So, what did you do for your camper, May 2016

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    First of the month, so time for for battery charge reminder (for those who need one).

We've had sustained winds overnight in the 40s, with peak wind gusts overnight (at the nearest PWS) to 67 mph. I doubt we'll get the few after-trip things we planned for the TT done today.

2. BaysideJim

BaysideJim Member

May 5, 2015
    Denver, Colorado
    I had planned on getting the pup from storage and doing some general cleaning and looking at adding a cargo carrier...... but IT IS STILL SNOWING in Denver!

3. molanginaeda

molanginaeda Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Today is a bit chill for outdoor work. I have plan to repack the bearing or replaced the bearing. Getting ready for my big trip. I will also clean and re-lube the whiffle tree.

"Send it" from my iPhone VIP

4. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Packed wheel bearings dewinterized

5. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too windy (current gusts in the 50+ mph range) and cold to do much outside today. Draining the fresh water and hot water tanks will have to wait. We bought dry lube for the stabs, but again not the day to use that.
    I did check on something in the TT, and the door latch misbehaved yet again. Every once in a while, it is impossible to insert the key in one of the keyholes. Opening and shutting the door hard resolved the issue, but it's gotten old. Ordered a new latch set.

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Replaced the interior lights with LEDs, replaced a broken cabinet latch, measured all the curtains and valances for my planned curtain upgrade, rerouted the sink supply lines so they wouldn't get as pinched when the galley was folded over, checked the fit for the portable ironing board, and measured for a new shower curtain for the shoilet.

AC started to freeze up again so it must be low on freon. Already cleaned out the vanes on both ends, good airflow so I know that isn't the problem. Might call a bud of mine and see if he would be wiling to cut the line and braze a port onto it and recharge it before I have to start looking for a new unit.

7. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    Continued working on the 12V system. Ran a new main line from the battery into the trailer and added a fuse panel and grounding bar. Hopefully this coming weekend the rain will have ended and I can finish it up and start to tackle the fresh water system.

8. SLOTerp

SLOTerp Member

May 25, 2015
    Ashburn, VA
    1) Finished covering the back cushions (curtains completed in April).

2) Stapled Velcro to the underside of roof ends to hold Gizmos. Installed the Gizmos for the first time. I used the metal ring solution to hold the shock cords underneath the tent ends. DW sided on letting them stay even if she doesn't care for the aesthetics.

Attached Files:

9. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

May 19, 2010
    sweet...where did you get the metal rings? thanks

10. Freedom72

Freedom72 Member

May 19, 2010
    I purchased some carpet padding...I cut out a piece to fit perfectly under the mattress we sleep on. Made a huge difference and doesnt interfere with the pup shutting. The pad is called odor ban from Lowes. It has a thin rubber coating on one side. Cost me $30.00

11. SLOTerp

SLOTerp Member

May 25, 2015
    Ashburn, VA
    One of the craft stores, I think Michael's.

12. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Picked up my patched campout awning and its' shiny new awning bag and slid it back into its' awning channel. So nice to have a working zipper again! I had a local Tent & Awning shop do the repairs for $75 including taxes.

[​IMG]

13. Bill Myrick

Bill Myrick New Member

Nov 2, 2015
    In the last two weeks, Replaced the wheel bearings, took it off the jack stands (had it up for the winter). Replaced the rusty screws and rotten plastic strip covering them for the trim running down the center of the roof. Resealed all seams, corners, and a minor hole in the roof. One coat rustoleum oil based primer, two coats exterior satin, colonial white. Looks SOOO much better. I bought the rig last October and did most of the mechanical services and repairs [MOD] ( plumbing, wiring, new tires, lubing the lifts and cables) last fall. I also installed a rear bumper. Rig had been in a minor accident prior to the previous owner. Left rear corner wrinkled, no bumper. Installed new "pins" for the bed supports so that the beds now sit level. I had a PRO service the wiffle tree and set the top height. (if you live near Sacramento, and need service let me know and I'll give you his number. Top notch and very reasonable.) I installed LED replacements for the 12vdc interior bulbs. A 25 year old rig fully restored that looks almost new. Canvas is probably about 2 years old. Clear vinyl windows are still crystal clear. Paid $1500 for it, $600 invested in it. All that is left is to find a small battery for the 12vdc lights, build a holder for it to mount to the tongue in front of the propane tank. After that, she's ready to roll. [:D] Taking it out to the mountains for a week, for my birthday and Memorial weekend.

1990 Roanoke [PU]

14. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    Set it up at home to dry out from this past weekend rain.

15. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    At Freedom72:
    When we did the ring mod for our PUGs, we found the rings at Lowe's. I ordered lash hooks on Ebay, we used a ring for each side and never had to unhook them:
    [​IMG]newest PUGs mod by Andrea Vaughan, on Flickr

PUGs were one of the best investments we made on the pups, for comfort (in hot and cold weather) and protection from sap and bird poo on the bunk end roofs.

16. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    After heavy rains this morning, figured it wouldn't hurt to check the inside of the camper.... everything was nice and dry [:D]

17. ftfamily

ftfamily New Member

Jul 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

I started painting cabinets today. The primer doesn't look so pretty, I can't wait to get to the paint. I am using Grabber primer and Behr ultra paint.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

18. 00 Quad Cab

00 Quad Cab Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Well I got the shock cord replacement done, all the vinyl cleaned and treated, seam sealed everything again. I also polished the aluminum rails down both sides just for fun.

Just waiting on my 2 new propane tank to regulator line to show up so I can finish testing the rest of the appliances.

Can't get the smell of simple green out of my nose now.

To do list: pack bearings, test brakes, lube wiffle tree and crank chain, rig temporary batery charger until I can replace converter do final checks and pack all permanent trailer stuff.

I want to be as ready as possible for our 4 day Memorial day trip.

19. jasba

jasba Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Opened it up and checked it over.
    We flush and sanitized the water tank and lines.
    Opened up our memory foam topper and tried it out for an afternoon. [SNZ] Seems like it will work [;)]
    Bought some sterlite drawers and a couple of crates for storage.
    Washed the windows and wiped down the cabinets and floor.

20. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    My husband installed the new latch/lock, so I'll need to have another key made next week. (We each have one and there's another full set of camping keys, including all the padlocks.) It's the same as the original set, which made installation easier. We damaged the original one, so no qualms about ordering the same brand.

Finally added chemicals to the waste tanks and drained the hot water tank. I remembered to release the pressure by opening a tap, so no flying anode or unexpected sprays of water (this time).
    Fresh water tank will have to wait, DH leaves on a trip tomorrow and I can't get under the TT well enough to reach the drain, at least without tweaking one or more cranky joints.

Bought a tarp and an inexpensive comforter, to transport DH's mountain bike on the next trip. We're planning on strapping it on the bed, so want to protect the bedding from the bike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.