So, what did you do for your camper, March 2017?

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Mar 1, 2017.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Spring creeps closer for many of us, so folks are beginning to camp for the year, or at least thinking about mods, repairs and prepping for camping. It also looks like we have quite a few new members and/or new or NTU campers.

For those who need one, here's your battery charge reminder.

What are you doing for your camper? Interesting mods, repairing mysterious glitches, or ???

2. jwdogman@yahoo.com

jwdogman@yahoo.com Member

Jan 13, 2016
    I bought a group 27 Interstate battery from Gander Mtn. $20 off coupon so good deal. I bought a group 24 last year because my [PU] had a nice metal battery holder that size. I realized that even though I was only running a fan at night and minimal lights it wasn't enough. I can't decide if I want/need to go back and get another 27 to hook the 2 new batteries together ( they have one there with the same date stamp) or just use the 1 year old group 24 as a backup to the new group 27?

3. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    charged battery. need to fill propane tanks,and swap in a new shower hose for outside shower. and pack it. we camp next weekend for 2 nights. [:D]

4. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
  5. 61cubby

61cubby New Member

Nov 12, 2014
    [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(]It's in storage until the end of next month, but I'm thinking about it daily! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

6. Va_Camper

Va_Camper Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Virginia
    Put the new tail light cover on and realized the tab had broke off of one side. So, I will now silicone the one side to keep it on and be able to remove it later. Thinking about changing to LED lights on the tail lights before I do that. Going to be getting a new battery and refilling my propane this month as well.

7. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    This weekend will change anode rod, water filter and pressure up water system and check for any leaks. Grease all fittings, wench, bed slides, lifter post, and stabilizer jacks. Check LP system for any leaks. Wheel bearings were packed last month along with proper torque on wheel lugs. Give her a good wash and wax and get ready for this season to start. Its been a long winter!!

8. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    Pulled the cover off it yesterday (actually the 50mph+ gust winds did most of the work for me). Looks like it made it through the worst of the winter pretty well. Of course it's still too early and we might still see some snow but I'm hopeful or that it will be very little. If the winds die and it turns warmer I'll try to get it open in the next week or so to make sure I didn't get any tenants over the winter.

9. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @JPBar - I assume you might know this, but remember to re-check the torque after driving a bit. We do it at about 10, 25, and 50-100 miles. We learned - the hard way - that the lug nuts can loosen up, when the entire wheel flew off on the interstate with our first pup.
    That first pup was the worst for loosening up, the second didn't loosen as much. Both were stable by the third check. The TT seems to be less apt to loosen, but we still check. A torque wrench is part of the travel tool list.

10. Mogimus

Mogimus Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    I spend a few hours the other day chasing wires to find a short in my 120 line. Found this and fixed it.
    [​IMG]

I am currently expanding my BAL Leveler to fit my upgraded tire size, replacing all my LED's, waiting for a bunch of goodies from Amazon, and getting ready for a 5 day outing to Zion next week for spring break [:D]

bob barnes likes this.
  11. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Yes I do kitpantom. I always check them when we to get campground before I unhook from the truck and at home before we leave on each trip, I carry the torque wrench in the tool box when pulling the camper, it has come in handy. Last year another camper was on side of the road with a blow out. Poor guy did not even have a jack to change the tire. Sometimes you just have to shake your head and wonder.

RollTideRick likes this.
  12. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @JPBar - checking at the campground would not have been soon enough, the wheel flew off about 25 miles from home. Lesson learned for us. (A road work truck was right behind us, saw it happen, had the correct lug nuts, changed the wheel for us - DH had broken ribs from a bicycle accident two days before - and we limped back to Camping World, about 5 miles on the frontage road, to redo the bearings.)

13. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Sorry to hear about your issue, glad it all worked out and nobody was hurt. Happy Camping!!

14. deLuxx

deLuxx New Member

Jan 31, 2016
    Colorado
    Charged the battery. Also picked up a new to me 2005 Nissan Xterra with manual transmission. Should be way better to tow than using my wife's Subaru Forester.

15. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    any pics of the new decals. ?

16. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @vagov- I probably won't have a chance for pics of the new decal until the end of the month. There is just enough space to squeeze behind the TT as we park it, so not enough of a good angle to take a photo.

I ordered the 6" high letters to match the ones on the side:
    [​IMG]curb side name by Andrea Vaughan, on Flickr

17. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Shopping again! 2 heated mattress pads for $12 each on clearance at Walmart. And new dishes $19 at Costco! Melamine so shouldn't break.

Attached Files:

18. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Look at our PUP sitting in our driveway everyday and say to myself, "Stop looking at it, you don't have the time right now to start any projects." Then, at night, find myself looking online for various project parts or campgrounds. When we finally retire, we're going to start a PUP Rehab Center...

19. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I swung by Cabelas this morning just to take a gander and ended up walking out with a cart full. I've never really found many good deals in the bargain cave, until today. They had an open box Camp Chef Portable fire pit for $50 and I couldn't resist at that price. I also picked up an adapter meant to turn a 2 bike rack into 4. I don't have the particular track it matches, for for $3.50 I couldn't pass it up. Maybe I'll find a use for it on a custom build some day. [:D] Then I got a few odds and ends like porta-potty friendly toilet paper and some fishing supplies. I'm ready to get the pup out.

20. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Colorado
    After rebuilding the gate to a single panel, flush swing last fall I needed to finish the pad now that the ground has thawed. Pulled the cover, towed her out, and went to work on the parking spot. Had to level 30ft of rock and dirt so she isn't canted toward the fence on the way in/out. The difference really made parking it a lot easier when you only had 8in of clearance on both sides. Good thing I use to tow jets in the Air Force [:D]. Of course any good intention has to have a negative consequence. Wind slammed the gate against the camper on the way out and busted the retaining tab on the porch light! Hero to Zero in 30 seconds. Don't really care for the cataract causing porch light so I was shopping around but didn't find anything amazing to replace it with. May add a potentiometer so I can dim it from inside. Already have LEDs under the step and like that better.
    Added red sandstone pavers to the pad just to give the chocks a good place to grab the tires.
    Polished the lugs and wheel center pieces just to get the road funk off of them. Will start on the diamond plating next weekend.
    Renewed insurance, Good Sam membership, and updated the camping journal.