So, what did you do for your camper, January 2017

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Happy New Year!

Here's your battery charge and maintenance reminder,for those needing it. I added "maintenance" after we realized that we had not checked the water level in ours for longer than we thought. Not too far down, but we definitely had to add water.
    On our A-frame, things are definitely tight, and removing the battery box lids is a pain - for one of the boxes, we have to remove an LP tank before we can open the box lid. We're going to need to be a bit more deliberate at checking the water levels.

2. AtlDave

AtlDave New Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Loaded the new Lodge cast iron into the camper.

[PU] [PUT]

3. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    Absolutely nothing other than watch it doing it's winter slumber under it's cover with 6" of fresh snow on it from last night and shovelling around it

4. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Observed the cover keeping the snow off the trailer, as intended.

Verified that the converter is plugged in, and drawing a maintenance level of power. About 23 watts seems normal for keeping the two Group-24 batteries floating at full charge, and accommodating the parasitic current draws such as the CO/Propane detector and smoke alarm.

I check the battery fluid level a couple times a year and it's never needed more than 1/8th inch of water added to any of the cells. And even that is only needed once a year. I guess my converter/charger is well calibrated for bringing the batteries up to a full charge and maintaining them there without boiling off fluid.

There's not much more I could do for the trailer this time of year. Too cold outside to enjoy working on it. I don't think we've had a day above freezing in a couple weeks.

5. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    plugged in battery charger,did a mouse check,and checked for any rips in cover.now just waiting on a few days of dry weather so we can run off for a few days.

6. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @ davido - Not sure why ours was down, but it had been a while since we checked it. Another Retro owner on the FB page boiled theirs dry, but I don't know if it was determined to be due to the convertor, the battery (our first battery was actually defective, it was added by the dealer not the mfr), or lack of any attention to the battery since taking ownership (that sounded possible).

We had considered just leaving the batteries on the TT this winter, and plugging it in to charge them, but then my husband decided to move them into the garage. We were sort of glad we did, rain and/or wash water had filled one of the boxes so the battery had water an inch-plus up the sides (less deep when we removed it, of course). That box is located so water can run off the front and into the vent hole. I'm sure the battery was OK in that much water, but it would have been mighty icky if it had not evaporated before going scummy. We got that drained out.

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Woo Hoo! [CP]

I'm trying to buy mine new tires, but waiting on the experts on here to help me out.

I washed the full sized mattress cover yesterday in my front loader. There is no way the king sized one is going to fit, so may have to take it to the laundromat.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
  9. Kristiecowans

Kristiecowans Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Fullerton, California
    My husband installed a voltage meter inside the pup & replaced the old propane leak detector.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

10. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    installed a voltage meter on the battery box for an instant check on battery power, and ordered a 12' carpet runner for the inside. camping next week.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
  12. Fleetwood Max

Fleetwood Max Member

Aug 14, 2005
    St Louis. Mo
    I moved from one storage lot to another.. I had to put 2x6 boards down to pull the camper on, so it wouldn't sit in water when it rained..i had asked the lot for months for more gravel.. nope.. you lose,, now I found a new lot at a cheaper cost.. :)

13. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    I had a local RV welding shop put a 4x3 rectangular tube just behind my bumper between the frame members. They also notched this in one location and welded in a replacement piece of steel. In this notched space I bolted on a hitch receiver originally meant for a Sequoia. I've also cut some shims out of some 28 gauge steel that I had laying around and am in the process of putting some self tapping screws through them to keep them in place. The end result is that I have a receiver for my Yakima FullSwing 4 bike rack in the back of my camper and it is extremely solid. I'm able to load up my bikes, swing the rack open, and pop up the camper with them loaded. When I'm finished I'll take a few pictures and make a thread about it. I also had to swap the locations of the spare tire carrier and license plate bracket.

14. jam0911

jam0911 Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Found these LEDs with the remote at Walmart for 18.00. I have always wanted a set of these, but was worried about the quality of the ones off of eBay. Now to find a time to install them on my camper!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    just finished building hard wall shower. will try it out next week

16. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Booked four trips, brought the battery in from the cold, and started planning the annual maintenance appointments for the axles, fridge and furnace checks. Got to get the info off the tires so I can decide to buy new ones before the trip to Moab. Other than that waiting for a day to raise the roof and let it breath a little.

17. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Actually purchased new tires, had the mounted and balanced. Greased up the bearings, and put the new tires on.

We're ready to rock 'n' roll!

18. jlynn58

jlynn58 Active Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Waiting for a couple of warm days to fit and modify a new bike rake on rear bumper. I have spare tire plus hot water tank is vented out the back.

19. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Just glanced at it. Western trip on hold.

20. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @ NJGuy, sorry your trip is on hold

We booked our site for our July vacation, which includes the Colorado Rally.

Ordered one "rooster" catch, to see if that might be our solution to keep drawers and a couple of cupboard doors shut on the road.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.