So, what did you do for your camper, June 2016?

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Here's your battery charge reminder, for those needing it.

We have our TT out on our third trip of the year (counting using it as a hotel), second dry one. We still use more power overnight than I'd like. The Zamp recharges it well, I was in camp yesterday, so did reorient the panel. It only serves to speed up recharging a bit, at least as far as I can determine.

Even after as many trips as we've had in the TT, we're still making changes in how we use space. That is partially dependent on the type of trip and weather, so I don't think we'll ever be done. This year, losing the use of the Thule roof box and the new TV just add to shifting uses of space.

2. Tin_man

Tin_man New Member

Jan 15, 2016
    We added storage items for our up coming 17 night trip. [​IMG]

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Catwalk

I built a ramp for K.C. to be able to easily walk up into the bunk. Still need to put 1/2 hoops on it and cover with netting. Also I need to replace the bunk end curtains with netting from ceiling to the bed-deck to enclose the bunk. That way her only way off the bunk is down the ramp.

K.C. has gone almost totally blind since last Fall. But at 17 and diabetic, she still loves to go camping with me.

Attached Files:

4. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    What we do for our pets! I've been there with blind cats (2 of them), one of whom was diabetic for 5 years. We never took any camping, we found sitters who could do shots.
    None of the current cats seem to be a candidate for camping. Miss weird-cat freaks just being in the car. The two younger ones are too active, the "kitten" will be a year old next month, is turning into the largest one I've had, manages to get to things long cat-proofed. No way could I keep him safe in the TT. He also taught the other young one, a bit older, how to get into things. They both fly through the air, Ciara from floor to my shoulder-that was a surprise the first time she did it, I did not teach it.
    I thought I could take Ciara camping, she likes to go outside on the leash. I have not been able to keep her from freaking out in the TT, even in the yard.

5. jasba

jasba Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Wisconsin
    We ordered LED bulbs to replace the current battery draining incandescent ones.

With no electricity on a rainy Memorial day weekend this last week we ran low on power and ended up with our LP/GAS detector beeping low power at us. We ended up having to disconnect it. We will have to look into a switch for it.

New rubber wheel chocks were also ordered.

6. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @CanoeGirl
    A disconnect for the LP/CO detector while camping? I'd prefer to save power elsewhere and use the detector.
    Do you have solar or a generator to recharge your battery? Without the ability to recharge a battery, in our Cobalt, we could maybe go 3 or 4 nights with one or two LED bulbs and judicious furnace use. Nothing else on that pup to power.
    With the TT, 1 or 2 nights would be it with all power items used, and keeping the battery above 50%. We now have two 6v golf cart batteries, so gained amp hours and the ability to drain them lower w/o shortening battery life.

7. Demi

Demi New Member

May 31, 2016
    Well, considering this will be the 1st full month with our "new to us" pup, we have started making a list of things we'd like to get accomplished! lol!

This month:
    Radio installed + speakers
    ... maybe start back up XM

Look at new flooring options

Hinge the storage compartment tops under seats - that nerves me!

Install bracket shelving

Look at TV addition ... maybe!!!

8. jasba

jasba Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Wisconsin
    @Kitphantom
    I agree. I didn't like the idea of disconnecting it, however we didn't actually have anything running at the time and it wouldn't stop beeping. We were only using the lights and water pump on occasion during the whole weekend. Since we never had a camper before we didn't know how long our battery should last. We probably need to look into a new battery as it is likely the original one our NTU 2011 Jayco 1207.
    We would rather not bother with a generator and although a solar charger is something we would consider I don't think it would have helped us much this last weekend with rain and a shady site.
    If there are any previous threads that you can recommend I would appreciate it. I will be doing a bit of research myself.

9. jasba

jasba Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Wisconsin
    [LOL] Mine are bugging me too. I hadn't gotten around to considering what to do about them though. Hinges sound like a good idea.

10. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @CanoeGirl
    The beeping meant that your battery was extremely low. If it is the original, especially if it hasn't been maintained well, replacing it probably a given.
    Read through the solar and power sections (In the Garage and At the Campsite are good sections on a whole to read.). I'd give specific links, but am on my phone, in camp!

11. Demi

Demi New Member

May 31, 2016
    Well, I asked my dear hubby if that would be the easiest fix. I'm not sure if I'll do just simple hinges or see if there is enough room for like a slide rod type set up so I can prop the compartment open if I need in there for a few minutes. He suggested adding more doors, but I don't want to be on the floor all the time!

Just need something to keep me from moving 40 things to get to one and then having to basically redo a seat!

12. starinmypocket

starinmypocket Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Well, it was a multi-stage process, but I finally painted the front tongue/frame of our PUP! There was a scrim of rust over the whole front tongue and one really bad spot under the frame in one corner that concerned me, so I wanted to get it taken care of ASAP.

I stripped the rust with naval jelly and rinsed it really well on Sunday. Today I cleaned everything up really well with a wire brush because I didn't have time to paint the day after I did the rust removal (like I was supposed to...) Wiped everything down with alcohol to get rid of the dust from the brushing, and then primed and painted it with Ace Hardware's heavy duty Rust Stop spray paint meant for outdoor metal.

I'm pretty pleased with it if I do say so myself, especially considering this is my very first spray painting endeavor.

Here are some shots of the process:
    [​IMG]Before

[​IMG] After rust removal and all taped up.

[​IMG] The finished product!

13. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Jun 21, 2012
    I looked at it longingly... [:(]

Almost two years now since we've been camping.

14. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @BigBaron-well darn, my first thought on seeing that you'd posted was that you finally had a chance to camp [:(]

15. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Brought it home from storage (we keep it off site except when we need it), and did my own version of the "shower rod galley shelf mod". Every version of it I've seen uses wire closet rack... I'm too cheap for that so I found some melamine shelves on clearance at Lowes which also allowed me to use the cheaper brackets. We shall see if there is a good reason for not doing it this way but it seems to work well... heading out this weekend and will give a report back with pics.

16. gketchup

gketchup Member

Feb 23, 2012
    My sister just did hers. The manufacturer placed the hinges at the edge of the wood which meant she could only open them 2/3's of the way. She got a longer hinge and put it about 4 inches in. A tip for you both...cut the middle section of the wood, leaving a couple of inches on both sides. Attach the hinge and then cut the ends. You won't have to line it up perfectly, it will already be done! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We're out camping, so we're enjoying it and making a list of things to add, restock or do when we get home. This is the second actual camping trip with the new TV, so we're still figuring that out. Ordered another bar to keep totes in place in the cargo bed. Took a dirt road yesterday and the bed is even less dirt-resistant than we thought. Using only closed totes for supplies was a good move.
    Ordered a new digital thermostat, the same Lux we had in the pup. It has a backlight, the Hunter we have now does not. That didn't seem bad, but grabbing a flashlight to see it got old.
    The rear-view monitor for the TT is out of service for the trip home this weekend. It had been blinking for the last couple of hours of our trip. We found a bent pin in a connector, which broke instead of straightening. Of course, it's on the hard-wired part. We ordered a replacement, since I have a week and a half at home before the Quad-State Rally. DH will repair the one to keep for a spare.
    I'm grateful we can order from Amazon from here, so things will arrive the day after we get home!

18. Strikeouthhh

Strikeouthhh Member

Jun 11, 2015
    St. Paul
    New canvas shipped yesterday!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

May 10, 2013
    Cobb County, GA
    Watched it disappear into the distance. *sigh*

Actually, DH and his brother left with it to stay for two weeks at Roan Mountain State Park while they join the other brother for two weeks of work on the family cabin. Part of the work involves replacing the entire plumbing system in the cabin, hence the need to stay at a campground. Sadly, I am staying here -- EVEN THOUGH THIS IS MY DESIGNATED VACATION TIME FROM WORK IF I WANT IT!!!!! -- and dealing with my elderly mother and her upcoming surgery. And not vacationing. Am I a happy camper? In a word, NO.

20. Strikeouthhh

Strikeouthhh Member

Jun 11, 2015
    St. Paul
    Guess what showed up today? [​IMG]

PU - 1991 Viking SP175
    TV - 2010 VW TDi Sportswagon STICK
    "I drank What!?!" - Socrates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.