So now, how do I identify the bulb?

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by Dave Brick, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Nov 29, 2010
    The incandescent bulb on the outside of the PUP is only marked "12V15W", no 1156 or any other designation. How do I figure out the replacement size?

2012 coachmen clipper 108 sport.

2. JT2

JT2 Member

May 20, 2008
    You take the bulb to NAPA or Advance Auto, place it on the counter and ask for "one of these." Make sure the wattage matches.

3. Dave Brick

Nov 29, 2010
    Thanks. I ended up driving to Advance and found out that 1156 and 1141 (which my manual says is the correct bulb) both fit. I would prefer to buy from the brick and mortar store in my neighborhood, but they wanted $20 for 2 bulbs, and I can get 10 bulbs for $17 on Amazon.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Did you consider the opportunity to switch to LED?

5. Westcoast

Westcoast New Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Go LED [{:)]

6. Dave Brick

Nov 29, 2010
    Oh. I guess I should have explained better. I am replacing the incandescents with LEDs. But when I pulled out the bulb, there were no numbers other than voltage/wattage. I ordered new LEDs today.

I guess I was wondering though, how does the guy at NAPA know? I appreciated the pithy answer, but does the NAPA guy just know because of familiarity, or does he just eye it up, or what?

7. tombiasi

The wattage and base type identifies the bulb.
    The reason people suggested switching to LEDs is because you said you wanted bulbs.

Your quote:
    "I would prefer to buy from the brick and mortar store in my neighborhood, but they wanted $20 for 2 bulbs, and I can get 10 bulbs for $17 on Amazon."

8. Dave Brick

Nov 29, 2010
    Yeah, you are right, of course. Sorry for my imprecise speech.

9. tombiasi

Your speech was precise enough.