So, what did you do for your camper, February 2017?

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Bought a bigger tv to tow it [​IMG]

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

2. Redbird

Redbird Member

Feb 28, 2016
    West Michigan, USA
    The weather is absolutely fantastic today (20 degrees above average) and should hold for about a week, but because it's completely unseasonal and we're not camping for another two months, I held myself back from working on the camper. I have some projects that I'll be working on in four or five weeks, including replacing the cap on the fresh water tank inlet (it was sun damaged when we bought the camper and apparently detached completely and fell off over the winter as I found it in the yard today [:O] ) and repairing a small tear in the vinyl that was also present at the time of purchase and I just never did anything about.

I ordered a tongue jack foot from eTrailer and some VLP (Vinyl Leather Repair) which I'm hoping will work well to fix the tear (I saw it mentioned on a thread here).

MC Sports is going out of business, and I saw some cast iron dutch ovens on clearance, so I'm trying to decide if I should jump on the deal as I have been curious about dutch oven cooking. Decisions... [:D]

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I can't wait that long. I have to get it out before the ground gets too soft.

4. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    Been busy getting ready for a 10 day trip.
    Exterior-
    Washed/Waxed, roof cleaned, inspected and UV treatment, Canvas cleaned and treated.
    Replaced the antenna bulkhead fitting and Coax cable end on the roof due to corrosion.
    Grease and checked wheel bearings. Under carriage inspected.

Interior- Basically a spring cleaning, everything pulled out, cleaned, sorted, Winter and extra junk removed.
    Complete wipe down of the interior...Was amazed on dirty it was.
    de-winterized the water system...no runs drips or errors....

Now to start packing....

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The first 4-night trip of the year was good, and a chance to see if we'd missed restocking anything. I only found a few little things. I didn't really cook, but it seems well stocked; food will be added before my AZ Rally trip.
    I ordered some Channellock oil filter/PVC pliers to use on the sewer hose connections. They should arrive in time to test them when we tow the TT to the dump station. (It was pouring rain when I broke camp, and my hands already hurt, so I skipped that step.)

The new rooster catches on the drawers and cupboard doors worked a treat - great not to worry about what might open on any given leg of the journey.

6. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Jul 3, 2008
    Iowa
    I am normally a strict do it yourselfer, do it pains me to say. I took my Starcraft 3606 to the local dealership to have a topic mounted air conditioner added. We don't generally camp where electricity is available, but the few times we used the air conditioning in our previous camper it was well worth the price I am posting to have it added to this one. I just couldn't bring myself to take a saw to me perfect one piece roof, so I am letting the pros do it. Since it will be in the ship I decided to have them add the lift kit to the Dexter torsion axle as well.

7. JWeible

JWeible Member

May 11, 2015
    After having to replace our cables 3 times in 2 years we figured there most be something causing issues. So, on Saturday, we had a friend's brother come out and look at it. He works in the service department at a local RV dealership. He found what was causing the problems and ordered the parts yesterday!! Should be fixed in a few weeks!
    Bought screen repair tape for a few small tears, measured for new curtains and bought a linoleum remnant from menards to replace the old stuff.
    Can't wait to camp this year!!

8. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Webster, NY
    Mine is in the garage under a pile of stuff but I did start a word document of mods I plan once it comes out for the season in the spring! PVC/wire mesh shelving is a top priority. Also ordered the Timbren suspension aids for the TV.

9. Va_Camper

Va_Camper Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Virginia
    Emailed a dealer to try to find a tail light cover. If that doesn't work I will be replacing both tail lights next month. Then I made the first reservations for the season for Easter weekend. Tomorrow I will be making another reservation for Fathers Day weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. bigmajestic

bigmajestic New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    South Mississippi
    I've been busy on our new to us PUP. Completely gutted and started a full restoration. New sub-floor, interior walls, electric converter, new wiring, new floor and paint. Still not finished, but making really good progress and fast. Start working on cabinets and seating this weekend.

Here is my thread of my restoration project.
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=109951.0

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    It was warm enough on Sunday to open the door of the TT and give the inside a quick once over to ensure there was no visitors and no water.. Neighbourhood cats are doing their job..

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I did the same thing. I never chase the cats away from my yard.
    I forget who it was but someone on here said leave a can of cat food by the camper every couple of days.

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Our older dog, hardly barks at the cats when they are around "his" trailer.. but if they walk onto the driveway.. all bets are off... Younger dog hasn't yet figured things out yet...lol

14. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    This past weekend I washed the curtains, cleaned it out from one end to the other, repaired a small section of canvas and replaced the carpet (old indoor/outdoor from the previous owner) with new low-pile that we had installed in the house and I even washed the dishes, pots and utensils, including the utensil holder). Lastly I caulked the seams, treated some dry rot and touched up the paint. I still have to put everything back in and repair the front deck but then we're ready for our Spring Break trip.

15. Va_Camper

Va_Camper Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Virginia
    Placed the order for my new tail light cover replacement. Ordered a fish cleaning table so that I will have a sink outside all the time. I bought 3, 40F sleeping bags for my wife and daughters since I made some April reservations for Easter weekend. I am going to try to open it up on Friday and start cleaning it up while we have some decent weather. You never know what March will bring.

16. jenmel

jenmel Hudson Valley, NY

May 30, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I cleaned the snow off! :) Such is life in NY. Weather is breaking, but still a little while until the PUP is on the road for the season.

17. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Buda, TX
    Cleaned off more mildew and ordered new tires and rims!
    I have some patching to do on the canvas too.
    I am waaaay excited to start the "rebuild" we planned last year and never got to.

18. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Buda, TX
    My dad repairing his sails is what prompted me to buy an awl...it lives in the pup now haha.

19. jwdogman@yahoo.com

jwdogman@yahoo.com Member

Jan 13, 2016
    We had a couple of 60°+ days here in Upstate NY so now I've got the camping bug already(I swear I saw a mosquito today)! Trying to be smart and not open the [PU] because we have had some [{}=] . So I put the ol' Pony up on jacks and got much needed new tires. I bought the [PU] last year and just went camping without much thought of maintenance or upgrades. This site is a blessing and a curse. While the important information is amazing, it also gives way to "Oh I need to do that, or I need that!" [:D] So in trying to stick with the "necessities", I also ordered a new fire extinguisher, battery monitor, and a 5 gallon solar camp shower bag(to have hot/warm water for dishwashing).
    Oh and for the "I need that" I ordered a mattress! I sleep on my side so I remember how hard the bed was last year. Even with a foam bed topper and layers of blankets and sleeping bags. I hope it does the trick. It's 6.5" thick so I'll have to roll/fold it and transport it on the floor or in my vehicle, so I can crank down the [PU]. The real selling point for me was it's a perfect fit at 48"X80", which is not a normal bed size and difficult to find(here is a link

http://www.kmart.com/innerspace-luxury-products-6.5-inch-truck-luxury-reversible/p-021V008875236000P

to the mattress at Kmart, but they are sold at Amazon and other places. Just look for the best price). I'm thinking about removing the fold up sink cabinet, since I've never used it, so I have more room to transport the mattress. Maybe that will be next months post?!?

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    On Friday, we drained the fresh water tank and blew out the lines, again. Good thing too, it was 18* F yesterday morning.
    Yesterday, we towed it to the KOA dump station. The Channellock oil filter/PVC pliers are going to be helpful for me to handle the connectors by myself. I bought some silicone lube too, which is what Valterra suggested when I contacted them to find out if they made a wrench that fit.

Looked for replacement mounting screw for the microwave, 2 or 3 had been lost over time. Looks like I need to go to a specialty bolt supplier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.