So, what did you do for your camper, February 2016

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

Jun 22, 2012
    North Carolina
    gave it a good bath after sitting for 3 months, then headed out on Cabin Fever DOG (dutch oven group). 400 mile round trip and a great camping weekend with good friends, good food, and nice weather.

2. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Boston
    Hooked the battery up to the charger and requested a few CG guides from Maryland, outer banks and New York.

Letting her sleep while we play on the Ski slopes

3. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Active Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Erie, PA
    Took mine to the repair shop to have the roof sidewall replaced. Also having them check my dinnette slide and see why it's not opening and closing easy.

4. Ligonier80

Ligonier80 Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Had extra keys made for the locks (PO only had 1 ea for door and storage doors). Bought LED's to replace all the lights inside and out. Got BAL delivered today. :)

5. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Bought a new one [:D] it's getting packed away till winter is over, but by the time spring rolls around I will have plenty of mods planned out.

6. Ligonier80

Ligonier80 Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Got our memory foam mattress topper delivered today.

7. Mally

Mally Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Installed my battery disconnect switch!

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Some nice weather means I'm definitely in the mood for camping. I looked at the calendar and the first trip of the year is no longer several months or weeks away, but 5. Since I'm going to Tucson for most of the week (even nicer weather than home :)) and next weekend, that means I really have 4 weeks to get things ready for the year.
    If the weather cooperates, we'll install the Smart Tiles on the "kitchen" backsplash in 2 weeks. Given our schedules after the first trip, they need to be in at the start of the year.
    Tomorrow, my husband will read the tire information to me, I cannot read it on the TT (progressive lenses are a wonder, but there are moments...). Then I can research new tires, we'll be OK for one trip with these, maybe more, but we want to get them changed out. (7200 miles and they're well worn.)
    The nice thing is there aren't many mods that need to be done this year, and most of the rest I can do by myself. DH will need to do the roof treatment, and we plan to do a basic wash before having it detailed. This is a long term investment ($ and time) so we're taking care of it.

9. Winchested

Winchested Member

Jun 19, 2015
    New tires and wheels for the pup. New 6-7" drop tow bar for my lifted truck so the pup will be level this year.

Next is an adjustable fire grill. A kettle for the fire grill and a cast cooking grill for on top of the fire grill!

10. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    We put in a new metal/chrome faucet, replaced lost running light lenses, and replaced propane tank cover.

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We have a plan - assuming the weather cooperates with our timing. Uncover the TT in 2 weeks, install Smart Tiles, get the roof treatment and basic wash done. I can take my time to restock it, and schedule the detailing. Today will be the routine check on the inside, including Damp Rid pails.

[We're also beginning yard work. Since we lost quite a few plants over the last year or so - our front yard is native and xeric plants - due to age, extended drought, plus roof and stucco work, we have lots of new planting to do over the spring, and rebuilding grape trellis, etc. We're hoping the large mortar tub of cacti that had to be dug up for the stucco work survive replanting, not to mention all the ones that got stepped on, in spite of me flagging and otherwise marking them.]

12. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    Just camped 3 nights!!

13. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    Had planned to go up to the Springfield RV show over the weekend but after a sinus infection for the DW and a dead battery in my truck (didn't get out of the single digit temps over the weekend) we decided after getting a new battery and putting it in the truck to head up to Bass Pro shops in Bridgeport and browse the camping section. Ended up with a new folding rocking chair for the DW (she is short and her feet never touch the ground in the chairs we had) and also found a collapsible garbage bag holder for the campsite. In addition we picked up a new stove top percolator to replace the cheap one we had gotten from Walmart that never seemed to perk.

14. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Apr 15, 2007
    North Carolina
    Did a walk through, looking for surprises.....all was well.

15. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    Earlier this month: finally put it in the garage. It had been parked in the driveway while I was doing a timing chain replacement on my Civic that just hit 100k miles, amongst other services. The old chain looked great, but I was in there anyways and had the new part so I swapped it out. This service took me 3 weeks due to only having a few nights a week free plus a bolt was stuck and took a neighbor to come over three different nights over a 10 day span to get it out.

Yesterday: Pulled the camper out of the garage and set it up to perform a few mods. Finally got the thermostat installed on the fridge fans, so now my fridge fan mod is complete, although I may add a power resistor to slow the fans down just below the audible level. Also added 16 J-hooks under the bunk ends, shortened the shock cords on my PUGs, removed the hooks on the PUG shock cords, and tied loops on the ends of the shock cords. This was done in an effort to make it easier to hook up the SHW PUGs to my camper without climbing around all bent over to connect the shock cords together, as well as hopefully make it harder to get the cords all tangled up when we've packed up in a hurry. I don't have a problem climbing around under the rear bunk as most sites we get have a drop off back there and it's higher up, but the front one I'm having to reach across the propane tanks, battery, and storage tray with whatever we've loaded on it to get these things hooked up. This should make it easier to set up and take down, but we'll see.

We received in our Fourthwall (thanks to Ryanincc) and have taken the fabric off to let it air out some. It has a fragrance to it that we just can't place. Not that it smells bad, just that we don't know if it will be stronger once it has been stored in our closed up camper for a while. Our next trip is in less than 2 weeks and we're planning on using our two pack-n-plays for our kids, so we shouldn't need the Fourthwall just yet, but I plan on having it installed sometime after that trip.

16. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

Aug 14, 2005
    St Louis. Mo
    Went and had lunch with her.. made sure she was still covered up.. Checked the solar battery charger..

17. cyclop5

cyclop5 Member

Jun 18, 2015
    got a hitch for our NTU TV. (Dodge Grand Caravan). Broke one of the bolts the hitch attaches to. Removed bumper to remove bolt. Installed trailer wiring into TV. Not gonna do the trans cooler until it's warmer (but I did get one). Already have reservations for Memorial Day (Starved Rock SP in Il) Trying to decide where to go before that, and how soon it will be warm enough.

18. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Looked out the window at the shelter that protects the PUP in the backyard... too cold to do ANYthing else!

19. jam0911

jam0911 Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Currently looking for a replacement battery, took mine to get charged and the charger malfunctioned causing the battery to over charge and explode. [:(!] Oh well guess that was a sign that I needed a new battery. Other than that, painted the frame and looking into maybe going camping today.

20. bobloveland

bobloveland New Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Feb 2016-

Well its the middle of February, and so far we have most of our reservations already made for the year. At the end of last season I decided I would start the process of restoring our canvas to as new as possible, and unfortunately I have lost my before photos to share.. However, this is where the process is so far.
    The front and back canvas panels (not the ends) were so nasty I decided to do an extreme cleaning on the entire camper. Originally I planned on cleaning them while on the camper but decided to risk it all and took the front and back panels off to clean them. After they were off I cleaned them up some but wasnt getting the results I had hoped for, so into the washing machine went the smallest panel as a test to see if the canvas would hold up. After a successful run in the washing machine I ran the other panels through the wash as well and the only thing that really did not fair well, was the velcro. I figured Velcro was a small price to pay for a newly restored canvas and was pleased with the 1st round of results.
    The canvas had a lot of stains, so the next round was to hang it on a line outside and start cleaning it with Bass Pro Shops Mildew&Stain Remover. After spraying and a little minor scrubbing here and there it was ready for a rinse, and wow the results were amazing!! Winter came and I folded up the canvases to finish later..

February,

______________ is having a going out of business sale and I lucked out and got 2" Wide Sew-On Velcro for an amazing $0.50 per yard.... Yeah I bought it all.. Also got a spool of outdoor thread that I figured would do well with the canvas.

Removing the velcro was a easy but tedious task, see photos. I highly recommend getting a seam ripper as using a little knife took way too long. If you look in the photos you will see under the velcro the canvas was unravelling some, so I trimmed that off, and remembered seeing something on ebay.

I ordered 20 Iron on canvas patches 2"x10" to iron onto the canvas on the backside where the velcro was. I figured this would do several things.
    1. It would bond to the canvas and seal the old holes from the previous stitching.
    2. It would add some extra strength to the canvas around the door frame to help prevent potential rips and tears along the edges.
    3. It honestly would never be seen as the velcro I'm using is also 2" wide.
    As you can see from the photos, they did a great job. I also was able to repair a little hole in the corner and reinforce the corner on the other panel.

Still to do: sew on the velcro and reinstall the canvas after cleaning the two bunkends. (Not much canvas there needs cleaning..

Then the fun task of waterproofing.. Any recommendations on a waterproofing product to use? If it helps, I have an air compressor and sprayer...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.