by and saw you all playing games, what were you doing?" Just seemed very intrusive.

Orchid likes this.
  7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity... how did you know people were avoiding you? Many of us don't go out of our way to be social while camping... beyond a simple "hello" if I run into you walking in/out of the restroom building or something.

8. Dale1234

Dale1234 New Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Virginia
    I Do the same creepy or not I Love it

9. Spaceweaseal

Spaceweaseal Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Tx
    Not creepy at all.
    I am married with to kids so going alone sometimes is my way to recharge my sanity.
    Its cheaper than therapy. :)

jnc and myride like this.
  10. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    I think its the mod of camping too.
    when i am tenting alone no one thinks its creepy.
    If i am tenting on a motorcycle i wish people leave me alone as they of course have to tell me that their wife or mom took the motorcycle away stories , how some guy died on one and hence by not riding they are going to live for ever, what are all the weird gadgets on your motorcycle people and last but not the least one women who asked me as i was brown if i did know bin laden in troy ,ny in 2004. that was one creepy question.