So, what did you do for your camper, February 2016

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    Not much, our TT is slumbering under covers beside our house. I should open it to check everything. Batteries are in my garage getting their rotation on the charger....this is a must do item because i have lost a couple of batteries due to sulphation (from being discharged)

2. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    @bobloveland - We have Sunbrella fabric and they recommended fabric guard by 303 products. Works well for us.

3. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    303 Fabric Guard worked great on my Apache which is canvas. I'd recommend it. To do a whole pup you will probably need the gallon size. A quart barely covered me apache, which is essentially two bunk ends connected, so to get the main body you will need quite a bit more.

Yesterday I took advantage of the great weather here and popped up the ntu Duck and took a full inventory. It needs a thorough cleaning and a few door catches replaced, but other than that seems to be in great shape. I also started salvaging an old pup I got for free last year. I pulled anything I though might be of use for myself or of value to sell. I got the 3-way fridge, converter, 30 amp cord (I'll add a female end and keep it as en extension cord), outside stove, dinette table, fire extinguisher, and other odds and ends. I'll get the air conditioner and awning pulled off next time I mess with it and then be done with it.

4. gruss

gruss Active Member

May 6, 2014
    Put the new sticker on the license plate. [;)]

5. Mally

Mally Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Installed helper springs on my TV on Friday. Installed my new LED's and voltmeter yesterday. Also finally mounted the solar charge controller. [:D]

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Bought a set of collapsible measuring cups.

DH hosed off the cover on the TT, to rinse off dust and bird droppings. We keep it in the house when it's not on the TT (our garage sometimes has occasional mice). It was too windy by the time it it was dry to actually remove the cover. Maybe tomorrow it will be less windy. I'll start reorganizing ad restocking for the season sometime this week.

7. PlainJayne

PlainJayne New Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Bear Man and I just purchased a gently used 2007 Fleetwood Westlake TT. So so excited! Just couldn't camp on the ground anymore so I'm feeling so blessed we fell upon tihis. So we're in the process of fine tuning all it's needs. So needless to say we're at rhe stage where we want to open it up all the time and sit in it. Can't wait to go camping!

8. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @PlaineJayne - Welcome. I'm still at the stage where I enjoy just sitting in the camper in the driveway! It's a little easier to just open the door on the TT and step in than it was with our pups, at least when it's not under the storage cover.

Ordered new tires from eTrailer; they should be here by the end of the week.

We plan to take the TT's winter coat off when DH gets home from work today. That task was a lot easier on the pup, there's too much stuff on the roof (vents of various sorts, vent covers) and other things such as the awning for me to do that solo. I don't want to break anything - it cost $800 to replace the awning when I tapped a tree with it last year.

9. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    Over the weekend we saw temps in the mid 50's (a week before they were around 5F) so decided to uncover the pup and open it up to see how she was doing over her long winter's nap. Everything was in good shape, no signs of rodents or any other issues (knock on wood). Since I had it open decided to pull the power converter to see if I could figure out why the interior light didn't work last year. From what I could see, I don't think the converter works the 12v ceiling light and only hooks up to a regular 110v outlet on the box. In tracing the light wires it looks like they hook directly into a battery (which I don't have yet). Of course today they are calling for snow and freezing rain so back on went the cover and I'll delve farther into the electric system when spring finally arrives.

10. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

May 23, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    Added a cool looking patch....
    [​IMG]

After it was attacked by a shingle during the last wind storm...
    [​IMG]

11. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
  12. BushwickBill

BushwickBill Member

Jul 15, 2013
    I opened it up and checked for water and critters all was good and got a new battery the old one had a accident I dropped it. now I really want to go camp have not been since October and camping season is still some months away here but I think me and my daughter are going to go try a night or two this weekend close to home weather has been nice its calling for highs in the 60s lows in the high 20s to low 30s in town probably a little colder where we are going but she's tough I cant wait.

13. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We installed the new Atwood LP/CO detector. The original one has seemed a bit squirrelly since a dropped wrench in the battery box made a big spark last year. (Tight is a kind description of the clearances on the A-frame.) By the time we moved the TT home from fall storage, the fault light was on, so we decided replacing the detector was inevitable.
    The new tires arrived from eTrailer, so we went to the tire place this morning to have those mounted, balance and installed. Ended up replacing the tires on the 4Runner too, so new shoes all around.

Kissed a curb as we turned a tight corner on the way home, and found the fold-out door step was crooked. As DH straightened it, he said it was obvious this is not the first encounter that step has had with an obstacle. I know I got close enough to remove the insect screens on the furnace exhaust in the bushes at the neighbor's curb. DH also had an interesting encounter as he parked the TT in front of the house, which may have included the curb. We were so busy laughing over the small wire fencing being entangled with it that we may have missed any visible damage at the time. He has the step back to working well; it looks to be bolted on so we can replace it someday if necessary.

Our weird electrical thing happened again. We install the battery, and do not have power to any lights, etc. Hook up to 110, everything works inside, unhook, still nothing. Tow it, everything is fine.

14. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Installed the new combination shock cords and travel limiters on the Arrowhead [ALPU]. Originally came with shock cords only, and I learned - after two trials- that it is possible to pull too hard on the roof lifter and have the rear roof move past the engagement notch in the front roof. This is something of a pain- have to climb up on the still folded sidewalls and get things back into position.

Aframes are also vulnerable to wind gusts when erecting the roofs, and even when fully set up. Various folks have McGyvered up extra pins to engage sidewalls and roof sections, and various combinations of aluminum bars, steel cables, and modified hardware to address the situation.

I priced out components for a pair of wind bars, and at about the same time heard that Chalet had patented a system that uses a sheath of tubular nylon webbing over the shock cords. The webbing acts as a travel limiter, allowing just enough clearance for the lip on the rear roof to seat in the notch in the front roof. This provides wind (or operator error) protection while raising the roof sections and sidewalls, as well as when set up. The bar and or cable systems only work after setup.

The Chalet system was $35 plus shipping, about 20% less than components for the bar system, and took a little more than an hour to install.

Next project: move the battery tray back a bit, and the propane tray forward a bit, gaining space for the BAL Leveler to ride outside.

15. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We bought a new tow vehicle! We decided to "start looking" today, and after several hours, came home with a 2015 Chevy Colorado with just under 15,000 miles. I'm totally wiped out and my brain is scrambled, but it should be good.
    We have to add running boards or steps, tonneau cover and have the alarm disabled (I hate those things).

16. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

Dec 15, 2015
    CT
    That's AWESOME!! You and my brother use the same play book!!
    He just went yesterday to the dealer service/parts Dept for parts to his 2004 Chevy Half ton...and he picks up his new to him 2014 Chevy half ton Tuesday LOL!!!!!

17. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We did the same thing when we bought the 4Runner 8 years ago. For people often accused of over-planning, we apparently don't do that well for vehicles. However, we've usually done OK. (Our second Outback was a lemon, but we kept the first almost 20 years, until trading it today.)

18. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We spent this afternoon moving things from the 4Runner to the Colorado. We moved the rear camera monitor to the truck, though DH will have to re-work part of it.
    As best we can determine, the hitch height is almost the same for both vehicles, so we don't need to buy a new one.
    We spent so much time shopping, buying and changing over to the new TV that the only thing we got done on the TT was new tires.

19. VulcanGuy

VulcanGuy New Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Lots of Lysol on the NTU PUP . Ordered a sewing awl and screw posts put the strip back on the awning . New tongue jack and charged the battery bought a pull off carrier rooftop ac complete unit for 150 have not installed it yet . On to March ! Hope to be Camping by April !

20. Mally

Mally Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Installed my 12v outlet/voltmeter. Worked on my Solar setup some more. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.