Sink drain hose leak

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by next1051, May 10, 2017.

1. next1051

next1051 New Member

Aug 15, 2012
    I couldn't find a plumbing section so I hope this is in the right place. After a recent camping trip we found that our sink drain hose had a cut in it from the hose clamp that secures it to the pipe that goes to the drain outside. I went to a local RV dealer and bought a piece of hose the same size and type. I connected everything the same as it was before but it still has a tiny leak. I have taken it all apart many times, even the drain under the sink and can't figure out where or why it's leaking. Any insight would be great!!
    The pop-up is a 2014 Rockwood Freedom 1910. The sink is the kind that flips up to use and down to close up the trailer.

2. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

Feb 9, 2013
    Sisters, OR
    I used plumbers tape to stop the little leak when I replaced my flex hose.

3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Just replaced mine this past weekend, what a PITA no room. Mine has 2 clamps on each end where hose connects to fittings, I used a socket to tighten up due to no room to use nut driver to get it tight. Used plumbers putty to re-set the drain to sink, it had a thin paper washer and was not comfortable using that again. Good luck!!

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I replaced the whole plumbing works in my previous popup and solved the leaking problem.

5. next1051

next1051 New Member

Aug 15, 2012
    It is a PITA!! The sink drain is pvc and the p trap after the drain hose is pvc, so I put some pvc cement around the connections that are pvc. I haven't had a chance to check it yet since I left it to dry. If it still leaks, I'll replace the sink drain and p trap going to the outside of the trailer.

6. PammyM

PammyM Member

Aug 30, 2017
    I'm having the same issue with the sink drain leaking where it exits the PUP. Just bought our first PuP - a 2013 Rockwood 1940 LTD. Tightened down the clamps and the big leak is now just a slow drip, but enough that I kept the water shut off this weekend on our first trip in the PUP. Did the PVC cement fix the leak? My cousin recommended plumbers tape and I was wondering which would be better.

7. Halford

fix it completely is the best method. Plumbers tape is only temporary for the weekend until you get home from camping and fix it.

8. PammyM

PammyM Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Ok, but exactly how do I fix it completely ? I was able to identify where the leak is coming from (where the drain hose exits the PUP), and I don't see any holes or cracks in the tubing, and tightening the clamps didn't fix it. Do I just need to replace the whole hose from the drain ?

9. Halford

seal? pipes do get old and so do seals. replace where it leaks. Should solve all but I would replace the hose at the same time to get it over with and not have to think about it for years to come.

10. PammyM

PammyM Member

Aug 30, 2017
    I found the leak today. Found a micro crack where the red arrow is in this pic. The two parts are cemented together so I need to replace the whole thing. I don't see it listed on the parts list that came with my popup. Any idea where I can find an identical replacement ? I went to a local Campers World today and they didn't have any in stock. No parts person working today so no one could order it for me. I need to replace both sections of the black PVC. I stopped by Home Depot and didn't expect thy would have what I needed and they didn't. Thanks ! Pam

Attached Files:

11. Halford

wha? Home depot doesn't have one?

12. PammyM

PammyM Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Not with the threaded part long enough to go through the wall of the camper with enough room on both sides to screw the pieces that hold it in place. Campers Inn is going to order one for me from Forest River for $20ish, which will include all of the pieces from the sink drain to the outside of the popup.

JPBar likes this.
  13. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    PVC is white. ABS is black. The popularity of the two is regional. PVC is popular in the mid south, and abs is typically only found in mobile homes. Out west they love abs.
    You can use either one. However, they do not use the same cement.

14. Halford

good to know, crackerJack. yea i see the difference in choice of pipes in Alabama and California.