So, what did you do for your camper, January 2016

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Happy New Year to everyone.

Here's your battery charger reminder, for those doing the monthly off-season upkeep. Ours were charged a couple of weeks ago, when we finally got them off the TT in storage, but we're going to put them on the charger again today to get back on track.

2. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Thank you! I am pulling the battery and putting it on the "tender" today. I made a large list of maintenance items for the spring. It's a lot of caulk and rtv work, so I will wait for warmer days. That's my excuse for now anyway.

3. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Waiting for warmer weather for some tasks here too. We'd planned to remove tape residue and give the TT a quick wash, then put the cover on. We brought it home from (temporary) storage Christmas Day, just as the winds were ramping up, with snow arriving the next day. It has pretty much hovered at or below freezing since then, so no work on washing or covering. We've been dealing with snow, ice and melting snow creating an ice sheet in the driveway - with sun, things melt even when it's cold - and it got all the way to 40 yesterday.
    We've been in and out of the TT all week, since some items didn't get removed or replaced while it was at storage - at least I remembered to pull all liquids before freezing weather hit.
    I added a bit of pink to the toilet bowl, since it had mostly evaporated, then added seal conditioner (which is OK to use with antifreeze). Looked odd - deep pink + blue conditioner = weird purple.

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I thought about it.

Our camper is in storage so probably won't lay eyes on it again for a couple or three months. In the meantime, we want to replace all the counter tops. I bought a 4 x 8 x 1 sheet of marine-grade plywood and had it cut to roughly the dimensions I need. If/when the weather warms up, my plan is to get everything cut to size and finish with stain and seal. Then we'll do the replacing during our first trip in the spring. [:)C]

5. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    Started drawing up a list of everything we need to buy/replace/save up for...

6. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    I washed the outside vinyl and canvas, organized the inside so I'm ready to go at a moments notice.

7. Racerm305

Racerm305 New Member

Feb 20, 2015
    I raised the body 4" when I relocated the axel to the bottom of the leaf springs and gained storage space when I installed the custom steel wheel wells. The wells went from 10.5" tall plastic to 3.5" steel. I read a thread to change to steel so if the tire blew it would not destroy the plastic wells and damage the cabinets/camper inside. Changing the axel also made it easier to access the pup tire. The hub center is now below the wall of the closed wheel well. Next is finish rebuilding the cabinets.

We bought the 79 Starcraft under $200 and have replaced the floor, rebuilt the front and back, recanvased, and reconfigured the interior. It's been a project but have taken it out 3 times so far. The goal this year is to expotentionally increase useage. My 3 year old keeps asking when we can camp again (need to add a heater). [DUCT] [MOD] [RTM]

8. Canufixit

Canufixit Member

Nov 4, 2015
    Ok I'm Jealous !! Fl, Ca and others enjoying outside - and I'm waiting for the 7 feet if snow we had last year ... Maybe I can open the camper in late march and start some work.

9. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Indirectly related to caring for the PUP, I will be sanitizing the Thetford SmartTote and put it up in storage. We did make a "To Do" list for the Niagara yesterday:

1. Floor repair behind refer (exposed by refer vents)
    2. RTV roof and all external fixtures
    3. Seal shower
    4. Replace kitchen faucet with metal residential
    5. Brace sink wall
    6. Remove tent stains
    7. Under slide-out metal panel treat with rust convert and primer
    8. GP 27 battery (?)
    9. Lube wheel bearings and adjust brakes
    10. GFCI Replace
    11. Shocks mod (?)

These are in no particular order, but the caulking, sealing, rust, and lube work have first priority.

10. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Our list of things to be done for next season isn't very long:
    1) new tires - I need to do some research, the original are Kenda, which did very well for us on the pup. These are worn at 7500 miles.
    2) DH has to replace one of the dividers he made for the storage spaces over the bed, it detached at some pint last summer (one large space, 3 doors, dividers are handy)
    3) Make a list of what is in each cupboard or storage area. Never did this on the pup, since many of the boxes and supplies were moved at each set-up/take-down. While we do have to move some things to a stable place for on the road, most things have a permanent place. After a season in the TT, when we moved things around as we found positions that worked better, I think I can make lists - I forget where some of the lesser used items are squirreled away. (For instance, the box of repair-type clips and Velcro, hiding behind the p-trap of the one and only sink.)

We've been making plans and reservations in the last couple of days. Some may be subject to change, but at least we have reservations in a couple of places that fill up quickly.

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Dreaming of possible mods wishing I could open it up and take note of anything I need. But alas it sits in a grassy field with the ground so saturated that only a farm tractor could access. Trailers sinking into the soft earth I sit praying I will be able to pull it out come spring. Still need to find a battery tender/charger. Just not sure if my current battery is recoverable. It was siverely discharged when I bought the unit.

12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Joanne. Take your battery to auto zone they could test it, you may be better off buying a new one. At least you will know the history on it. Just my thoughts.

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    It's 10 degrees (F) outside and just remembered to pull the battery out of the pup and put it in the basement. Will put it on the charger tomorrow when it's room temperture!

14. RedAggie03

RedAggie03 New Member

Apr 26, 2015
    [​IMG]

I installed a digital thermostat for my heater.

15. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

Oct 5, 2014
    [:)C] installing new roof with a new to me AC unit. I will be ordering new canvas by the end of the month! woooot!

16. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I put a big pile of snow in front of it with a plow truck. It is official winter is here and she aint movin till spring!!

17. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Got a bal leveler for 40 bucks shipped to me from Amazon. It was barely used awesome deal I think.

18. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
    What did we do for our camper this month?
    Does CAMPING in it count?
    If so, we did a New Years stint at the beach!
    Love me some furnace. Actually the weather was nice.

[ALPU] [TV]

19. sespe

sespe Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Went camping on the beach last night (the left coast). With the PUGs on we ran the heater once and stayed warm all night. Surf was up pretty high as we left today.

[​IMG]

20. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We got the campsite reservation made for our Colorado trip, which includes the entire Rally time.

Went into the TT to check on conditions - no rodents, leaks, etc. We have two containers of Damp-rid, which are still dry and loose, even after two solid weeks of snow and ice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.