So, what did you do for your camper, July 2016

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Jul 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Took it out camping for 8 nights, including the Colorado Rally. My husband managed the long back-in pretty well. We realized just how crowned the parking area was, so had to make some adjustments, or it would have been great on the first try.
    Most of my new organizational attempts were successful. All the Command strip wall pockets stayed up for the trip. They freed up other space, so that was good. We had two command hooks fail. Our hot weather may be to blame for one or both, it has been well over 100 in the TT at times.

2. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I sold my Apache today [:!] it was a great pup and my first. But it was just a little small for my tastes and I wanted a few more creature comforts, namely air conditioning.

I hope the new owners give it the love and care it deserves, and I think they will. The husband was buying it for his wife's birthday present. She turns 50 this year and has wanted to get a camper. It just so happens the Apache was born the same year (1966) so it was a perfect fit :)

3. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    Finally hooked up the LP for the inside stove this weekend. First time since we got pop-up last year. Picked up a Blue Rhino gas bottle and hooked it in to the regulator, went inside to try the stove top and nothing. Went back and checked all connections then followed the lines checking for leaks with a small spray bottle of soapy water. When I tipped over the counter to check the lines coming into the bottom of the stove found the flexible line was kinked. Checked it very closely for any leaks and didn't find any so straightened out the line and tried it and voila flames. Personally I would have been just as happy to remove the stove top and use the outside coleman stove only but the DW wanted to be able to heat water for dishwashing and to make a pot of coffee in the morning without having to go outside to do it. And of course we all know who won that discussion. I did have a small victory in laying down the law that food was not to be cooked inside.

4. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

Dec 15, 2015
    CT
    Fuzzy!
    I would like to know just how long your victory lasts lol!!

Sunday night and yesterday...removed the sofa/bed, removed and cleaned a mouse nest and ended up with this.

[​IMG]

5. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    Miller, we leave Friday for our next trip so I'll let you know Sunday how long it lasted lol

6. Redbird

Redbird Member

Feb 28, 2016
    West Michigan, USA
    Mid-season cleaning is happening this week. I just spent a little over an hour this morning washing the PUP's exterior. An interior deep-clean and scrubbing the canvas is happening tomorrow. [PU] I've determined that I want to repaint the PUP roof at the end of the season before we put the camper away for the winter. It isn't bad at all, but could really use a freshening up. It's much too hot to work on a painting project right now, but I won't complain as the weather has been absolutely fantastic for camping. [SUN] [SUN] [SUN]

Although we have several more trips planned before the end of the summer, we are already thinking ahead to next summer and have some big ideas in mind. [8D]

7. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Our A/C died (started blowing smoke and flames off the fan wires while in the shop to diagnosis) and had a new one installed. Tried it out last week at Rickwood Caverns SP (AL) and it worked great. The bill should arrive shortly. [:(]

8. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Wouldn't it be nice if the bill spontaneously burst into flames and smoke? [;)]

Glad you got it sorted before any additional damage occurred!

9. Jennysfur

Jennysfur Hubby, 2 lil ones and I!! '74 Lionel 100

Jul 23, 2015
    Just got back from a week long camping trip/ family reunion in central Alberta. It rained the whole week. When we got back I noticed the ceiling was starting to warp so today I started ripping the ceiling off 1/4 of the way done and found 2 pin holes and one massive hole. This is gonna be a super tedious job but once I'm done its gonna be water tight and looking great!! And a bonus so far no wood rot on the frame!!!! Hope I'm not opening up a can of worms!!

10. Miller

Dec 15, 2015
    CT
    Wheel bearings started yesterday afternoon...but after measuring and identifying numbers and finally tracking down the bearings & seals kit I ran outta time. Will do them today!

[​IMG]

Fuzzy!!
    Can't wait to hear what you guys cooked up for dinner...inside the PUP LOL!!!
    Have a great weekend!!
    We needed to cancel our weekend, my DW was needed at work and it's pretty hard to say no as an RN in the OR [:(]

On the flip side, that's the RN we all want caring for us and our family.
    ...and I get to do the next best thing to camping...camper tinkering lol!!

Happy Camping!!

11. bloodbanker

bloodbanker New Member

Jul 15, 2016
    Installed a dual LP tank holder. Got it off amazon. Solid unit. Get this one from this seller if you need one. It is excellent build quality. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PUP 2011 Jayco 1006
    TV 2004 GMC Sierra

12. Montyrob

Montyrob Member

May 8, 2011
    Henrietta, NY
    Wired a new outside light since the old ones switch died now that's led, then switched the inside lights over to LED as well

13. pioneer92

pioneer92 New Member

Aug 11, 2015
    [PU] We have a 92 Coleman Pioneer. Added a storage box to back of our Pup. It is a tool box that was in my son's pickup truck he didn't use anymore. Also painted the roof and added a new bag awning. Installed a fan in the roof where there had been a roof vent. We have no A/C. Bought a balance leveler and it works great. Like it better than the blocks to drive on.

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I got much of the clean-up from our last trip done by the middle of this past week. Still need to get some things put back into non-travel locations, I'm tired of working around boxes stacked in the house..
    I have to figure out how to drain the fresh water tank, that was to be one of the tasks for my husband this weekend. He had a bicycle accident on Friday, commuting to work. Lots of cuts and bruises, it could have been worse, so we are thankful. However, I depend on him to crawl under the TT and work the drain. Due to a huge laceration, he is in a long leg brace, so he's not scootching under the TT. Makes me really wish I'd pushed to do the extended drain pipe mod before now! It is definitely on the list for mods to be done once he's healed up.
    I'd planned to sanitize the tank before the next trip, in Sept, so I guess having the water sit in the tank longer will be OK.

15. Miller

Dec 15, 2015
    CT
    Kitphantom I hope DH heals fast and smooth!! Sounds like a bad fall from the bike.

I replaced the third and last rotted, water damaged floor corner under the sink cabinet. Luckily we have the storage box that the PO had replaced, so by cutting out the dividing wall I gained better access to work and future service.
    I boxed out the opening for support and to give a lip of division between the box and the plumbing cabinet.

I found the drain hose had cracks at the floor drain connection and weeping of the drain surely occurred. I cut out to the next segment unfortunately as you can see in the picture, it's just to short and rubs/kinks when folding for travel. I know it would work but I also know it will surely fail, sooner than later and the first night out in a long trip.
    I am replacing the drain hose today! [MOD]

Seven Days till we goto Wells State Park for a week with our boys, girls and my folks in their A.S. a few sites up the loop!!

Almost finished work in pictures... Happy Camping!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Boston
    Adjusted the winch upper limit switch, added a bit of grease to the hubs and lift system and scissor jacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. ShellRidenour

ShellRidenour Live, Laugh, Love & Camp

Aug 12, 2012
    Clarksburg, West Virginia
    A year or so ago we sold our 1993 Coleman Destiny Rio Grande. Late last week we upgraded to a 2006 Flagstaff High Wall. We've been cleaning, troubleshooting a few issues, and sanitizing the water lines. We head out for our first trip to Cedar Creek State Park (WV) Thursday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    Started my upgrade to a 5k GVWR by replacing everything below the spring hangers on my trailer.

First got in new springs and U-bolt kits...

[​IMG]

...new wheels and tires (old on left, new on right)...

[​IMG]

...drilled the new holes for the spare tire mount as I changed from a 5 on 4.5" to an 8 on 6.5" pattern...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and mounted the spare...

[​IMG]

...put the camper on jack stands...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and removed the old axle, springs, U-bolts, tie plates, shackles, and suspension bolts.

[​IMG]

The new axle is on order and should be in within a week. The new suspension bolts and shackles will be in Thursday. On the axle we went with a 5.2k Dexter axle with Nev-R-Lube bearings (sealed cartridge style that doesn't have to be repacked every year) and Nev-R-Adjust brakes (self adjusting brakes that adjust in either forward or rearward movement). Hopefully this means that I will have less yearly maintenance tasks to perform. I'll still do a full inspection, but it just shouldn't take as long as before. Plus, I think this is the way that all of the higher end campers should come, even if we're talking about the upper end of popups. They put everything else on this camper, but then skimped when it came to the axle...

19. grandebob

grandebob New Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    New battery, new tires, and bearings repacked.

20. dillon2

dillon2 New Member

Jul 7, 2013
    repacked wheel bearings, checked the brakes and wonder of wonders, plugged into tv and everything worked! Even all of the lights. WOW, that never happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.