So, what did you do for your camper, July 2016

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Jul 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    First of a new month - how can it be July already?

Here's your battery charge reminder for those who need it. The TT one is nicely charged, we will charge our extra 12v (we need to find a home for it).

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Replaced the winch cable and a lift cable, leveled the roof, packed up and went camping!

3. leningradka

leningradka Spending a small fortune to live like homeless guy

Apr 26, 2016
    Phoenix AZ
    How often should the batteries be charged? Pup had been in the garage since June 8 , should I buy one of those small battery chargers at Walmart and charge it up?

4. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Nov 3, 2012
    In the last couple weeks,we've gotten a generator, memory foam mattress, and now a new Gander Mountain Permachill cooler. Also added 2 hanging panteries,and reorganized all of the totes in pup. Took out fold down galley that only housed the sink for more room. The low pressure stove also came out. We've never used either. Have a new hose to hook up Camp Chef grill to low pressure line on pup. Guess we've been busy.

5. StageLover

StageLover Member

May 20, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Spent today, Canada Day, replacing the old converter with a WFCO 8735. Still have to run new wiring from the battery; currently, it has 16 gauge. Will do that tomorrow then comes the big test. Battery is on the charger overnight. It was reading way low even though I have been religiously charging it over the winter. I'll check it tomorrow; I may have to replace it. I have a group 27 in the garage, would have to change out the case cuz current is G 24.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

6. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    We are grateful that you set this up for us every month. Thank You!

We hung the new shower curtain and put foam pipe insulation around the metal shower curtain ceiling frame to keep it from rubbing on the ceiling (makes marks) when the roof is closed, and we loaded the PUP for NM. She gets a bath this morning; we will check the tire pressure in the morning, and that's it. We are ready to roll out for NM! We did have to adjust the WD yesterday after adding suspension helpers to the TV. That's kind of camper and TV related.

7. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @leningradka
    Many of us tend to put the battery on a charger once a month or so in the off-season or during big gaps between trips in-season.
    In-season, we usually have ours plugged in to the house often enough that we don't use the separate charger. Off-season, we pull the batteries and put them on the charger.
    If you do a search for battery chargers, there are a couple of types people like (smart-type is one).

My husband finally managed to fix our sticking door issue; I could not get it open the other day. He had to file and grind down the screws holding the strike plate in place. It works much better, we'll see if he removed enough the next time we have hot sun beating directly on that door, probably at the Colorado Rally week after next. We weren't sure why the screen door also started having an issue, but he seems to have gotten that fixed too.
    We got our food supply re-organization done, so we'll see how it works on the Rally trip. Having a refrigerator and freezer that are a nice size and work well has been a great help to our meals, too.

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Started replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs. The first two were the porch light next to the door and the one up front by the propane tanks. Both use C912 bulbs. Got the replacement LEDs on Amazon, two for $5.49.

Attached Files:

9. GUMP637

GUMP637 New Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Actually in June... But, here goes anyway.

Ordered LED Lamps for the 2 dome lights and the "porch light" on our 2001 Taos. As with the majority of my LED needs I acquired them from Superbright LED's. Cool White for inside, luckily the dome covers are not very frosted. I got amber for the outside as that was the lens cover color. Very pleased.

Additionally, I ordered a new vehicle connector for the wiring harness and connected a toggle switch that allows me to turn on the marker (running) lights when on shore power. Nothing special, but, the added light around the camper at night is nice. I just keep the toggle up at the tongue and flip it off as I retire for the evening.

10. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I cleaned the window tracks and used dry Teflon lube on them again. Given the windy & dusty areas we camp in, it seems as though this will need to be done after every couple of trips. It is amazing how much better the windows slide when I do that task.
    It got too hot and windy for me to do a few other small tasks I want to accomplish before we leave for Colorado. My husband is planing on a long hike tomorrow, so maybe I can get those projects done early.

11. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

Dec 15, 2015
    CT
    [​IMG]

I found some corner rot.
    This is the rear left corner under the dinette bench/bed that houses the power converter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...And this is a little of what I did July 3rd!!!

[​IMG]

Luckily the walls are solid, I think the water followed down the plastic rear tail light wall and the front storage box wall seams to the tin side panels, down to the floor boards the walls and shell all sit on.

Two maybe three more corners to address. Both up front, corners definetly. Leaking from the storage bin top corners caused the PO to replace the floor...but he stopped there.

Thanks for looking, I hope this helps...or is at least fun to look at the pictures this Fourth of July!!!!

CHEERS!!

12. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Washed it! Not the greatest job, but I got most of the baked-on bugs from the last two trips off of the front, and the leading edges of the awning supports. Got a clot of tar spots off too. All in spite of discovering that my can of bug and tar remover had gone a little strange; it still sort of worked. Now I need to wash the windows, our hard water left lots of spots. Easier to get them off of the glass window than the pup vinyl ones, through.
    Added two hooks and a dowel to experiment with temporary door curtain. In some campgrounds, it would be nice to have a curtain over the door, for headlight spill or lights from street or restroom fixtures. I'd like to make it so we can have a curtain over the opened door when the sun is beating in. At times, it can be rather bright and/or hot if we're cooking inside, the stove is right next to the door and the pull up shelf is actually in front of it.

13. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I finished our new camp sign. If the garden sign holder won't support it, we'll figure out a different one. (Excuse the shadows, best pic I could manage in the bright evening sun.)
    [​IMG]new sign july 4 2016 by Andrea Vaughan, on Flickr

14. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Had a sput moment, reserved a site last minute at Raccoon Creek state park this past weekend, and being a holiday, of course all that was left unreserved was primitive sites, so after checking in , stopped by water spigot to fill my fresh water tank, drove to my site , leveled out and turned the pump on for the water, after several minutes couldn't figure out why the pump wouldn't build pressure and stop, then noticed I forgot to close the low point valves after draining my lines, last camping trip. Shut valves after I noticed the water was draining under my camper, and I lost about about 40 percent of my water capability. So yes had to dry camp last day since I ran dry

15. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @vagov- at least we were in our driveway when we did that! BTW, we have an easy siphon that lets us add water to the tank while set up, from whichever water jug we're using. That's often the 2 gallon, easier for me to handle.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    I cleaned/scrubbed the canvas and closed it up.
    I also finished the remote wiring for the Macerator pump plug in. Then dumped/flushed the black tank.

17. Austin694

Austin694 Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Fixed the ratcheting pawl and adjusted the whiffle tree and whole lifting mechanism to work correctly. Now it clicks and the clutch works for lowering.

18. StageLover

StageLover Member

May 20, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Update: Dar got under the trailer and ran the new battery wire. (She also did the wiring connections and organized the wiring out of the way; credit where credit is due.)
    Everything worked perfectly in the first test.
    Since the WFCO does not have an on/off switch, picked up a limit switch and installed it in the battery line as a cut-off. When the kitchen is folded down, the trailer electrical is disconnected from the battery.
    Dar removed all the curtains, washed and rehung them. She made a new privacy curtain for the "head" since the old one was pretty ratty. And she cleaned and organized the whole thing stem to stern
    Meanwhile, I installed an access door where the old shore power connector had been (I installed the new one further forward). Now we have access to the storage space under the rear dinette seat when the trailer is closed up.

19. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Nov 3, 2012
    We actually got to go camping for a change. I've been working so many hours,and Saturdays have been mandated. Planning on camping this weekend as well,ands long as we're not working saturday. We'll see!

20. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

Dec 15, 2015
    CT
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.