So, what did you do for you camper this month? October 2016

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Oct 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Added a second battery to the camper.

And yes, the R2 units are workout just fine. [LOL]

2. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    we took her out for a last camping trip over the columbus weekend - then got her cleaned and winterized - not quite ready to put completely to bed as she as an appointment with the dealer to fix the panel on the side of the fridge.

overall, very pleased with our first year in the hybrid. now to start planning the 2017 camping season!

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hitched it up and took it to the dealer to have the leak(s) discovered last week repaired. I mentioned to the service writer that other Retro owners had reported issues with the wheel wells leaking, as well as resultant floor rot. He seemed to be familiar with it. He took lots of pictures on his tablet, both outside, and inside, particularly where I had the water appear. It is scheduled to be returned to us in a week, which will give me a week to mop and restock for the next trip.
    This was the first time I've hitched it up solo at home since we bought the Colorado. I knew it was much easier for me to see to line it up than with the 4Runner, between sight lines and back-up camera, since I've done it several times at campgrounds. My big issue at home is that the gutter is right under the driver's door when it's all lined up - so the step (thankfully we added the step!) is at the top of my knee, that means a big drop to get out and hefty step back in.
    The new water pump arrived today, though that installation may be an off-season job. I think my husband plans to do smaller fixes and the fresh water tank drain mod before the next trip.

4. TheEvilKaren

TheEvilKaren "That's what I do; I drink and I know things."

Jan 2, 2015
    Cheating a little, since some of this was in late September shortly before or while we were on vacation. I ordered PUGs, and we used the one on the bunk end in which we sleep. It never rained, of course, but nights were chilly without a heater at 8400 feet in Colorado, and I think the PUG helped. I had also ordered a 50' roll of Reflectix before vacation, which DH cut in half since we were only going to cut the pieces for one bunk end. That really helped keep us warm, too.

It's now back at storage, but since we don't use the water tank, there isn't much winterization to be done. It's remotely possible that we might be able to squeeze in one short trip before winter sets in, so it's good to keep it available!

5. luckycamper

luckycamper New Member

Oct 2, 2016
    The temps in Mississippi are still in the 80s/50s so we have several more trips planned this year. We put on new tires, added a memory foam mattress topper and some solar LED lights for the awning, and picked up a free NIB awning strap down kit from a neighbor. I also sprayed down the entire camper with bug spray to try to keep the hidden critters at bay. Next on the list to replace some loose latches/screws at the door.

6. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The TT is in the shop to repair the leaks discovered after driving through rain. The main TV is in the shop to follow up on the replacement valve cover assembly, which was thought to be the fix for the oil usage problem. (When we had the oil changed on our trip, it barely registered on the dipstick, so maybe it's not fixed.)
    So, taking advantage of the lack of inhabitants of the driveway, my husband is patching the concrete, in the places where it has been crumbling. Not exactly for the TT, but it is the parking space for it.
    I think water dripping off of the TT, and the pup before it, when we do get snow and ice, has been one of the contributors to the crumbling, especially with freeze/thaw cycles in the winter. Even when I cleaned snow off of the pup, we got some freezing; no way to sweep off the TT if we get snow. One of the sections that is crumbling the worst is the main drip spot from the TT.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Sadly [:(] we had to winterize the trailer and put it too bed for the winter [sf] .. Soon the planning and reserving will start for next year...

8. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @Snow-
    We'll winterize after our last trip next month - hoping we don't encounter too much cold in the meantime. If necessary, we'll drain the lines at camp.
    We've already begun to toss around ideas for next year, allocating vacation time and deciding campgrounds and the like. We know we want to the July Rally in Colorado, and have plans to meet up with friends for the eclipse in August. That is a good excuse to get back to the Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs, and for DH to backpack in the Wind River Range.
    We can make reservations next month if we want to do a Memorial Day week trip, and January for the Rally.

9. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Sadly, I winterized our camper and dropped it off at our indoor storage spot until April . Non-camping season always makes me grumpy.

10. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Oct 9, 2015
    I built a new ice chest for mine got a crack fixed on back panel and ordered a water pump so that I can more easily fill the fresh water tank!

11. cyclop5

cyclop5 Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Emptied her out, and got her ready for the winter nap. Always a sad day.. [:(]

12. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm actually ready to be home for while, catch up on projects here, plan next year's trips, and work on small camper mods and things. My husbands says he bets I'll still be getting antsy before New Year's. Counting my trip east, which was visiting rather than hiking and sight-seeing, I'll have something over 60 days in the TT this year, once we're home from Thanksgiving. We started the season in March, but didn't go out again until the end of April, when I used it to visit friends in AZ. No camping at all in August, otherwise we have had a camping trip about once a month, from long weekends to my 18-day stint Sept/Oct. Three have been solo trips for me; my husband joined me for a week at his mom's but I did the cross-country driving alone.
    I've caught up on all the laundry, camper and home, but can't repack the bedding, towels, and throw rugs into the TT until we get it back form the shop. Same with all the cookware and collapsible bowls, which I put through the dishwasher after they got wet from leak under the sink.

The "restock" list for next season is already on the refrigerator, as we work through food and other supplies so that we start fresh.

13. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    Bought and installed new battery. Bought a cover.and let oldest and friends sleep in it for a week while visiting.

14. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Boston
    We took our last trip on Columbus Day weekend, endured 20-30 mph winds with gusts to 45 and heavy rain. All went well good reminder of why I tie the awning and canopy.
    Un packed her of anything that will freeze or attract critters, vacuumed, scrubbed and winterized her. She will be moved to a garage this week to avoid the New England winter weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    Cleaned it out, closed 'er up, put the pink stuff in.
    I'm not ruling out a winter trip, but we'll do it without running water.

16. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    With November quickly approaching, we decided that last weekend would be our last trip until spring. So we cleaned, packed up the stuff we don't like to leave in the Pup in the winter added a three or four Fresh Cabs and covered it up for it's long winter nap.

17. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

That's not a camper, that's a vacation home! [:D]

I told DH that our PUP is our retirement home. It just goes where we want it to. It's always nice to have your own place to stay, even when you are in the area for another reason. Sort of a private motel on wheels.

Ours won't be completely to that point until after the new year, when we build a hard walled enclosure for our shower, and re-vamp the propane system. Right now, I would be too concerned about water escaping the shower, to use it. It seems like a couple drops of water are enough to lead to mass destruction in campers. Not going to take that chance.

As for what I did for my camper recently:

* FINALLY finished the dinette cushions covers and have it all put back together.
    * Ordered three LED fixtures, two overhead and a porch light, that will go in this weekend.
    * Finished all window curtains, bunk end curtains, and only one side of valance - then we are 100% new fabric!
    * Purchased a wheel dock for the little hitch wheel to rest in.
    * Started making king bed divider/storage unit.
    * Bought another set of silverware to match the first set that wasn't enough ($3/12 piece Family Dollar)

18. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @Orchid: when we needed to move on from the popup, we decided to buy a TT that would last us for many years. I named the Retro "Little Red" in honor of the little red cabin in the woods we had until I was in my 20s. This is my equivalent to that cabin - but the "woods" change - they may be desert, mountains, my MIL's side yard, or some variation on theme.
    We used the pups as a hotel, but the TT makes it easier, especially for overnight stops. With both pups, we had to unhook even for overnight, not difficult, but a couple more steps when it is just a stop.
    The TT has more amenities than our cabin had, but fewer than some of the pups and HTTs have. Good compromise for us, so we can continue to camp.

We will never use the shower, short of real desperation. For a couple of reasons, I ended up not using the one in my MIL's house. However, with a water heater and a sink that I can rinse my head in, I can take good basin baths. I can't quite get my head under the faucet, but we've talked about changing the faucet over the winter, in favor of one that has handles rather than knobs. If we do that, it may be a tad taller.
    One of the FB Retro owners added a second shower curtain to the bathroom, so the toilet is covered, but it is still just too tiny to be of much use. Dealing with the wet floor, even using a squeegee, is annoying, though I've done it when I've washed my hair using the shower head. I don't want to cope with the rest of the bathroom being wet. (Our fresh and gray water capacities don't lend themselves to regular showering, anyway.)

We're still waiting to pick up the TT from the shop. It won't take that long to pack it for my trip next week, but I prefer not to rush - that's when I make mistakes, or forget something.

I need to make an actual list of the mods we plan for the off-season, right now we're working with mental lists - and I'm not sure things have made it onto both my husband's and my lists.
    So far, on my list:
    Upgraded water pump
    New latch on the pantry door (it can pop open when we hit a bumpy stretch of road)
    Refinement of the rod set-up to keep the drawer stack shut. We need a better way to secure the rod against the cabinet, the drawers still open, but not as far.
    Repair the bed platform supports. They have warped, not uncommon in our climate, so that there's a good 1/2" gap under the platform in a couple of places.
    Add a strap handle to the bed platform, to make it easier to lift it up to access the storage underneath.

19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I agree that TT is much easier for lots of travel and set up. :) And better than a stationary cabin by a long shot!

I would only use our shower if we had full hook-ups, to sewer as well. Not anything I would ever consider in self - contained mode.

The shower is in our PUP is pretty big, though. The fact that the toilet area is part of the whole "shoilet" helps. Our shower hose doesn't have a mount, even on the one hard wall. It's just a long hose that you have to hold with one hand. Once we get all hard walls made, we will put up a mount for it.

20. Merlin14

Merlin14 Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Overnighted the pup, dog, and me at Sam Houston National Forest. Tested led awning mod, gallon water jug and battery powered headlamp, and discarded lawn chair/plywood mods for table. All were great. So was the weather.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.