So, what did you do for your camper, March 2016

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Here's your battery charge reminder for those on a monthly schedule.

I dropped our NTU tow vehicle ('15 Chevy Colorado) off at the dealer's this morning, to have running boards, locking tonneau cover and brake controller installed. The salesman was trying to track down the second key and remote for it, but no luck, so they are supposed to be working on a second set for us.

2. HondaCrazy

HondaCrazy New Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Installed OEM wire harness! (Still have to pick up pup)

3. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Changed reservations for the first planned trip of the year. For the new pup I have been gathering various parts and supplies to get it back into shape before summer. So far I've gotten 3 new tires, a couple new sets of bearings to be safe, new taillight, new interior light, and then some butyl tape and then Dicor self-leveling and ProFlex non-sag caulk to install the taillight and replace the silicone the previous owner used to seal it up.

Now I just for spring to get here so that I can get it out of storage to start working on it.

4. molanginaeda

molanginaeda Member

Sep 26, 2015
    I just ordered a bunch of items from etrailer. I'm getting ready to convert my TV from 4 pin to 7 pin connector. Also purchased a brake controller. Basically, it's part collection month. If the weather is warm enough, camper will be out of hibernation and we will start front yard camping.

5. 2001dennycoleman

2001dennycoleman Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Amarillo, Texas
    New tires and wheels, cut and installed new table top to replace old pressed board one that broke in half. Next am adding battery, have already put on brackets and box.

6. dfitzgerald727

dfitzgerald727 Member

Jan 24, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Got my days off for this summer lined out. Looking good for LOTS of camping!

7. kilmarlic

kilmarlic New Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I'm leaving work early this afternoon to take my little pop up to get some new lift cables. I think I'll have her axle greased and just have her underbelly cleaned and checked (sorta like a mani/pedi).

Once she's home with her sparkling new cables, I'm going to do a little modification to the slide for the sofa bed. The middle leg is dangling and needs some attention. I've got some fabric that is just begging to be part of the interior. Most likely it's going to be the new covers for the dinette cushions and a couple of throw pillows for the sofa end. I replaced the bunk end curtains last year. The cabinets may end up getting painted. I keep going back and forth on that. Just can't seem to convince myself to take the first brush stroke (or roller swipe).

While it's not for the actual PUP...I'm picking up a 10x14 canopy at Kmart this afternoon. They've got them on sale for $89. Regularly sell for $179.

I'm so stinking excited. This is without a doubt going to be the season of the PUP.

8. Segchris

Segchris New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Just received our new bike trailer for the little ones and I ordered roof top bike racks for the adult bikes. Starting to stock pile parts and when the weather gets nice I'll be adding roof cross bars to the pop, installing the bike racks and doing a few other small repairs.

9. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Picked up the TV today, since one of the kits (running boards or tonneau cover) was incomplete, so they couldn't finish yesterday. Also, brake controller, second key and remote set. They could not (apparently) disconnect the alarm, so we had a demonstration of how to use the key and keep the alarm from setting or being set off.
    Opened the roof vents on the TT, so it will air out. Windy season is beginning, so that may bring in as much pollen and dust as fresh air, but I plan on a good re-clean before the first trip.

10. Ny_Paul

Ny_Paul New Member

Jan 31, 2016
    Just got the under awning LED's and a secondary LP tank bracket which I'll be installing once the cold breaks (Monday will be in the 50's). Also after reading about the PVC pipe storage I am highly interested in that mod this month also.

11. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Put the pair of batteries on the charger, the single battery got charged earlier. (We used it for the trip to the tire store last weekend.)
    Made an appointment to have the TT detailed and the membrane roof treated this coming week. Not needing to do the roof ourselves frees up time this weekend, though it's so windy at the moment we might not be able to do the roof today. We're planning on keeping the TT for many years, so decided having it detailed professionally every now and again will be a good investment.

12. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

Aug 4, 2009
    SE US
    Set her up just to check things over and air out. [​IMG]

13. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    Paid for her and towed her home!! There will be a lot to do in the next few days/weeks!!

1973 Montgomery Ward Western Field Edition Pop Up Camper

Out the back
    [​IMG]

On the road again!!
    [​IMG]

14. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
  15. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Installed the new tires today. Unfortunately, I think they may be too big. The NTU pup had 5.7-8 tires on it, but the brochure I found online for my '95 Dutchmen said all trailers had 5.3-12 tires. I figured a previous owner must have switched them at some point, so I ordered the larger tires. However, after bolting them up, there isn't much clearance. I tried bouncing on it to see if it would hit the tire and it never did, but my 200 lbs is a lot less than the ~700 lbs each wheel will be carrying. The only thing I can figure is that Dutchmen used smaller tires on the 8' pups but didn't bother to mention that in the brochure.

I guess I'll take it for a drive and check for rubbing. If it doesn't rub, I guess I am ok. If it does, I'll either need to get new smaller tires or do an axle "flip". The axle flip will be the least expensive by far since the tires came from etrailer and return shipping will cost a fortune. Or I will sell the tires locally for a loss and just chalk it up as a SPUT.

On a more positive note, I was able to find a Thetford Campa Potti on craigslist for only $10. New in box, still wrapped in plastic.

16. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I painted the battery support we added last year. I have no idea why we didn't paint it before putting it onto the TT. I painted parts of it sight unseen. What I can see looks good now that it has dried, I hope the rest did as well.
    We ordered some Plano totes, in three sizes. Our first trip is in less than two weeks, and we realized that we have had a Thule roof top box for 20 years, through 3 or 4 vehicles (depends on whether you count the '96 and '02 Outbacks as one or two). Our first one was smaller, the current one is one of the larger ones. Made a great attic space once we camped with the pups, and we liked having the white gas and LP canisters out of the vehicle. With the NTU truck, putting even the smaller Thule on the top would require new racks; the larger one wouldn't fit. The first couple of trips should be interesting to pack.
    While we didn't de-winterize yet, I did drain the antifreeze/seal conditioner combo out of the toilet. It had turned to gel as it evaporated, so there was a skin on the toilet surface. I filled it with plain water and will let it sit for a couple of days.

17. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    Uncovered her hopefully for the last time yesterday. Didn't pop it up but am hoping that we are through with winter. One last spurt of snow last week then got into the 40' to low 50's over the weekend. If the weather cooperates will open it up next weekend and pull everything out and begin the mods for the 2016 season. Probably won't see our first trip until late April or May but can't wait. Just nice to look at the camper in the driveway without the tented tarp over it. [:D]

18. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

Nov 14, 2010
    [:(] Our poor camper is still sleeping. But I hope to awaken her from her winter nap in two weeks. I can't wait to get back in the woods.

19. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Aired out the truck yet again, wiped it down with the one of the cleaners suggested in my thread on the flowery stink of this poor truck. It's getting better, but has quite a way to go.
    Did a couple of small tasks in the TT, as I slowly clean and restock it. Found a dowel in the garage, to try out as a "lock" for the drawer stack. The drawers open on the road - after having the tires changed last week, I discovered things had actually jumped out of the top drawer on that trip.

20. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Our popup is still in hibernation, and will stay that way until May, but since the weather is warming up this week I stuck an outdoor ant trap under it.
    I also got some trip prep done! I have either checked out or placed on reserve every book on Acadia NP from our library system, and pulled the trigger on some planned purchases: new backpack, trail runners, and trekking poles. I saw a Presto MyJo on clearance at Walmart and bought it, because I can't pass up coffee paraphernalia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.