So, what did you do for your camper, January 2016

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Jan 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabbit86

Rabbit86 New Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Lakeland, FL
    Opened her up a crack and checked the damp-rid (didn't need to change). Recent windy rain here in Jersey, so glad to see she was a dry as a bone. No mouse or other infestations! Looked into membership to Thousand Trails. Checked battery (in garage) and charger (all well).

2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    Charged the battery and then knocked the ice off the cover. Just in time for the snow to cover it again!

3. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    Went camping. Had a death in the family and camping was a cheaper option than a hotel for the same amount of time.

Swapped the piece that the shower hose runs through for a bracket that actually holds the shower head.

4. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    Finally got the PUP covered for the winter just in time for a big rainstorm Saturday night. Was going to build a frame to drape a tarp over but when I was looking around for some scrap lumber I saw a couple of old wooden saw horses and thought hmmmm. Put them up on the roof (they were exactly the same length as the pup box, put pads under the legs to guard against scratching and draped a large heavy duty tarp over it to give me a peaked roof. Pulled it tight and ran bungee cords underneath the pup and voila, instant cover. The peak is about 7' high which gives me steep sides to shed moisture and about a 3' air space between the tarp and the roof. Had winds of over 20mph on Sunday and it held up no problems. Total cost was $0 using stuff I already had.

5. sespe

sespe Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Added a dual-USB charging port. When I find a 12v socket that looks similar I'll add it too. Can't believe this PUP came with multiple 110v outlets but no 12v!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

May 22, 2013
    Will be installing a hard start capacitor on the AC tomorrow, or at least by the weekend. Don't need it now, but I'm opening it up to stay in this weekend while we have guests taking over our bed. Might as well get the new cap installed. This will make it easier to run the AC off of our 2,500 watt generator or a power post with iffy voltage.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @sespe IIRC, we bought a 12 v outlet that looked like that from Amazon, when we added one to our last pup.

I realized that we had neglected to remove the pail with sanitizer and waste tank treatments from the outside storage area in the TT. We've been having temps in the teens, but the liquids were sloshing when I removed it this morning. Phew!

8. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

May 22, 2013
    Done!
    [​IMG]

9. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We finally got the cover put on the TT this morning. We brought the TT home from storage on Christmas Day, just as the winds from the first of several storms were picking up. Today was the first time that the roof was dry and we had a break in the weather long enough - at least in daylight, while DH was home - to install the cover.
    It will only be covered for about 6 weeks, since our first trip is a month earlier than usual this year and we didn't get it covered until now. That's still 6 weeks out of direct weather, and bird droppings - as much as the tree next to it has been trimmed, the white winged doves apparently still roost in it.

Adding things to my list of things to purchase, make or remember to put into the TT when we get it ready for the season.

10. kimlovescamping

kimlovescamping New Member

Aug 28, 2012
    We opened her up to make sure she was dry inside! Had a wet spot on the bed when we camped over Thanksgiving. Wanted to make sure there wasn't a leak. All dry. So happy!

11. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    Moved it out of the garage and into the driveway where it will sit for now. The Civic is in the garage so I can change the timing chain...getting frustrated with it at the moment so I'm taking a break and getting online.

12. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Bought a new gray colored flushing hose, more compact than the garden hose we'd bought.

Bought a cover for DH's mountain bike, he plans to take it on our trip to North Rim (Grand Canyon) in May.

13. jwdogman@yahoo.com

jwdogman@yahoo.com Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Well I just bought my 1998 Palomino Pony so I have been anxious to start on improvements. So far I have gotten an LED bulb for the light fixure, 1.5" foam bed toppers, new sheets and comforters, a Fan-Tastic 12v fan, a 12v adapter and extension cord for the battery, a mattress protector, 2 Goal Zero lights, and an extension cable for my solar panel.

14. steve7-4

steve7-4 'I'd rather be camping'

Aug 26, 2014
    Northeast Illinois
    I finally ordered a set of Grade D new tires, upgraded from Grade C and bought them from ETrailer. I was worried about the loaded PU weight because it was just over the load rating and the manufactured date on the tire could not be read, maybe to old I guess. Come spring I will get them mounted and I might as well have them balanced. I also bought the bearing kit so I will change that at the same time. At least I will feel a lot safer during the longer summer trips. It's about 4 degrees today up here in northern Illinois, so spring can't come too soon.

15. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    Went in and renewed the DriZAir crystals and emptied the water from the bucket. Checked for leaks and she is all dry

16. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Peterborough area, ON
    Checked on her over the weekend as she sits in storage. Still 4 months away before she comes out at the earliest. Looking to book our first trip for June, very soon.

17. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Bought extra kitchen towels for the TT, Costco had the same ones I bought last year so I grabbed them for extras. Bought a new lightweight throw, also at Costco. Most all of our camping throws and blankets are Polartec, this is lighter than Polartec 100, so it will nice for those odd, not-quite-cold temps.

[For years, all the towels for camping were castoffs from the house, often pretty worn out. Once we renovated the first pup, we had dedicated bedding for it, since it was not a size we used at home and we didn't use the sleeping bags in the pup. When we bought the TT, I splurged on kitchen and bath towels (quick dry type) just for that - makes it easier to tell at a glance what belongs in the camping supplies or house ones.]

I'm still trying to fit some more camping on the schedule, I/we have a gap from the first weekend of April (solo for me to AZ Spring Rally) until the last week in May. Most likely, anything in the gap will be solo for me, given DH's work schedule.

18. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Wanted to use the dutch oven tripod this evening, but realized i left it in the cAmper which is snugly underground until April. So reminded myself that only 2 more months and it will be comming out! First scheduled camp trip is April 22 at Raccoon Creek state park. For the ThreeRivers DOG. Cant wait!!!!!

19. rlhul6

rlhul6 Member

Mar 13, 2009
    ALexandria,VA
    Use it!!! Going to FL to get away from the snow thats coming [:D]

20. Scottbaldwin01

Scottbaldwin01 New Member

Jan 11, 2016
    How well does that work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.