Sneaky Dealer got me on this one

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by ColoradoKid, Aug 31, 2017.

1. ColoradoKid

ColoradoKid New Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Colorado
    I just bought my 1st popup a couple weeks ago. After an exhaustive search on CraigsList, which only turned up several disappointing long drives to look at junk, we stumbled into a used rv lot.
    We didn't think much about it until we got home, popped the thing up, and raised the galley to discover that where there is supposed to be a fridge, or at the least, an icebox, there was nothing. I couldn't reckon that I hadn't noticed the big empty space when we were looking at it on the dealer lot, until we both suddenly remembered that the salesman seemed eager to be the first one inside the camper, and the first thing he did was pull the galley down in front of the lower galley saying "....and this works like this", and left it in the down position.
    Don't get me wrong, this oversight was totally my fault, I should have looked at it. But it sure go's a long way in affirming the bad reputation of used 'anything' salesmen, and the adage: "Buyer Beware".
    On the bright side, I found that the icebox in my 1977 Dodge conversion van (now a work van)
    fit perfectly into the space on the popup = nice.

On the side: This dealer only did 2 of the 6 things he said he was going to do for my $300.00 "Dealer Prep Fee", and the 2 things he did do I wish he left for me to do. Said he would paint the tongue...he did, but he got black over-spray all over the propane cover. Said he would repair the canvas-to-door seal on one side, he did, with tape. If you want something done right, do it yourself.
    No worries, I still got a great deal....

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    That is sneaky.

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    That's not sneaky... that's downright sh***y! If I ran my business like that, I'd get run out of town.

4. TRR

TRR Active Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Alabama USA
    [​IMG]

5. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    I guess that is the big make or break point.
    It is still frustrating being taken for a ride. No one likes to be conned, and I am sure the dealer you got it from doesn't either.
    Anyway he is the loser as you will now tell everyone you come in contact with, who it was and what they did to you. Karma comes in many ways!
    Enjoy your new purchase and have fun fixing and moding, in between your camping.

TensSandShoes and neighbormike like this.
  6. davekkk

davekkk Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Frustrating indeed, hard to trust dealers. Sounds like you got a plan though, happy camping!

7. Caper

Caper New Member

Jul 31, 2017
    we were in a similar boat minus the shady dealer.
    everything we looked at was just over priced garbage ( and that's being polite).
    for 2 months we followed add after add and honestly put 1000's of kilometers on our mini van just looking at junk, it was very disappointing.
    Finally my fiancé found a nice pup at a dealer 5 hours away. so I asked her to get pictures of everything before we drove out. The dealer sent us over 40 pictures of everything we asked for. Then we drove out to view it and were very please. I did my typical bargaining and we got a good deal.

sorry about the shady dealer you had to deal with.

cheers

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Sneaky indeed. I had one dealer advertise a camper. Online he took the pictures in a way it didn't show problems. Told me it was in great shape but did need a little TLC. For the price I figured a little TLC was understood. I get there and find a huge gaping hole in the canvas and the bunk end not able to slide out fully and when I asked him how the water system worked he was at least honest and said the shower leaks a bit. I got a little chatty and he came clean that you couldn't turn the water on or it would flood the interior. I left disappointed yet again. It needed a lot of TLC. I actually found a tiny dealer selling a used camper. Really good people and very responsive. The way I feel dealers should be.

9. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    If I were buying a camper, I would have checked the fridge to see if works along with the rest of my inspection.

10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I'm confused... doesn't pulling down the galley block at least half of the pup's walkway? How could you have inspected it like this?

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    I don't like the ice boxes. If you camp with power buy a cheap dorm fridge at Walmart.

12. ColoradoKid

ColoradoKid New Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Colorado
    The galley on the Yukon is driver-side right up to the edge of the front bunk, so not much to really look at there, and my priority was inspecting the canvas and screens more than anything else.....because of the many I was told "the canvas and screens are perfect" but when we showed up I found several holes/rips/tears.etc...I tell ya', I wanted to kick one guy in the teeth so he would never lie like that to anybody again...we drove 3 hours each way to look at that one.

I prefer the icebox myself....just one less thing to go wrong. Our main goal was just getting up off the ground, I doubt we will ever even use the water system, and the inside stove will just be nice for that first pot of morning coffee.

13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

You would want 3-way Fridge in case you go boondocking, cooling fridge on way to campground or full hookup.

xxxapache likes this.
  14. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit New Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    I agree completely. Picked up a mini fridge from walyworld for $60 during the back to school sales. If you don't go boondocking it's a great idea.

15. ColoradoKid

ColoradoKid New Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Colorado
    I got the icebox all cleaned up and installed yesterday, looks real nice. I had to jimmy the lock on the outside access panel, as I did not get any keys for any of the access panels. I watched a couple YouTube videos on how to jimmy a lock with a couple paper clips, and by golly, I got it.

I see no abandoned propane line, so I think it must have originally been an icebox in there, but then, there was no hole for the drain hose either...
    just these two wires, that have been cut, coming into the 'fridge cavity' from the heater side of the lower galley. It is what it is.

TensSandShoes likes this.
  16. TensSandShoes

TensSandShoes New Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Staunton Illinois
    It's sounds like you got it set up a way that works good for you. Glad that you had a icebox that worked for the space! That's awesome. I always say live and learn. You said that you got a good deal, then no harm no foul. You made good out of a crappy situaton. Hope you make many great memories in it!