So, what did you do for your camper, April 2016

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @sleach We've had some LP tanks where the paint powdered, and others where it has not. I assume the quality or weather stability of the pain varies from brand to brand.

2. SLOTerp

SLOTerp Member

May 25, 2015
    Ashburn, VA
    Replaced brown curtains with these light blue ones. I cut and hemmed the material and DW sewed it onto the old curtains. We used heat/bond tape for the side with the hardware (there was no sewing through that thick plastic and the clips get in the way).

Next project: Re-cover the back cushions. We're leaving the privacy curtains and the bottom cushions brown.

Attached Files:

3. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Re sealed the roof in a couple places tonight and almost finished my bike rack fabrication. It still needs some tweaks. Camping this weekend. FINALLY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DiscoB75

DiscoB75 Guest

Hung curtain rods and removed the Coleman clips from the tracks (let me know if anybody wants them).
    Built a collapsible counter top to sit on top of the bottom half of the galley since removing the top half.
    Brought the cushions and curtains out of storage and installed.
    Capped off propane hoses and water hoses.
    Redesigning the tension rod shelving for more stability and easier setup without the stress on the roof.

I'm busting my butt to get it ready for this weekend. I'm trying to finish up the inside tonight and put it down because rain is in the forecast Thursday and Friday. That way, I can work on the exterior in the rain.

5. dougfam

dougfam Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Our camper just turned 2, and in those 2 years we put nearly 14k miles on it. So we put some new tires on it.

6. Winchested

Winchested Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Washed the sunbrella exterior on our 02 Mesa today. 14 years worth of grime washed off. Need to order some 303 from Costco.ca now. Buying a gallon of gloss black tremclad morrow to paint the spotted rusty frame and home made bike rack. If it doesn't rain tomorrow I need to repack the roadside bearing and change out the wheels and tires check the brakes.

7. steve7-4

steve7-4 'I'd rather be camping'

Aug 26, 2014
    Northeast Illinois
    I finally removed both tires with spare and had new (Grade D) tires mounted on the rims. Now I can to with less worry about speed and heat build-up when I head downstate for the Illinois Spring Rally. Yahoo!!!!

8. Aunt Ness

Aunt Ness Member

May 13, 2012
    Hitched it up and moved it around a bit to put it on the blocks to level it so I can get it ready for a spring trip. Opened it slightly to check for signs of critters...nothing! Hoping to pop up all the way to put mattresses and curtains back in.

9. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Boston
    Checked on it I the garage where it is stored. Smells good inside still. Looked quick no signs inside the door or trunk of intruders. But I suspect there were a fees opine around as I found what I think might be mouse droppings on the roof and under the cover. Plan to pull it out in the next week or so to open it up and thoroughly inspect.
    Hopefully it is just my overactive imagination

Me the missus and three hooligans!
    2014 Rockwood Premier 2317g
    2012 Ford F150 super crew ecoboost
    2011 Honda Pilot

10. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    Installed 2 new hard wired LED overhead lights inside. One to replace the existing incandescent fixture and the other a new install in the front of the pup. Hoping to finish off the 12V system re-do this weekend and then start on the gas and water systems.

11. grizzled53

grizzled53 New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    I swapped out the Fairview GR 9959 2 stage lp gas regulator. The furnace was refusing to ignite. The suburban furnace expert at the local CW advised me that regulator might be bad although the camper is a 2014 model. I read up about Yellow PTFE thread tape on the various forums, carefully applied that to the threads, reconnected and bubble tested for leaks with soapy water. We opened the PUp Saturday morning and the furnace lit on the 1st click. Success! I also lubricated the squeaky leaf springs with Liquifix spray lubricant and jumped up and down on the bumper. Have not road tested for squeaks yet. We filled up the water tank to get ready for the 1st big spring trip.

12. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We inspected and tightened all the screws along the sides, at bottom of the siding. Inspected the a/c to make sure it can drain. Some Retro owners have reported that the drainage from the wall a/c is blocked by caulking or framing. I've never seen condensation drip down the side of the TT, we don't use the a/c very much, but want to make sure it can drain when necessary.
    Filled the fresh water tank - I think I'll have city water for my trip this week, but this will let me use the system on the road, and if I stop overnight on the way to AZ. (I'll get a late start due to an appointment, and will have about 9 hours on the road.)
    Packed the 'fridge and other supplies. All ready to hook the TT up tonight so I can make a quicker get-away tomorrow morning.

13. backon2

backon2 New Member

Mar 16, 2014
    [​IMG]

New chrome wheels and tires, added diamond plate stone guard, new sink and faucet, and made a drain vent for fast flowing grey water. Thanks for all the inspiration and helpful posts!

14. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Active Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Erie, PA
    We had a busy day today. I modified the grey water outlet on the pup so I can have an easier hook up at a full hook up site. I can also keep tg e tote in back ofbthe camper instead if right under tge awning. Don't know why Rockwood couldn't have designed it with the kitchen on the road side instead.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Added a subpanel in the garage and added an RV plug. No more extension cord run across the deck when we have it plugged in.
    [​IMG]
    A little over kill... Absolutely. [emoji3]

Sent from my VS985 4G

15. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Camped in it this weekend. FINALLY. Had a great trip with some of the wife's co workers. Stormed last night pretty good and woke up with a massive headache early that hindered take down and breakfast. Still was happy to be out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. VTRailroadguy

VTRailroadguy Active Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Northwestern Vermont
    The weekend was nice, so I started cleaning the camper in and out. I washed the outside, treated all the vinyl to some Protect All and tried out some Bass Pro mildew cleaner on the inside bunk end ceilings (OMG, that stuff works great!). Once I pick up some scotch guard, I'm going to use that Bass Pro cleaner on the bunk end walls as well and it will look better than ever! I need to replace the failing Elixir power converter, de-winterize the water system and regrease the bearings, otherwise I think we're in good shape. I'm hoping our maiden voyage of 2016 will be May 20th to Lake Carmi.

17. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Pulled the camper out of winter hibernation on the 16th. Since getting it home I installed a Husky Brute 4500lb power tongue jack. Revamped my front storage compartment to better organize it.

Moved on to the inside... put a switch in the fridge to shut off the heat strip when we dry camp. That thing was a power sucker ! Wired up a volt meter and installed it into the side of the cabinet so I'll be able to see it through the screen door from outside. Hung the TV we bought back on black Friday for $125 in the bedroom. Hmmm....... what to do next?!! Can't wait to go camping !!

18. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Finally figured out what was wrong with my lift- the lift motor went bad- it seemed to work ok but thinking back it was really struggling to lift the roof, but just waiting on its replacement- then the work begins. Meanwhile it sits and is waiting to be taken on a trip I don't want the roof to come down on the fam in the middle of the night!

19. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Replaced the 4 pin connector.

20. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Took it on a 4-night trip, mostly as a place to stay, since I was visiting friends. I stopped overnight on the way, due to the high winds. I might have tried to push on if I wasn't towing, but they closed the road beyond where I stopped just after I stopped. (Zero visibility due to blowing dirt/sand.) I had thought the winds I towed in on my first solo with the TT were bad, but these were even worse - 50 mph, maybe a bit higher; mostly full on from the front. The new TT/TV combination did well, though the mpg sank to new lows for either TV (under 7 mpg).
    This was my first solo with the NTU TV. I found that I will need to either use the yellow ball on a wand or paint the front of the coupler for hitching up in some light situations. With the back-up camera on the TV, I could not quite gauge distances until I set a white hand wipe container on the front of the A-frame - bingo, next try was right on.
    I came back with a small list of tasks to do before the next trip - replace another failed LED bulb, change toilet paper holder (my shoulder wouldn't let me reach the stand we used last year, after the 4th or so time I knocked it over I decided to figure out a better method), lube the stabs.
    Another first for us with the TT was taking it to the actual dump station at the KOA this morning. We've always managed to stop in a full-service site on the last night out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.