So, what did you do for your camper, February 2017?

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    wishing weekend of 18 is dry & warm so i can escape

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. xZoomerZx

xZoomerZx Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Between the holidays, mercurial weather, and replacing a worn out sewing machine, we finally have the new curtains and valances in. Blackout curtains all around slightly oversized to cover canvas not normally covered. New shower and matching dressing curtain. We went with a monochrome scheme to make colors pop more. Cushions and couch are out and on the way to the upholsterer.

Attached Files:

3. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Finished cutting out reflectix window inserts (wow, it feels really cozy now), made homemade version of popupgizmo, turned storage bench into comfy couch with pillows and seat cushion and....(wait for it...)

4. gardenbliss

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    WROTE MY 1000'th POST ON POP UP PORTAL. WOO HOO!

5. aschumann

aschumann Get OUTSIDE!!

May 28, 2014
    [​IMG]
    New shelf over dinette.
    [​IMG]
    New shelves on the bunk ends too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. aschumann

aschumann Get OUTSIDE!!

May 28, 2014
    Also finished building my mobile pantry. It now just needs paint.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    With this we can bring it in the house and load up for our trip, then close it up and store in the camper.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @xZoomerZx - looking nice.

@aschumann - how much does that thing weigh? [DH made pie carriers a couple of decades ago, using the plywood left over from stout shelves in our store room. Each carrier holds 6 pies, I'm not sure I could safely load a filled one into the vehicle these days, and they are smaller than your pantry appears to be. One of the men at church gave us a hard time about the hefty carriers - said we could use them as a jack stands for the vehicles when we weren't transporting pies.]

I ordered the screen door handle JimmyM mentioned, so thanks for the reminder.
    The EZGO-brand base for the LP tank arrived today. We'll see how it works for the tank for the Little Red Campfire when we're using it, and for transporting a tank to fill it. The round one we bought has a section that broke the first time we used it - sort of still works, but this looks less likely to break.

On Monday, I made the 20 mile trek out to Camping World, for a waste tank enzyme that the nearby dealer does not carry (we found a combination - Odorlos & liquid Calgon - that works well for us, we're sticking to that routine), gel gloss stuff, and odds and ends. I put the protective polish on the counter and table, as well as the sink. The sink is sort of plastic, and we apparently damaged it at some point, probably by setting a pot that was too hot in it. We'll eventually replace it and the faucet, but we're trying to put that off for a while.
    I've toted a lot of supplies out to the TT, this afternoon I'm going to start putting them away, doing inventory as I do so. There seem to be a few things that I have not yet found. We cleaned it out in hurry when we got home from Thanksgiving. Our thinking/memories seem to have been less-than-acute, since we both had hideous head colds and pushed through the task as best we could. Altogether, not a formula for organized storage.

8. aschumann

aschumann Get OUTSIDE!!

May 28, 2014
    @kitphantom. It's lighter than it looks. I used a meranti cabinet grade plywood. It's a more stable plywood than what's at Home Depot etc. stays flatter etc.

9. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Surprise, AZ
    February, bought our first pup! Needs lots of work so I've been scraping off the old gross sealant off the roof, screw holes. My plan this week is to remove the trim and putty tape, add new putty tape under the trim and reseal the whole roof.

We reinforced the winch as it pulled up from the wall and subfloor.

Other than that, looking online for new bulb gaskets, weather stripping, seals, cleaning methods, floor plans (PO gutted it so we need to build all new galley and dinette/benches).

Picked out a color scheme to redecorate it.

So....much....to....do! But I can't wait to take it out camping!

10. gardenbliss

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Wow, aschumann,
    really nice job on the popup pantry box. I love it!

11. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Greased the whiffle tree and stabilizers, serviced the other parts of the lift system, ordered a momentary switch for a new voltmeter, USB charger, 12v outlet unit, purchased an Anderson leveler, looked at mats for under the mattresses (Sam's Club has some good ones), and thought about lots of other things I'd like to do to the PUP. Also ordered a hitch and wiring harness for our new TV and spend a few hours here on the portal.

12. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @aschumann - We'll need to use something like that when we replace the bed platform, which may be next winter's task. Currently MDF, the supports had warped and were only stapled to the platform. Having them attached by a bunch of screws makes the bed more stable, but we can see that the hinges will not last forever. We have 2 or 3 sheets of marine plywood in the garage, bought from the lumbar store when we though we were going to have to replace the floor on our first pup. Once we got down to it, the floor was actually in good shape, and we haven't found a project to use that wood yet.

The screen door handle arrived a while ago, I need to decide if I want to begin installation, or just wait for the weekend, when we'll be doing other camper tasks.

I found the missing items from the TT, squirreled away in food and supply boxes - as good a place as any for the off-season. I just didn't remember doing that. We made good notes about what needs to be re-stocked. Most of those things can wait until the next trip (AZ Spring Rally), since the trip next week is to visit friends, using the TT as a hotel room.

13. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We took advantage of record high heat today (75*) to dewinterize and sanitize the water system. We found that turning the pump on with the low point drains open emptied the fresh water tanks much faster than usual; we left it on until the tank was about 3/4 emptied.
    Tomorrow is supposed to be almost as warm, then another winter storm is supposed to blow through beginning Sunday. We'll blow the water system out tomorrow, though not add pink antifreeze. The lows are supposed to be in the low 30s a couple of times before I leave on Wednesday.
    DH installed the handle on the screen door. It is going to be a big improvement over opening the slider to close the door. I'm very glad JimmyM reminded me about that handle.

14. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    Opened up to air it out and do minor repairs...

Sewed up the small section of canvs seam that had rotted/torn, stood back to admire my handiwork, and spotted the BIG section of seam that has mysteriously come apart while nobody was looking... off to reload the awl with more thread, then start again.

It's a good thing I used to be a sailor, and had sail repairs to practise on... at least this version of the task doesn't involve getting doused in cold water while you sew ... :)

Ian (Him from Scotland)

15. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Only 60 days till it comes out of winter storage ! :)

16. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Drained the post-sanitizing solution from the water system, and blew out the lines, in case the temps get too cold.
    Finished restocking paper goods, squirreling all the supplies into their allotted spaces, and made the bed. It's nice how it goes from what seems to be a large pile of stuff, to everything being put way. The weather front is supposed to arrive overnight, with possible wind gusts of 50-60 mph, so I'm happy we got everything done. I'm also happy it is supposed to be over by my travel day, Wednesday.

ETA: We still have a couple of mods and repairs for the main season this year - new water pump and fresh water drain extension, but we're pretty well set otherwise. I keep thinking there's something that is being forgotten, but my trip this week is ideal for an extra check of supplies and repairs. I'm mostly using it as a hotel room while visiting friends, so more than likely can either buy anything that's been missed, or do without.

17. CrystalCoastCamper

CrystalCoastCamper Stay strong and Camp on!!

Jun 16, 2015
    Newport, NC
    I gave ours a much needed bath! Looks like a new camper again! [:D]

Attached Files:

18. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Ordered a BAL wheel chock. Have some plans to do some other stuff but won't be able to get to it until next month.

19. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We were very glad we finished all the work needed on the TT before my trip on Saturday, 45+ mph winds arrived on Sunday, and we woke to snow yesterday morning.

I have it all packed, except for the last minute things I'll add in the morning. It seems like it is a pretty bare packing job, but I don't really need any camping supplies except trailer related ones. I used the rattle siphon to add about 10 gallons to the fresh water tank, so I can use the system on the road.

One thing I did not find before this trip is some sort of wrench to help me cope with the connections on the sewer hoses. I think I found one that will work, but not in time to order it. I have a FHU site, so I hope my sore hands manage them for this trip.

20. xZoomerZx

xZoomerZx Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    The unseasonably warm weather contuines to spur on pup improvements. New tires are mounted, balanced, and installed. The dinette is reupholstered in stylish monochrome fabrics. The ancient failing CO detector is replaced with a new digital one. And I got the ammo cans bolted onto the bumper today. At this rate all maintenance will be done 1.5 months early and the DW and I will be itching to camp by April 1st!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.